Samuel Moyn (born 1972) is a Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He was formerly a professor of history at Columbia University. His research interests are in modern European intellectual history, with special interests in France and Germany, political and legal thought, historical and critical theory, and sometimes Jewish studies.
He is the co director of the New York area Consortium for Intellectual and Cultural History. He is Editor of the journal Humanity, and has editorial positions at several other publications.
He has his A.B. from Washington University in St. Louis (1994), his Ph.D. from UC Berkeley (2000), and a J.D. from Harvard Law School (2001). For high school, he attended University City High School (St. Louis).
In 2007, Moyn received Columbia University's annual Mark Van Doren Award for outstanding undergraduate teaching, determined by undergraduates, and its Distinguished Columbia Faculty Award for "unusual merit across a range of professorial activities". In 2008, he won a Guggenheim Fellowship.
Moyn is the editor of the academic journal Humanity.
- Origins of the Other: Emmanuel Levinas between Revelation and Ethics (2005, Cornell University Press)
- A Holocaust Controversy: The Treblinka Affair in Postwar France (2005, Brandeis University Press)
- Pierre Rosanvallon, Democracy Past and Future (2006, editor Samuel Moyn, Columbia University Press)
- The Last Utopia: Human Rights in History (2010, Harvard University Press)
- Samuel Moyn interview on Counterpoint Radio with Marcus W. Orr Center for the Humanities at the University of Memphis.
- Moyn's Faculty bio at Columbia University
- Moyn's personal website
- Top Young Historians: Samuel Moyn on History News Network
- New York-area Consortium for Intellectual and Cultural History
- Moyn's review essay in The Nation on Lynn Hunt's "Inventing Human Rights"
- Moyn's review essay in The Nation on Gary Bass's "Freedom's Battle: The Origins of Humanitarian Intervention"
- Moyn's review essay on Jonathan Littell's novel The Kindly Ones in The Nation
- Interview with Moyn about Pierre Rosanvallon and French liberalism
- http://www.college.columbia.edu/cct/jul_aug07/quads2.php and http://www.columbia.edu/cu/vpas/about/recognition.html