San Acacio, Colorado
|San Acacio, Colorado|
Entering San Acacio from the east on State Highway 142
|Elevation||7,730 ft (2,356 m)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|ZIP code||81151 (Sanford)|
|GNIS feature ID||204786|
San Acacio is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Costilla County, Colorado, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 40. The U.S. Post Office at Sanford (ZIP Code 81151) serves postal addresses in San Acacio.
San Acacio is located in western Costilla County at San Luis Valley of southern Colorado. Colorado State Highway 142 runs through San Acacio, leading east 8 miles (13 km) to San Luis and west 25 miles (40 km) to U.S. Route 285 at Romeo.(37.222947,-105.665302), in the
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the San Acacio CDP has a total area of 1.26 square miles (3.26 km2), all of it land.
Viejo San Acacio, the original San Acacio, was founded in 1853. The first settlers fought the Indians in the name of San Acacio (Saint Acacius). Viejo San Acacio is located 4 miles (6 km) east of present-day San Acacio, which was laid out 56 years later by the Costilla Estate Development Company in 1909. It was the most promising of the company's towns. Offices of the development company and a ditch and reservoir company were there, as well as a post office, a hotel, and a vegetable warehouse. The San Luis Southern Railroad arrived in 1910 and built a two-story depot there.
The present-day San Acacio CDP encompasses the community laid out in 1909 but not Viejo San Acacio.
Historic buildings and landmarks
- San Acacio Mission Church (Capilla de Viejo San Acacio) – Built early in the 1860s, the Mission of San Acacio is the oldest standing church in Colorado. Constructed with 24-inch adobe walls, the mission underwent extensive restoration during the 1990s. In addition to stabilizing the foundation, several wooden columns were added to the interior to take the weight of the roof off the fragile walls. An altar screen, or retablo, was commissioned from Maria Romero Cash, a New Mexican artist specializing in religious folk art.
- San Acacio Bank
- Old San Acacio Cemetery – In old San Acacio there is a cemetery nicknamed Viejo Cemetery. The cemetery is located in a churchyard in Old San Acacio. The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is from 1907, and the cemetery is currently full.
- New San Acacio Cemetery – The new cemetery is located 3/4 mile south of San Acacio. It is a public cemetery, and the oldest marked grave in the cemetery is from 1906. It is currently in use.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: San Acacio, Colorado
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): San Acacio CDP, Colorado". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 24, 2014.