Samsung Galaxy (original)
Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500
|Compatible networks||HSDPA (3.5G) 900/1700/2100, Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900,|
|First released||June 2009|
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy Spica|
|Dimensions||115 x 56 x 11.9 mm|
|Operating system||Android v1.6 (Donut)
Originally Android 1.5
Upgradable to Android 2.3 unofficially
|CPU||ARM11 528 MHz + DSP 256 MHz|
|Memory||128 MB RAM|
|Removable storage||MicroSD support for up to 32GB|
|Battery||Li-Ion (1500 mAh)|
|Display||320 x 480 px, 3.2 in, AMOLED, Touchscreen|
|Rear camera||5 Megapixels with flash|
|Connectivity||USB 2.0, Bluetooth 2.1, Wi-Fi b/g, GPS|
The Samsung Galaxy, known as Samsung GT-I7500 in some countries, is a mobile phone manufactured by Samsung that used the open source Android operating system. It was announced on 27 April 2009. It is succeeded by the Samsung i5700.
The Galaxy is a 3.5G smartphone, offering quad-band GSM and announced with tri-band HSDPA (900/1700/2100) at 7.2Mbit/s (however, Samsung's official pages for the Danish, Finnish, Norwegian and Swedish versions only mention dual-band UMTS 900/2100). The phone features a 3.2-inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, a 5 megapixel autofocus camera with power LED flash, and a digital compass. Unlike the first Android phone, the HTC Dream (the G1), the i7500 has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and a Directional Pad in place of a trackball.
Software-wise, the Galaxy offers a suite of Mobile Google services, including Google Search, Gmail, YouTube, Google Calendar, and Google Talk. The phone's GPS enables Google Maps features such as My Location, and Google Latitude. It also supports MP3, AAC (including iTunes Plus downloads) (only the codec, not the .aac format), and H.264 video. A beta version of the Spotify music streaming service is also now available for this phone via the Android Marketplace.
The Galaxy is available in Austria, Germany, Italy and Asia. It is also available in France via Bouygues Telecom, where it has been labeled "Samsung Galaxy", then since August 2009 in Poland via Play Mobile, Serbia via Telenor Serbia, Croatia via Vipnet and Slovenia via Mobitel (Slovenia). It is also expected to be available from T-Mobile in some other markets, including the US. The phone is available in Turkey since 14 September 2009 via Turkcell. The Galaxy has been confirmed for an August release on O2 in the United Kingdom which is exclusive to O2 for 4 weeks. Despite this, the phone became available to new and existing customers on O2's UK website on Saturday 29 August 2009. On October 2009, it became the first Android phone released in Brazil, via TIM.  The variant Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500L is also available in Canada as Samsung Galaxy on Bell Mobility and on Rogers Wireless. In Spain used to be available on Yoigo. The Galaxy has also been confirmed to be launched in Taiwan, India on Tata Docomo, China and Hong Kong. In Spain used to be available on Yoigo, with Android 1.5, also called Android "Cupcake".
Due to a lack of firmware updates Samsung has received a lot of criticism from Galaxy users. A petition requesting future updates has been initiated. To date over 8000 people have signed it.
For some countries, Samsung has updated the Galaxy's firmware to Donut (1.6). Users from other countries can download and update it manually (which will void the warranty). Drakaz, a developer who has been working on getting Android v1.6, v2.2 and v2.3 to work on the i7500 for some time has made some improvements.
- "GAOSP - unofficial port of Android 2.2 for the I7500". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung launches I7500, the company’s first Android-powered mobile phone". Innovator.samsungmobile.com. Archived from the original on 2012-05-02. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Galaxy - Danish". Samsung.com. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Galaxy - Finnish". Samsung.com. Archived from the original on 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Galaxy - Norwegian". Samsung.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Galaxy - Swedish". Samsung.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Tuesday, April 28, 2009 (2009-04-28). "Samsung launches its first Android phone - the i7500". Pocket Picks. Archived from the original on 2009-08-18. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Galaxy i7500 Preview". Phone Arena. Archived from the original on 2010-01-06. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Lanxon, Nate (2009-04-27). "CNET: Forget swine flu: Samsung i7500 Android phone is official". Crave.cnet.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- handyattacke.de. "Handyattacke online shop - Samsung GALAXY". Handyattacke.de. Archived from the original on 2013-10-09. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung Italy Website". Samsung.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 by Casey Chan (2009-05-19). "Samsung i7500 Renamed Samsung Galaxy, Releasing in France in July". Android Central. Archived from the original on 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung i7500 Google Android phone". Know Your Mobile. 2009-05-12. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Samsung i7500 Passes Through FCC on Way to T-Mobile". Android Guys. 2009-05-16. Archived from the original on 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Akıllı Telefonlar | Tablet PC | 3G Modemler | Aksesuarlar | Turk - TURKCELL Archived September 22, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "O2 News Centre". Mediacentre.o2.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Case,Capa, personalizada para celular | capinha personalizada para celular Archived May 29, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/30/galaxy_android_2/ Archived January 5, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Upgrade firmware of Samsung Galaxy by Drakaz". Drakaz. Archived from the original on 2013-05-14.
Samsung Galaxy S