11 March 1954 |
New Delhi, India
The Times Group
Ashok Kumar Jain
|Relatives||Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain
Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain
Samir Jain (born 1954) belongs to the Sahu Jain family and is the current Vice-Chairman of India's largest media group, Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd., parent company of The Times of India and other large newspapers. He is a spiritualist, an entrepreneur, an educationalist, a humanist, a patron of art and culture. In his capacity as Vice-Chairman of The Times Group, Samir has since infused new energy into the growth of India's largest media house.
Education and personal life
In 1975 Samir joined the family owned Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. as a junior executive. Over the next 7 years he gained experience and was soon managing the company's media interests while his father Ashok Jain managed the non-publishing parts. By 1982 Samir was vice chairman and running the entire company as his father pursued by charges of fraud and suffering from a weak heart departed to seek medical treatment in the United States. Samir spent the 1980s remaking Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. (BCCL) into an innovative marketing company. He sensed the zeitgeist and was poised when the liberalisation reform in 1991 allowed a new Indian with money to spend and immediate desires to gratify. His business proposition was simple: he would connect sellers of goods to this vast market of consumers. He was the first in media industry to dispense with the post of an Editor.
- The Times of India, World's largest English-language broadsheet daily newspaper in terms of circulation
- The Economic Times, India's largest financial daily, and the world's second largest in terms of circulation after The Wall Street Journal
- Maharashtra Times, Marathi daily
- Navbharat Times, Hindi Daily in Delhi and Mumbai
- Mumbai Mirror India's largest circulated compact newspaper
- Kolkata Mirror
- Ahmedabad Mirror
- Pune Mirror
- Bangalore Mirror, Bangalore's first morning compact daily
- Vijaya Karnataka, no 2nd Kannada daily.
- ZigWheels, India's largest Automobile magazine.
- ET Wealth, India's largest Personal Finance compact weekly.
- Filmfare, India's largest circulated film magazine
- Femina (India), India's beauty and lifestyle magazine
Along with the above, the group also publishes several supplements for their magazines.
- Trishla Jain - Artist
- "Trishla Jain's arty evening!". The Times Of India. 2010-10-26.
- Dasgupta, Reshmi R (2010-10-24). "Cupcakes & Sunlight: Trishla Jain's artworks - The Economic Times". The Times Of India.
- Auletta. Page 55.
- "TOI Online is world's No.1 newspaper website". The Times Of India. 2009-07-12.
- The Hindu News Update Service
- List of newspapers in the World by circulation
- Top 10 English Dailies: Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2010 — Quarter 1 | Newswatch
- The Times Group Products
- World Press Trends 2008. World Association of Newspapers. 2008. p. 14. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "World's Largest English Daily Publisher Said to Weigh India IPO". Bloomberg. 2011-02-16.
- http://www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../Times-Now-most-watched.../7607495. Missing or empty
- Profile in Forbes magazine
- Info in Business Today
- Times of India controversy
- Infobox Reference
- Samir Jain Profile in India Today
- Brand Capital news
- Auletta, Ken: “Citizens Jain - Why India's Newspaper Industry is Thriving“. The New Yorker, Oct 8 2012, Pages 52 to 61.
- Subramanian, Samanth : "Supreme Being : How Samir Jain created the modern Indian Newspaper Industry", Caravan Magazine, Dec 1, 2012.