February 6, 1813|
|Died||June 8, 1883
Samuel Sidney was the pseudonym of Samuel Solomon (6 February 1813–8 June 1883), an English writer who treated the widely varied fields of agriculture and animal husbandry, railways, and emigration to Australia.
Sidney's output on the subject of Australia was probably occasioned by his brother John's experiences there from around 1838 to 1843. The brothers' Australian Hand-Book sold around 7,000 copies. Sidney's 1852 book The Three Colonies of Australia sold 5,000 copies in its first year, and also had German and American editions. These were very good sales for the time. In addition to books, Sidney edited and published Sidney's Emigrants Journal and later the monthly Sidney's Emigrant's Journal and Traveller's Magazine. Sidney's Three Colonies of Australia is praised for impressive documentation and for "finely pointed and graceful" writing.
- Domestic matters
On domestic matters Sidney first wrote about the question of railroad gauges and their consequences to agriculture and the economy. He wrote a series in the Live Stock Journal titled "Horse Chat", which foretold of his growing expertise in the area, culminating in his 1873 Book of the Horse. His edit and rewriting of The Pig, a classic in animal husbandry by W. C. L. Martin was praised.
- Other positions
- Gauge Evidence (1846)
- The Double Gauge Railway System (1847)
- A Voice from the far interior of Australia (1847) (co-authored with his brother, originally under the pseudonym "A Bushman")
- Sidney's Australian Hand-Book (1848) (co-authored with brother)
- The Commercial consequences of a mixed gauge (1848)
- Railways and agriculture in North Lincolnshire (1848)
- Rides on railways (1851)
- The three colonies of Australia (1852)
- Gallops and Gossips in the Bush of Australia (1854)(novel)
- The Book of the Horse (1873)
- Clarke, Ernest (1897). "Sidney, Samuel". In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography 52. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- Tick, Stanley, "Sidney, Samuel (1813–1883)", Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/sidney-samuel-2662/text3599, accessed 6 November 2011.
- Stinson, Rod (2008). Unfeigned Love: Historical Accounts of Caroline Chisholm and Her Work. Yorkcross Pty Ltd. p. 106. ISBN 978-0-9756018-4-6.
- Works by Samuel Sidney at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Samuel Sidney in libraries (WorldCat catalog)