Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov
|Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov|
|Born||21 August 1894
Bezhetsk, Tver Governorate, Russian Empire
|Died||20 August 1971
Leningrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Field||Painting, Graphics, Art teaching|
|Training||Repin Institute of Arts|
Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov (Russian: Алекса́ндр Никола́евич Самохва́лов; August 21, 1894 – August 20, 1971) was a Soviet Russian painter, watercolorist, graphic artist, illustrator, art teacher and Honored Arts Worker of the RSFSR, who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was a member of the Leningrad branch of Union of Artists of Russian Federation, regarded as one of the founders and brightest representatives of the Leningrad school of painting, most famous for his genre and portrait painting.
In 1914 Alexander Samokhvalov entered at the Higher Art School under the Imperial Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg, which is already finished only after World War I and Revolution in the new Russia. He studied of Vasily Beliaev, Gugo Zaleman, Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin, and Vasily Shukhayev.
Since 1914 Alexander Samokhvalov has participated in Art Exhibitions. He painted portraits, genre and historical paintings, worked in monumental and easel painting, black-and-white art, sculpture, decorative and applied art, in Art illustration of fiction and poetry.
Alexander Samokhvalov was a member of 'Krug' (1926–1929) and 'October' (1930–1932) Artists Associations. Since 1932 Alexander Samokhvalov was a member of Leningrad Union of Artists. His leading theme was image of the Youth of Soviet. Samokhvalov was awarded of Gran-Prix and Gold Medals at the International Art Fair in Paris, France, in 1925 and in 1937 years. In 1967 Alexander Samokhvalov was awarded an honorary title of the Honored Art Worker of Russian Federation.
Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov died in Leningrad on August 20, 1971. His paintings and graphics reside in State Russian Museum, State Tretyakov Gallery, in Art museums and private collections in Russia, Italy, France, in the U.S., Japan, Germany, England, and throughout the world.
- Cafe Gurzuf (painting by Alexander Samokhvalov)
- In the Sun (painting by Alexander Samokhvalov)
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School.- Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp. 13, 20, 24, 369, 380-396, 398, 399, 401-406, 439, 442, 443, 444, 446.
- Anniversary Directory graduates of Saint Petersburg State Academic Institute of Painting, Sculpture, and Architecture named after Ilya Repin, Russian Academy of Arts. 1915 - 2005. - Saint Petersburg: Pervotsvet Publishing House, 2007. p.19.
- Irina Barshova, Kira Sazonova. Alexander Samokhvalov. - Leningrad: Khudozhnik RSFSR, 1963.
- Alexander Samokhvalov. My Samarkhand-land. - Saint Petersburg, Iskusstvo Rossii, 1993.
- Matthew C. Bown. Dictionary of 20th Century Russian and Soviet Painters 1900-1980s. - London: Izomar, 1998. ISBN 0-9532061-0-6, ISBN 978-0-9532061-0-0.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School.- Saint Petersburg: NP-Print Edition, 2007. – pp. 3, 20, 24, 369, 380-396, 398, 399, 401-406, 439, 442, 443, 444, 446. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov.|
- Alexander Samokhvalov on the "Unknown Socialist Realism. Quests and Discoveries".
- Sergei V. Ivanov. The Leningrad School of painting. Historical outline.
- Chronology of the Leningrad School of painting.