Samuel Gitler Hammer
Gitler studied civil engineering at the National Autonomous University of Mexico, graduating in 1956. He then did his graduate studies in mathematics at Princeton University with Norman Steenrod, earning a doctorate in 1960. He taught briefly at Brandeis University and then returned to Mexico, where he was one of the founders of the mathematics department of CINVESTAV; he was president of the Mexican Mathematical Society from 1967 to 1969, and chair at CINVESTAV from 1973 to 1981. In the late 1980s he moved to the University of Rochester, where he chaired the mathematics department, and after retiring from Rochester in 2000 he returned to CINVESTAV, where he is now also retired.
- Staff biography, CINVESTAV, retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Member biography, Colegio Nacional, retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Samuel Carlos Gitler at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of researchers, CINVESTAV, retrieved 2012-05-19.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- "Murió el matemático mexicano Samuel Gitler Hammer" (in Spanish). eluniversal.com.mx. September 10, 2014.