|Type||Public Company (IDX: HMSP)|
|Founders||Liem Seeng Tee|
|Key people||Paul Norman Janelle, President Director
John Gledhill, President Commissioner
Eunice Carol Hamilton, Vice President Commissioner
|Products||Mild cigarettes, Kreteks|
|Revenue||Rp 22,006.97 billion (Q3 2007)|
|Net income||Rp 3,002.5 billion (Q3 2007)|
|Parent||Philip Morris International|
PT Hanjaya Mandala Sampoerna Tbk. (IDX: HMSP) is an Indonesian tobacco company. Sampoerna is one of the largest Indonesian tobacco company, ahead of Bentoel Group and Nojorono. In May, 2005, Philip Morris International, at that time a subsidiary of the Altria Group, completed the acquisition of 97.95% of the company . A block of approximately 40% of the outstanding stock was sold by the controlling Sampoerna family, especially by Putera Sampoerna, and other insiders in a negotiated transaction and the remaining shares were purchased in a tender offer. The series of transactions valued the company at approximately $5.2 billion. The investment in Sampoerna represented a strategic move for Altria. Philip Morris International was spun off from Altria in 2008. Although Marlboro is the most popular Western-style (non kretek cigarette), most Indonesians still smoke kretek cigarettes.
It produces kretek-type clove cigarettes. Its most popular brand is Sampoerna 'A' Mild, a filter cigarette in white paper. Although the cigarette is described as mild, it contains similar tar and nicotine levels to Marlboro Red. Sampoerna A Mild produced and introduced in 1988. Along with variations on the Sampoerna Brand (filterless (known as Hijau, or green), menthol, etc.), introduced in 1968 the company's other key brand is "234" (pronounced Dji Sam Soe), an unfiltered cigarette with 39 mg of tar and 2.3 mg of nicotine per stick. Dji Sam Soe is the most premium cigarette in Indonesia. Its retail price per pack is the same with Marlboro Red (20 sticks), whilst 234 is packed 12 sticks.
The company was founded in 1913 by Liem Seeng Tee, a Chinese Indonesian who immigrated to Surabaya from the province of Fujian, in China. In the 1930s, he adopted the Indonesian name Sampoerna meaning "perfection" as his family name, thus becoming the company's namesake. Sampoerna produces Dji Sam Soe in 1913, Sampoerna A Hijau in 1968 and Sampoerna A Mild in 1988.
HM Sampoerna's current President Director is Paul Norman Janelle, as of August 1, 2012. Janelle’s previous position was president commissioner. He was the Company's Director from 2009 to 2010 and President Commissioner from March 9, 2011, to August 1, 2012. He joined Philip Morris International Inc. in 1991 and he holds Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Business Administration from University of Ottawa, as well as a Masters of Business Administration from Webster University. John Gledhill was HM Sampoerna's President Director from April 1, 2009 - August 1, 2012.
By the end of May 2014, Sampoerna closed Lumajang and Jember factories from 7 factories before and lays off 4,900 employees and retains 33,500 employees in line with declining of hand made kretek cigarette sales due to consuments move to buy machinery kretek cigarettes.
Sampoerna in the news
Cigarette manufacturer PT Hanjaya Mandala Sampoerna announced on Wednesday, July 18, 2012, that it obtained approval from shareholders to appoint a new president director. Paul Norman Janelle is the new president director, replacing John Gledhill. Prior to the appointment, Janelle’s previous position was president commissioner, a position that will be held by Gledhill after the decision becomes effective on August 1, 2012.
On November 5, 2010, employees and volunteers of Sampoerna set up a smoke-free zone rescue camp in Central Java after the eruption of Mount Merapi. Philip Morris company paid for the camp, which was swarmed with 4-wheel drive vehicles and staffers covered with the company logo. Local residents and evacuees were unsure to whether this was a marketing campaign for the companies. During the week of the volcanic explosion, police and military officers tore down advertisements and banners of political parties that have appeared in the evacuation zone, they were erected without any permits, according to local officials. However, representatives of the companies claim that their efforts were entirely altruistic, adding that their companies are only interested in providing assistance to people affected by the volcano.
- A Mild (since 1988)
- A Mild Menthol (since 1997)
- Avolution (since 2007)
- Avolution Menthol (since 2007)
- U Mild (since 2005)
- U Mild Cool (since 2014)
- Dji Sam Soe (since 1913)
- Dji Sam Soe Filter (since 1990)
- Dji Sam Soe Super Premium (since 2004)
- Dji Sam Soe Magnum Filter (since 2005)
- Dji Sam Soe Gold (since 2009)
- Dji Sam Soe Magnum Blue (since 2014)
- Sampoerna Kretek (since 1968)
- Sampoerna Pas (since 2010)
- Panamas 1 (since 1971)
- Trend Mild (since 2007)
- Vegas Mild (since 2012)
- Marlboro (since 1924)
- Sampoerna U Kretek
- Sampoerna A
- Sampoerna A Slims
- "DJI SAM SOE, Sejarah Cita Rasa Tinggi" (1990-2003) (DJI SAM SOE, History Of High Taste)
- "DJI SAM SOE, Mahakarya Indonesia" (2004-present) (DJI SAM SOE, Indonesian Masterpieces)
- "DJI SAM SOE, 99 Tahun Citarasa Legendaris" (2012) (DJI SAM SOE, 99 Years Of Legendary Taste)
- "DJI SAM SOE, 100 Tahun Kesempurnaan" (2013) (DJI SAM SOE, 100 Years Of Perfection)
- "DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Pesan Direnggangkan" (1990-1998) (DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Message Stretched)
- "DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Banyak Hal Penting Dalam Hidup Ini Kita Tahu Mana Yang Penting" (1998-2000) (DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Many Important Things In This Life We Know Which One Is Important)
- "DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Menembus Batas" (2000-2006) (DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Penetrating The Limits)
- "DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Kesempurnaan Dari Keahlian" (2006-2007) (DJI SAM SOE FILTER, Perfection Of Expertise)
- "DJI SAM SOE SUPER MAGNUM FILTER, The Filter Moment Has Come" (2007-2010)
- "MAGNUM FILTER, Inspirasi Tanpa Batas" (2011-Present) (MAGNUM FILTER, Inspiration Without Limits)
- "MAGNUM BLUE, Taste The Difference" (Magnum Blue)
- "SAMPOERNA HIJAU, Asyiknya Rame-Rame" (2001-2003)
- "SAMPOERNA HIJAU, Yang Asyik Tambah Asyik" (2003-2004)
- "SAMPOERNA HIJAU, Nggak ada Loe Gak Rame" (2004-2010)
- "SAMPOERNA, Teman Yang Asyik" (2011-Present) (SAMPOERNA, Friends Are Fun)
- "PANAMAS, Terus Membara" (PANAMAS, Blazing Continues)
- "PANAMAS, Salut Bung" (PANAMAS, Salute You Man)
- "U MILD, U Are U" (2004-2008)
- "U MILD, Lebih Berasa, Berasa Lebih" (2008-2010) (U MILD, More Taste, Taste More)
- "Ini Baru Cowo U MILD" (2011-Present) (This Is A U MILD Guy)
- "AVOLUTION, Begin What Next" (2008-Present)
- "A MILD, Others Can Only Follow" (2002-2004)
- "A MILD, How Low Can You Go?" (1994-1996)
- "A MILD, Bukan Basa Basi" (1996-2005) (A MILD, No Bullshit)
- "A MILD, Tanya Kenapa?" (2005-2009) (A MILD, Ask Why)
- "A MILD, Go Ahead" (2009-Present)
- "A FLAVA, Click Mint" (A Flava)
- "A INTERNATIONAL, International Skyline Overnight" (1992-present)
- "A KING, The Real King" (A King)
- "A KING, Bermutu Raya Bermutu Anda" (A KING, Quality Kingdom Your Quality)
- "SAMPOERNA MILLENIUM, Cita rasa adalah Sempurna" (SAMPOERNA MILLENIUM, Taste Is Perfect)
- "SAMPOERNA EXCLUSIVE, Berani Coba Rasa Baru?" (SAMPOERNA EXCLUSIVE, Dare To Try New Flavors)
- "SAMPOERNA EXCLUSIVE, Nyalakan Nyali" (SAMPOERNA EXCLUSIVE, Turn On Your Guts)
- "Come To Where The Flavor Is, Come To MARLBORO Country" (Marlboro)
- "MARLBORO, Freedom To Enjoy" (Marlboro)
- "BE>MARLBORO" (Marlboro)
- "Bold Intense MARLBORO BLACK MENTHOL" (Marlboro Black Menthol)
- "Crush It, Unleash It, MARLBORO ICE BLAST" (Marlboro Ice Blast)
- "Discover MARLBORO LIGHTS" (Marlboro Lights)
- "ST.DUPONT PARIS, Be Cool Be Confident With You" (St.Dupont Paris)
- "ST.DUPONT PARIS, Cool Calm Confident" (St.Dupont Paris)
- "Indonesia-Investments.com:HM Sampoerna company profile". March 25, 2014.
- "Altria to Boost Output of Indonesia's High-Tar Clove Cigarettes". Bloomberg. 16 March 2005.
- "Tutup Dua Pabrik, PT HM Sampoerna PHK 4.900 Karyawan". May 16, 2014.
- Harsaputra, Indra (21 March 2005). "Sampoerna's success started from modest beginnings". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 22 January 2010.