|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Sai Institute Bhubaneswar
Oriya: ସମ୍ବଲପୁର ବିଶ୍ଵବିଦ୍ୟାଳୟ
|Motto||Vidyaya Vindatemrutam(ବିଦ୍ୟାୟା ବିନ୍ଦତେମୃତମ)|
|Established||4 January 1967|
|Location||Sambalpur, Odisha, India
Sambalpur University is located at Sambalpur, India in the Indian state of Odisha. Popularly known as Jyoti Vihar. It offers courses at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels. Governor of Odisha is the Chancellor of the university. The campus is located 15 km away from Sambalpur in Burla.
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Infrastructure and facilities
- 4 Administration Hierarchy
- 5 Central library (Prof.Bhubaneswar Behera Central Library)
- 6 Admission
- 7 Academics and research
- 8 Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 List of the Professor who became Vice-Chancellors of any University
- 11 References
- 12 External links
On 10 December 1966 Sambalpur University Act was passed by the Odisha Legislature for establishment of a University in the Western part of Odisha. This institute started from 1 January 1967. The first Vice-Chancellor of this varsity was Prof. Parsuram Mishra. First, the University started functioning in 1967 in a rented private building at Dhanupali, Sambalpur; then in a government building at Ainthapali, Sambalpur. In 1973 the University was shifted to the present campus named Jyoti Vihar at Burla.
The present campus of the University is located at Burla, 2 km away from NH 6. The campus of this university is in the vicinity of Mahanadi Coal Fields Limited, VSSUT and located on the foothills of the world famous Hirakud Dam.
Infrastructure and facilities
Sambalpur University is located at Burla, Western Odisha. The university is surrounded by dense forest and hills. This campus is very natural and beautiful. One can enjoy the green scenery during winter and rainy season. This varsity is well known as the knowledge hub of Western Odisha.
There are ten postgraduate hostels in the university campus out of which four are ladies’ hostels and six are men’s hostels. The university provides several facilities to the boarders in the hostels like common room with television, reading room with newspaper and magazine, guest room, first aid, STD telephone booth, etc. The central canteen has been opened near the hostel campus for the benefit of students. There are two nationalized banks, one post-office, one health center, one auditorium, one police-out post, one faculty house and one community center have been established in the university campus for providing services to students/teachers and employees in the campus.
- Chancellor: Dr. S.C. Jamir (Governor and chancellor of universities)
- Vice-Chancellor: Prof.Bishnu Ch. Barik
- Chairman PG Council: Prof.Somnath Bag
Central library (Prof.Bhubaneswar Behera Central Library)
The central library of the university is known as Prof. B. Behera Central Library, which is located in the heart of the university. This library contains more than 160,000 books in various subjects, and also subscribes to a good numbers of periodicals in different disciplines. The library is partially automated using SOUL software. The library is also a member of UGC-Infonet.
- Librarian:Mr.Rajendra Kumar Thaty
- Units of the Library:
The Library has been divided into a number of Units that include: • Stack area and Circulation Unit (Ground Floor) • Computer Centre, Internet-based Information faculty, E-Journals (First Floor) • General Reference Books and Ph.D. theses (First floor) • Administrative Office (First Floor) • Photocopying Unit (First Floor) • Reading Room for Text Books (Second Floor) • Reading Rooms for Print Journals (Second Floor) • Processing Unit (Second Floor) • Back Volumes of Journals (Third Floor)
- Library Services: The Library offers the following services:
• Reading Room for Text Books, Journals and Reference Books • Reference services • Photocopying • Circulation of books • Internet-based Information services • Library Orientation • Inter Library Loan
The Library houses a wide range of resources, which includes, as of dt. 27.11.2010, about 122523 books, about 4500 subscriptions to e-journals subscribed under the UGC-INFONET ejournal consortium programme, 13 newspapers, 14, 323 bound volume and 1988 theses besides 260 CDs.
- E-Journals through UGC-INFONET:
The Library is a part of the UGC-INFONET E-Journal Consortium and the University academic community is able to access over 4500 e-journal covering all the disciplines studied in this University.
- Saptarshi (ISSN – 0973-3264):
Besides books, B B Central Library has also been assigned the task of bringing out ‘Saptarshi’, the quarterly Oriya magazine, published by Sambalpur University since 1969.
Admission to PG Diploma, MA, M Sc., M Tech, M.Phil, M.C.A, M.B.A and PhD courses are being conducted with an entrance examination. A smart number of candidates from various parts of the country/abroad come for this examination.
Academics and research
The postgraduate (PG) departments of Sambalpur University offers PG Diploma, MA, M Sc., M Tech, M.Phil, PhD, and D.Sc degrees. All the departments are actively involved in research and well equipped for research facility for NET/JRF/GATE students. This varsity offers a limited numbers of scholarships for bright students to pursue their research work in various fields. Many PG departments have been recognized as centre of excellence and have been receiving special grants for conducting cutting edge research. Various P.G. Depts are also working on DRS projects. Apart from this the university faculties have their own research projects funded by national and international agencies and the students are admitted as research fellows in such schemes. Following are the PG departments of Samabalpur University, Jyoti Vihar.
- Anthropology: Social and Physical Anthropology
- Business Administration http://www.sumba.in/
- Chemistry: Inorganic, Organic, Physical and Industrial Chemistry
- Computer Science:
- Earth Science:Remote Sensing, digital image processing, analysis of Rocks, Minerals and Water
- Economics: The research areas are: Development Economics, Agricultural Economics, Political Economy, Applied Econometrics, Applied Economic Theory, Public Finance, Money & Finance, Macro Economics Theory, Applied Mathematical Economics, and Industrial Economics.
- Electronics: Microwaves,Embedded System,DSP,Neural Network and Fuzzy logic, Instrumentation
- English: Comparative Literature, Translation Studies, 18th Century British Fiction, American Literature, Post Colonial literature, Native American Studies, Linguistics & ELT, Indian English Literature.
- Environmental Science
- Home Science
- Life Science : Biochemistry, Ecology, Microbiology, Physiology,Genetic Engineering, Bioprocess Technology, Industrial Mcrobiology and Plant and Animal Tissue Culture
- Physics: SPECIALISATIONS OFFERED
1. M.Sc Physics
a. Electronic b. Nuclear Physics c. Particle Physics d. Condensed Matter Physics (Solid State Physics) e. Computer Application
2. M.Phil Physics
a. Materials Physics and Devices b. Gravitation, Cosmology and Astrophysics c. Many Body Theory
3. Ph.D Physics
a. Electronic b. Nuclear Physics c. Particle Physics d. Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics (Solid State Physics) e. Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
- Political Science
M.A- (1) Rural Sociology, (2) Sociology of Environment(3)Sociology of Health M.A- Rural Management( Self finance) M.Phil- (1) Informal Sector, (2) Human Ecology (3) Sociology of Health PG Diploma In Social Work &Human Resource Development(Distance mode)
M.A./M.Sc:- Numerical Analysis, Stochastic Processes, Queueing Theory, Inventory, Operations Research, Applied Statistics, Bio-Statistics, SQC & Reliability, DMS M.Phil:- Stochastic Inference, Stochastic Differential Equation, Operations Research Ph.D:- Probability Theory, Stochastic Process, Operation Research, Applied Statistics.
- Law : The research areas are Commercial Law, Personal Law & Criminal Law
- Library & Information Science: The Department imparts a two-years Masters Level Programme in Library & Information Science (MLISc), One-year Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) and Ph.D in Library & Information Science as regular course. It also conduct One-Year P. G. Diploma in Library Automation and Networking (PGDLAN) under Distance Education Mode.
- Sambalpuri Studies
- Sambalpur University Institute of Information Technology
- Center for Food Science & Technology
Sambalpur University established the Center for Food Science & Technology in 2010 as an interdisciplinary center of study to offer courses on Food Science & technology and carry out research in areas of food science, food technology, food processing and Nutrition. The emphasis of the center is interdisciplinary study with social relevance. The centers at present have the associated regular faculties of the three collaborating departments of the University, i.e. Department of Home Science, School of Life Sciences, School of Chemistry. The center started functioning with the M.Tech program in Food Science & Technology with the support of Ministry of Food Processing Industries, Government of India.
1. M. Tech course in Food Science & Technology 2. M.Sc Food Science and Nutrition. 3. P.G Diploma in Food Science & Technology (1 Year)
- Notes of Political Science
Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education
The Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education has started in the year 1998 with only on-campus courses in collaboration with P.G. Departments of Sambalpur University. In the year 2000 the Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education has launched BCA, PGDCA and PGDIT courses. In the year 2003 the Directorate of Distance and Continuing Education has started floating MCA (Direct and Lateral), DCA Course and In the year 2006 the D.D.C.E. has started floating MBA (Off Campus) full-time courses. http://www.sambalpuruniversityddce.com/aboutus.html
- Prof. Arun K Purjari (Head-Dept. of CIS, University of Hyderabad & former VC of Sambalpur University)
- Prof. Bishnu Chaaran Barik (Present VC of Sambalpur University) http://suniv.ac.in/page.php?page=administration-hierarchy
- Prof.Aditya Ku Padhi (Former VC of Berhampur University)
- Prof.Deepak Kumar Behera ( Present VC of Berhampur University)
- Surya Mohapatra, 131st highest paid CEO
- Mr. Ranjan Ku Panda(Western Odisha Climate Crusader)
List of the Professor who became Vice-Chancellors of any University
- Prof.Sukhdev Nanda
- Prof.Laxminarayan Mishra
- Prof.Nabin Sahu
- Prof.Sadhucharan Panda
- Prof.Prabodh ku Mishra
- Prof.Madhav Ch Dash
- Prof. U.C. Biswal
- Prof.Bishnu Ch. Barik (Vice-Chancellor of Sambalpur University)
- Prof. Deepak Ku Behra (Vice-Chancellor of Berhampur University)
- Prof. Adidtya Pr. Padhee
- "Sambalpur University". Sambalpur University. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Manuscript Conservation Centres". National Mission for Manuscripts. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology, Odisha". Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Research Facility". Sambalpur University. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Post Graduate". Sambalpur University. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Surya N Mohapatra". Forbes.
Prof Bishnu Charan Barik (Present Vice Chancellor of Sambalpur University)