18.104.22.16874_11 (31 July 2014[±]
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X|
Samsung Kies // KEESS is a freeware software application used to communicate between Windows or Macintosh operating systems, and more recently manufactured Samsung mobile phone and tablet computer devices, usually using a USB cable connection (though wireless LAN Kies connectivity is now possible using some devices).
The name "Kies" was originally an acronym. K.I.E.S., or the "Key Intuitive Easy System", was used until KIES version 2.0. After version 2.0, the name was shortened to "Kies", and the use of "K.I.E.S." as an acronym was discontinued but the ADB interface can be used without Samsung Kies or drivers using Wi-Fi as outlined here.
Kies is available in several versions and editions, depending on the specific Samsung device and the OS it is running. Kies3 (version 3.x) supports devices with Android Jelly Bean (4.3 and up). Kies (currently in version 22.214.171.12474_11) supports devices with Android 2.1 through 4.2. Trying to use Kies with newer devices, or Kies3 with older devices, will result in an error message. 
There is also a Kies Mini version, which is available only for specific devices such as Samsung Vibrant, Captivate or Infuse. It is used to update these devices' operating systems (OS versions). Though there are both Windows and Mac(intosh) versions of the full Kies product, there is only a Windows version of Kies Mini for most Samsung devices; therefore, many Mac computer owners who wish to update said Samsung devices' OS versions find themselves having to lease or borrow a Windows computer, or use a virtual machine, onto which they may temporarily install Kies Mini, and to which they may then connect their Samsung device via USB cable to accomplish said OS version update.
Though most Kies connectivity has traditionally been via USB cable, wireless LAN connectivity between a Samsung device on which the Kies Wireless Android app is running, and any Windows or Macintosh computer running the Kies full version, is now also possible. The Kies Wireless app also supports wireless connectivity with other devices via said other devices' web browsers. All such connectivity, though, must be via a local Wi-Fi connection (and not via cellular 2G, 3G, or 4G data networks) wherein all involved devices are on the same Wi-Fi LAN.
The full version of Kies may be downloaded from the Samsung Global Download Center or from the download part of an individual mobile device's technical support web page on the Samsung website. With few exceptions, it is usually only the Kies Mini version, and not the full version, which is typically downloadable from a given Samsung device's individual technical support web pages.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2014)|
This software may be used for:
- Data backup
- Data transfer (between a Windows or Mac PC, and a Samsung mobile device), limited to certain media file formats
- Multimedia (audio, photos, video, etc.) management, but limited to certain file formats; for example, Kies does not recognise .avi files
- Purchase/acquisition of additional or special device features
- Device firmware and operating system (OS version) upgrades
This is a list of some of the currently known supported devices for Samsung Kies software:
- Note: As of 2 September 2012[update], Samsung Android ADB driver version 2.9.503.726 is broken (yielding the blue screen), and once installed fails to recognize Samsung devices (reporting "Manufacturer Hardware ID missing"). This is supplied as part of Kies.
- As of 1 June 2013[update] There have been some reports (between four and 10) that Kies Tab 7 and Windows 8 are incompatible. Some users have noted that after installing Kies on their HP device, Smart Drives quit reporting to BIOS, resulting in dead laptops.
- For Android 2.3.x - 4.2.x - Kies
- For Android 4.3.x - 4.4.x - Kies 3
|OS||CPU||RAM||HDD Space||Screen Resolution||Required Software|
|Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8||Intel Pentium 1.8 GHz processor or higher (recommended)||1.00 GB (minimum), 2 GB recommended||At least 500 MB||1024 × 768 (600), 32 bit or above||.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or later, Windows Media Player 10 or later, ActiveSync (Windows XP), Device Center (Windows Vista), DirectX 9.0C or above|
|Mac OS 10.5~ 10.6 (*Samsung Kies mini)||1.8 GHz Intel or faster processor||512 MB or more||30 MB of available hard disk space||Wave (GT-S8500) Firmware upgrade is available for bada 1.2 or later. Wave II (GT-S8530)|
- Samsung Apps & Kies Tutorial (English) – Official video on YouTube
- "Kies 3.0 Unsupported Device Alert.". Samsung Electronics.
- "Kies Mini Download". Softpedia.
- "Feature Comparison by OS version: What Features Does Samsung Kies Have?". Samsung Electronics.
- "Kies air (Android app)". The Kies air page on the Google Play Store. Samsung Electronics.
- "Sync Your Life with Kies". Samsung Electronics.
- "Manuals & Downloads". Samsung Electronics.