Sami Abu Zuhri
Sami Abu Zuhri (سامي أبو زُهْري) is a senior spokesman for the Palestinian organization Hamas. Zuhri gained notoriety on May 19, 2006, before which time he was a relatively unknown member of Hamas, when Palestinian security and customs officials discovered he had 640,000 euros on his person; another report claimed he held a larger sum of 900,000 euros, and confiscated it, after Zuhri dropped a concealed money belt at a routine border crossing from Egypt to Gaza. The news brought competing Hamas and Fatah paramilitary forces to the crossing checkpoint, which Zuhri refused to leave without the banknotes, which had been confiscated as contraband. Abu Zuhri told a reporter from the Arab broadcaster Al-Jazeera that the money had been donated privately by individuals he met during a tour of Arab nations.
The European monitors, who took up the station when Israel pulled out of Gaza, are charged with checking for contraband, which sometimes includes weapons and food. Julio De La Guardia, a spokesman for the European Union contingent that monitors the passage, said travelers crossing through Rafah must declare all sums over $2,000.
Abu Zuhri stated his objection to the inclusion of what he referred to as the "so-called Holocaust" in the proposed UNRWA lesson plan for students in Gaza. He continued "we think it's more important to teach Palestinians the crimes of the Israeli occupation."
- Washington Post 14 September 2008 Abbas aims to stay in office to 2010 despite Hamas Reuters article
- Daily Telegraph Israeli minister vows Palestinian "holocaust" By Tim Butcher
- Reuters 15 May 2008 Bush hails Israel's "chosen people" as Arabs lament
- Hamas spokesman Abu Zuhri quoted 28 June 2004
- Zuhri Interview with Sami Abu Zuhri, 30 September 2005
- CNN News, Hamas official caught at border with more than $1 million 19 May 2006
- ABC News: "Hamas Official Caught Smuggling $817,000"
- IMEMC Abu Zuhri calls on Abbas to declare the failure of peace talks 26 April 2008
- Ha'aretz 20 April 2008 Report: Hamas rejects Egyptian plan for truce with Israel
- JpostHizbullah's terror chief killed in Damascus bombing By Yaakov Katz
- Washington Post 5 August 2008 Gazans' Access To Care Faulted Israeli Interrogation Criticized in Report By Linda Gradstein
|This article about a Palestinian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|