||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Didier doing traditional sketching at BlizzCon 2010
|Born||1971 (age 40)
Sam "Samwise" Didier (born 1971 in Tustin, California) is the Art Director at Blizzard Entertainment. He is responsible for creating much of the artwork for computer games in the Warcraft, StarCraft, and the Diablo series. He is the senior art director on StarCraft II. Amongst the veteran Blizzard employees, Didier has been a consistent artist for many years, his unique style greatly influencing the game art through all of Blizzard's franchises.
Didier was responsible for the Pandaren, a race regarded by fans - and used by Blizzard - as a "joke race" but still with legitimacy within the lore. Among other things, panda icons also appeared accompanying much of Didier's art, and could be seen in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne as the emblem on the Night Elf demon hunter's glaives, his name is written in the Paladin's book, when he casts a spell, and an unused Icon and two Models have the face of Sam's face, visible only in the Map Editor. In Starcraft II there is a multiplayer portrait, containing a "Panda Marine".
Samwise does the art for HammerFall album covers. He has done the following covers:
- 2002 - Hearts on Fire (EP)
- 2002 - Crimson Thunder
- 2003 - One Crimson Night (Live album & DVD)
- 2005 - Blood Bound (EP)
- 2005 - Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken
- 2006 - Natural High (EP)
- 2006 - Threshold
- 2009 - No Sacrifice, No Victory
- 2011 - Send Me A Sign (Single)
He has also done the cover art for Joacim Cans' (Hammerfall singer) solo album, Beyond the Gates (2004).
Samwise has contributed to the following art books:
- 2002 - The Art of Warcraft
- 2005 - The Art of World of Warcraft
- 2006 - The Art of World of WarCraft: The Burning Crusade
- 2007 - World of Warcraft: The Art of the Trading Card Game Vol. 1
- 2008 - The Art of World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
- 2009 - The Cinematic Art of World of Warcraft: The Wrath of the Lich King
- 2010 - The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
- 2012 - The Art of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
- 2013 - The Art of Blizzard Entertainment
- Search results for Sam Didier in California
- "StarCraft 2's Art Design".
- Gibson, Sean (2013-03-18). "Sam “Samwise” Didier Discusses Everything Blizzard". Gaming Illustrated. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|