|Stable release||188.8.131.5274_14 / July 30, 2013|
|Operating system||Windows, Mac OS X|
Samsung Kies // KEESS is a freeware software application used to communicate between Windows or Macintosh operating systems, and more recently manufactured Samsung mobile phone and tablet computer devices, usually using a USB cable connection (though wireless LAN Kies connectivity is now possible using some devices).
The name "Kies" was originally an acronym. K.I.E.S., or the "Key Intuitive Easy System" was used until KIES version 2.0. After version 2.0, the name was shortened to "Kies" and the use of "K.I.E.S." as an acronym was discontinued.
Kies comes in two versions: The full version, to which most of this article refers; and the "Kies Mini" version, which is used solely to update certain Samsung mobile devices' operating systems (OS versions). While the full Kies product is capable of updating the OS versions of some Samsung devices, most may have their OS versions updated using only Kies Mini. Though there is both a Windows and Mac(intosh) version of the full Kies product, there is only a Windows version of Kies Mini for most Samsung devices; therefore, many Mac computer owners who wish to update said Samsung devices' OS versions find themselves having to lease or borrow a Windows computer onto which they may temporarily install Kies Mini, and to which they then connect their Samsung device via USB cable to accomplish said OS version update.
Though most Kies connectivity has traditionally been via USB cable, wireless LAN connectivity between a Samsung device on which the Kies Wireless Android app is running, and any Windows or Macintosh computer running the Kies full version, is now also possible. The Kies Wireless app also supports wireless connectivity with other devices via said other devices' web browsers. All such connectivity, though, must be via a local Wi-Fi connection (and not via cellular 2G, 3G or 4G data networks) wherein all involved devices are on the same Wi-Fi LAN.
The full version of Kies may be downloaded from the Samsung Global Download Center, or from the download part of an individual mobile device's technical support web pages on the Samsung website. With few exceptions, it is usually only the Kies Mini version, and not the full version, which is typically downloadable from a given Samsung device's individual technical support web pages.
This software may be used for:
- Data backup
- Data transfer (between the Windows or Mac PC & a Samsung mobile device)
- Multimedia (audio, video, photos, etc.) management
- To purchase/acquire additional or special device features
- Device firmware and operating system (OS version) upgrades
This is a list of some of the currently known supported devices for Samsung Kies software:
- Note: As of 2 September 2012[update], Samsung Android ADB driver version 2.9.503.726 is broken (blue screen), and once installed fails to recognize Samsung devices ('Manufacturer Hardware ID missing'). This is supplied as part of Kies.
- As of 1 June 2013[update] There have been some reports (Under 10 greater than 4) that Kies Tab 7 and Windows 8 are not compatible. Some users have noted that after installing Kies on their HP device, Smart Drives quit reporting to BIOS. This results in dead laptops.
|OS||CPU||RAM||HDD Space||Screen Resolution||Required Software|
|Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7||Intel Pentium 1.8 GHz processor or higher (recommended)||1.00 GB (minimum), 2 GB recommended||At least 500 MB||1024 × 768 (600), 32 bit or above||.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or later, Windows Media Player 10 or later, ActiveSync (Windows XP), Device Center (Windows Vista), DirectX 9.0C or above|
|Mac OS 10.5~ 10.6 (*Samsung Kies mini)||1.8 GHz Intel or faster processor||512 MB or more||30 MB of available hard disk space||Wave (GT-S8500) Firmware upgrade is available for bada 1.2 or later. Wave II (GT-S8530)|
- Samsung Apps & Kies Tutorial (English) - Official video on YouTube
- "Samsung website search results for: "Kies Mini"". Support articles for Kies Mini. Samsung Electronics.
- "Feature Comparison by OS version: What Features Does Samsung Kies Have?". Samsung Electronics.
- "Kies air (Android app)". The Kies air page on the Google Play Store. Samsung Electronics.
- "Sync Your Life with Kies". Samsung Electronics.
- "Manuals & Downloads". Samsung Electronics.