Recognition of same-sex unions in Luxembourg
|Legal recognition of
† Not yet in effect
Partnerships (partenariats) for same-sex and opposite-sex couples were legalised in Luxembourg through legislation in July 2004, which took effect on 1 November 2004. They have many of the rights of marriage in relation to access to welfare benefits and fiscal advantages but not the same as marriage. They do not give the right to jointly adopt children. Legislation allowing for same-sex marriage has been pending for several years.
The ruling Christian Social People's Party until 2009 was opposed to same-sex marriage, even though the Prime Minister, originating from the same party, has expressed his personal support. In July 2007, the motion calling for legalisation of same-sex marriage was rejected by parliament, on a 38-22 vote.
In July 2009, the Government of Luxembourg, led by Jean-Claude Juncker, announced its intention to legalise same-sex marriage. During a debate on 19 January 2010, the Minister of Justice, François Biltgen announced that a law to legalise same-sex marriage (with exception of certain adoption rights) would be finalized before the summer vacation break of the parliament. On 9 July 2010, the government accepted the bill; on 10 August 2010, it was submitted to the parliament.
In May 2012, the bill was re-drafted and the vote was not expected at least until 2013. On 27 November 2012, the Council of State delivered a negative response to the bill, but asked the Parliament to open a debate on the topic if it moved to vote on the bill. Some members of the Council submitted separate opinion supporting the bill.
On 6 February 2013, the Chamber's justice committee agreed to approve the measure opening marriage for same-sex couples. On 20 February, the committee initially backed the right to simple adoption for same-sex couples, but restricting plenary adoption to opposite-sex couples. On 6 March 2013, the committee confirmed that position. However, on 4 June, the Council of State issued a second review, rejecting the compromise to allow simple adoption for all couples while restricting plenary adoption to opposite-couples only. On 19 June 2013, the justice committee decided to back full adoption rights for same-sex couples. The bill was expected to be voted on by the parliament in the autumn, however a further delay was caused by the elections in October 2013 following the resignation of the Luxembourgish government.
The coalition agreement of the new government, sworn in on 4 December 2013, includes marriage and adoption rights for same-sex couples, scheduled for the first trimester of 2014.
- (French) La loi relative aux effets légaux de certains partenariats adoptée par la Chambre des députés
- (French) Loi du 9 juillet 2004 relative aux effets légaux de certains partenariats
- The Partenariat (PACS)
- (French) Question de mariage
- (French) Résolution Sujet : Mariage des couples homosexuels
- (French) Le Luxembourg devrait autoriser les mariages homosexuels
- Luxembourg Considers Legalizing Gay Marriage and Adoption
- (German) "Luxemburg will Ehe öffnen". Queer.de. 22 January 2010.
- (German) Homo-Ehe auch in Luxemburg
- (French) Conseil de gouvernement Résumé des travaux du 9 juillet 2010
- (French) Ouverture du mariage aux couples de même sexe et réforme de l'adoption
- (French) "Les gays pourront bientôt se marier et adopter". L'essentiel. 9 July 2010.
- Is gay marriage on the way for Luxembourg?
- (French) 6172
- (French) 6172A
- (French) Des dossiers en attente au Conseil d'État
- (French) AVIS DU CONSEIL D’ETAT
- (French) Vers le mariage homosexuel
- (French) Les couples homosexuels pourront adopter
- (French) Adoption pour couples de même sexe bientôt possible
- (French) L'adoption simple pour couples homosexuels
- (French) "Une adoption simple pour les couples gay?". L'essentiel. 6 March 2013.
- State Council objects to new adoption law
- "Luxembourg: Le Conseil d'État balaie le compromis". Le Quotidien. 6 June 2013.
- "Breakthrough in adoption law reform for same-sex couples". Wort.lu. 19 June 2013.
- (French) "L'adoption plénière pour les couples homosexuels?". L'essentiel. 19 June 2013.
- "Adoption et mariage gay devront attendre". L'essentiel. 25 July 2013.
- "Programme gouvernemental". Government of Luxembourg. p. 12.
- "Eight EU Countries Back Same-Sex Marriage". Angus Reid Global Monitor. 2006-12-24. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Majority in Luxembourg supports gay marriage