Samsung Galaxy Mini 2
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 (GT-S6500)
|Compatible networks||GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 900/2100|
|First released||February 1, 2012|
|Availability by country||March 1, 2012|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Mini|
|Related||Samsung Galaxy Fame Lite (S6790)
Samsung Galaxy Fame (S6810)
|Dimensions||109.4 mm (4.31 in) H
58.6 mm (2.31 in) W
11.6 mm (0.46 in) D
|Weight||105.3 g (3.71 oz)|
|Operating system||Android Gingerbread v2.3.4;
Upgradeable to v2.3.6
|CPU||Snapdragon S1 MSM7227A ARM Cortex-A5 800 Mhz|
|Memory||512 MB RAM (398 MB available for user)|
|Storage||4 GB flash, of which 2.7 GB available to user|
|Removable storage||microSD, up to 32 GB slot|
|Battery||Removable, 1300 mAh Li-Ion|
|Data inputs||Capacitive touchscreen|
|Display||3.27" TFT, 320×480 pixels (~176 ppi pixel density)|
|Rear camera||CMOS 3.0 MP (official spec); 2048×1536 pixels (~3.15 MP in pixel count)|
|Sound||3-pin TRS headphone jack, loudspeaker|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth|
|Other||Accelerometer, proximity sensor, compass, Stereo FM radio with RDS and noise reduction|
|SAR||0.92 W/kg (head); 0.62 W/kg (body)|
|Website||GT-S6500 UK mobile homepage|
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 is a smartphone manufactured by Samsung that runs the open source Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" operating system. It was announced and released by Samsung on February 2012. It is available in three color packages: black, yellow and white.
Galaxy Mini 2 has a slightly faster up to 800 MHz ARMv7 Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7227A processor, VGA video recording (30 fps), A-GPS (geotagging), and a 3.27-inch HVGA TFT LCD screen which has more pixel density (320×480) than its previous generation. The phone includes a plain 3-megapixel camera with no autofocus or LED flash. Official product literature does not specify the exact camera sensor size beyond 3 MP, though the total pixel count does amount to approximately 3.15 Mpix. Inclusion of NFC (Near Field Communication) varies by submodel (see below).
Software upgrade path
There are four different sub-models of Galaxy Mini 2:
- S6500: Original model, possesses NFC functionality;
- S6500D — Model distributed in Europe and Asia, does not include NFC;
- S6500T — Sold in Australia;
- S6500L — Sold in Latin America, does not include NFC.
A little over a year later, Samsung on April 2013 released Samsung Galaxy Fame S6810, and on October 2013 released Samsung Galaxy Fame Lite S6790. Most improvements over Galaxy Mini 2 are incremental: both models are equipped with slightly better CPUs (1 GHz/850 MHz), Bluetooth 4.0, Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, and 3G connectivity gains HSUPA.
Differing features in Galaxy Fame include a 5 Mpix camera with auto-focus and front camera, support for up to 64 Gb microSD cards, and NFC or dual-SIM variants depending on model. This model still supports Mini-SIM cards.
Galaxy Fame Lite mostly differs from of Galaxy Mini 2 with inclusion of NFC, and Micro-SIM support. The camera remains at 3.0 Mpix.
- "Samsung begins Galaxy S III Jelly Bean updates, 15 additional models scheduled". The Verge (The Verge). September 24, 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Report: Galaxy mini 2 won’t get Jelly Bean". SamMobile (not associated with Samsung). June 19, 2013. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "Samsung Galaxy Mini 2". Unofficial Ports. CyanogenMod wiki. 2013-11-08. Retrieved 2013-11-16.
- "CyanogenMod 10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Mini 2". Galaxy Mini II Android Development. XDA Developers forum. 2013-11-03. Retrieved 2013-11-16.