Same-sex marriage in Japan
Same-sex marriage is not legal in Japan. Article 24 of the Japanese constitution states that "Marriage shall be based only on the mutual consent of both sexes and it shall be maintained through mutual cooperation with the equal rights of husband and wife as a basis."
|This section requires expansion. (July 2014)|
On March 27, 2009, it was reported that Japan has given the green light for its nationals to marry same-sex foreign partners in countries where same-sex marriages are legal. Japan does not allow same-sex marriages domestically and has so far also refused to issue a key document required for citizens to wed overseas if the applicant's intended spouse was of the same legal sex. Under the change, the justice ministry has instructed local authorities to issue the key certificate—which states a person is single and of legal age—for those who want to enter same-sex marriages.
Since May 15, 2012, the Tokyo Disney Resort has allowed symbolic (not government recognized) same-sex marriage ceremonies in its Cinderella's Castle hotel. On March 3, 2013, its first same-sex marriage was held. Koyuki Higashi married her partner, who was only identified by the name Hiroko.
A May 2013 Ipsos poll found that out of over a thousand Japanese adult interviewees, 24% of respondents were in favor of same-sex marriage and another 27% supported other form of recognition for same-sex couples. An April 2014 Ipsos poll found 26% respondents were in favor of same-sex marriage and 24% were in favor of some other form of recognition for couples.
According to the survey by Nihon Yoron Chosa-ka, conducted on 1 and 2 March 2014, 42.3% of Japanese supported or somewhat supported same-sex marriage, while 52.4% oppose or somewhat oppose it.
- "Japan allows its citizens same-sex marriage abroad". Google. Agence France-Presse. 27 March 2009. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Rev. Taka (May 11, 2011). "Promoting the Same-Sex Marriage and LGBT Rights in Japan". Shunkoin Today.
- 同性結婚、ミッキーマウスも支持 東京ディズニーリゾート - AFP(2012年9月8日閲覧)
- 元タカラジェンヌと女性のカップルが、東京ディズニーリゾートで初の同性挙式 - インターナショナルビジネスタイムズ(2013年3月3日閲覧)
- "Same-Sex Marriage". Ipsos. 7–21 May 2013.
- "Same-Sex Marriage: Respondents in 15 Countries Assess Their Views on Same-Sex Marriage". Ipsos. June 2014.
- 52.4% of Japanese say they oppose same-sex marriage