March 13, 1952 |
Balti, North 24 Parganas district, West Bengal
|Education||Government College of Art & Craft, Kolkata|
|Known for||watercolour painting|
Early life and education
Born in Balti, a small village in North 24 Parganas district, West Bengal, Mondal graduated in fine arts from the Government College of Art & Craft, Kolkata in 1975. Thereafter he went to Germany for higher studies.
Mondal started his solo career in 1980, and after a brief stay in Bangalore, settled in Bombay (now Mumbai). Here by 1987, he was illustrating political cartoons in water colour for noted magazine Illustrated Weekly of India.
Over the past three decades he has exhibited at solo shows both in India and abroad. Besides this he has also participated in noted group exhibitions like National Art exhibition of Lalit Kala Akademi (Delhi), ‘Freedom of Expression’ and ‘Tribute to Mother Teresa’ by RPG Enterprises, 100 Years of Indian Cinema, People for Animals, ‘Art with a Heart’ at National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai, ‘Celebrations-97’ at Napa Art Gallery, Nepal, ‘Confluence’ at Art Connoisseur Gallery, London and Gallery Asiana, New York in collaboration with Gallery Sumukha, Bangalore.
For the 2007 Hindi film, Taare Zameen Par, he painted two watercolour paintings which characters Ishaan and Nikumbh, played by Darsheel Safary and Aamir Khan respectively, made during film climax. In March 2012, to mark his 60th birthday, he held an exhibition titled "6x10" of his 60 paintings of flowers, at the Jamaat Art Gallery in Colaba, Mumbai.
He married Madhumita in 1980, whom he had met in Kolkata while still in college. After marriage the couple briefly shifted to Bangalore, before settling in Bombay (now Mumbai), they have two children, Somok and Jhinuk. He lives and works in Goregaon West, Mumbai.
- "Showcase: Say it with flowers". The Hindu. March 17, 2012. Retrieved Feb 21, 2013.
..one of India’s finest contemporary artists ..
- "Painting memories". The Telegraph. February 5, 2005. Retrieved Feb 21, 2013.
Samir Mondal is one of the country's most talented and successful watercolour artists..
- "Profile". Official website.
- "Profile: Samir Mondal". The Arts Trust. Retrieved Feb 21, 2013.
- "Sexy at 60: Flowery treat by Samir Mondal". DNA (newspaper). Mar 24, 2012.
- Samir Mondal at the Internet Movie Database
- "Aamir Khan, the art lover". Rediff Movies. February 4, 2008.
- Debarati S Sen (Mar 22, 2012). "Artist Samir Mondal turns 60". Retrieved Feb 21, 2013.