San Beda College of Law
|Motto||Fides, Scientia, Virtus|
|Established||1948 (College ofLaw)
2004 (College of Law in Alabang)
2004 (Graduate School of Law)
|Location||Mendiola, Manila, Philippines|
|Campus||Mendiola, Manila (Main); Taytay, Rizal; Alabang, Muntinlupa City|
|Colors||Red and White|
|Nickname||San Beda Red Lions|
|Website||San Beda Law webpage|
College of Law
The College of Law was founded in 1948. Over the years, it has produced senators, justices of collegiate courts, trial court judges, active lawyers and law professors. It has also achieved one of the highest bar passing rates and largest number of law graduates among law schools in the country. A famous alumnus, Florenz D. Regalado, is a Retired Justice of the Supreme Court, an established author, and the holder of the highest bar exam grade in the post-war history of the bar exams in the Philippines.
In 2004, San Beda College partnered with the Supreme Court of the Philippines and the Philippine Judicial Academy to establish the Graduate School of Law, an entity that shall offer postgraduate studies on criminal justice and the judicial system in the country.
In the 2007 Bar Examinations, the College of Law got the highest passing percentage among all other law schools at 93.27% for all examinees and 93.18% for first takers.
The San Beda College of Law once again got the highest passing percentage in the 2009 Bar Examination at 94.21%. It also produced two top notchers for the same year; Reinier Paul Yebra and Charlene Mae Tapic placing first and second respectively.
Graduate School of Law
The Graduate School of Law offers three postgraduate degree programs:
- Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice Administration (M.Sc.Justice Ad.)
- Doctor of the Science of Jurisprudence (S.J.D.)
Program delivery combines classroom sessions held once a month and guided research. Extensive use in some subjects is made of on-line chat-sessions and in others, mentoring. Professors are invited from the senior members of the superior courts of the Philippines as well as from leading academics in law, criminology and related disciplines.
The doctoral program is primarily a research program accrediting work done by the candidate in research and publication, as well as in participation in high-level conferences and symposia in law and jurisprudence.
Upon prior arrangement, the Law Dean and the Faculty may craft customized programs to suit the individual needs of foreign law students.
The Master of Laws (LL.M.) and the Doctor of Science in Jurisprudence (S.J.D.) programs do not require membership in the Philippine Bar. However, as a general rule, students should be members of the Philippine Bar. Exceptional cases are allowed provided the candidate exhibits the level of competence demanded of doctoral programs, and is capable of doing research that will contribute significantly to his chosen field.
College of Law in Alabang
- Leila de Lima - Former Chairperson of the Commission on Human Rights, current Secretary of the Philippine Department of Justice
- Augusto S. Sanchez-Former Labor Minister during Corazon Aquino's Administration, Human Rights Lawyer
- Winston Ginez- chairperson, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board
- Francisco Baraan III, Undersecretary, Department of Justice
- Raoul Creencia - Government Corporate Counsel
- Nonnatus Rojas, former Director, National Bureau of Investigation
- Winston F. Garcia - former President and General-Manager, Government Service and Insurance System (GSIS)
- Lilian Hefti - former Commissioner and head of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
- Nicasio A. Conti - former Commissioner, Presidential Commission on Good Governance (PCGG); hailed by the World Bank for his anti-corruption and government transparency efforts; faculty, San Beda Economics department
- Ricardo Abcede - former Commissioner, Presidential Commission on Good Governance
- Jaime Jacob- former chairperson,Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board
- Donald Lee, City Prosecutor, Quezon City
- René Saguisag - former Senator and Human Rights Lawyer
- Raul Roco - former Senator, Education Secretary
- Ramon V. Mitra - former Speaker of the House of Representatives and 1992 presidential Candidate
- Jose Lina- Former Philippine Senator; Laguna Province Governor; MMDA Governor; Co-founder of the Movement of Attorneys for Brotherhood, Integrity, and Nationalism, Inc. (MABINI, President, Manila Hotel
- Joaquin Chipeco, Jr., Representative, 2nd District of Laguna, former mayor of Calamba City
- Fredenil H. Castro - Representative from Capiz
- Marlyn L. Primicias-Agabas-Representative, 6th district of Pangasinan, former Vice-Governor, Pangasinan
- Alipio C. Badelles - Representative, 1st district of Lanao del Norte
- Elpidio F. Barzaga - Representative, 4th district of Cavite
- Leovigildo B. Banaag - Representative, 1st district of Agusan del Norte
- Roger G. Mercado - Representative, lone district of Southern Leyte
- Eduardo Nonato Joson - Nueva Ecija representative and former National Food Authority Administrator
- Roy Seneres, Sr.- OFW partylist Representative, former ambassador to UAE, former NLRC chairman
- Jose Cabochan - former Representative from Bulacan
- Joseph A. Santiago- three term Representative of Catanduanes; former National Telecommunications Commission Commissioner
- Jose Catral Mendoza - Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Bienvenido L. Reyes - Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Florenz D. Regalado - former Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court, obtained the highest rating in the post-war history of the Philippine Bar Examinations
- Justo P. Torres, Jr. - former Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Antonio Martinez - former Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Romeo Callejo, Sr. - former Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Sabino B. Padilla Sr. - former Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court
- Antonio Eduardo Nachura - Associate Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court, former Representative Samar,former Solicitor-General
- Ruben C. Ayson - Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Eugenio Labitoria - Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Eloy Bello, Jr. - former Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Noel Tijam- Associate Justice, Philippine Court of Appeals
- Jose C. Reyes, Jr. - Associate Justice, Philippine Court of Appeals
- Eduardo B. Peralta, Jr. - Associate Justice, Philippine Court of Appeals
- Fernanda Lampas-Peralta- Associate Justice Philippine Court of Appeals
- Francisco Acosta - Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Mario López - Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Ramón Paul Hernando- Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Samuel H. Gaerlan- Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Maria Elisa Sempio Diy - Associate Justice of the Philippine Court of Appeals
- Oscar Badelles, Associate Justice, Court of Appeals
- Pedro Corales- Associate Justice, Philippine Court of Appeals
- Pablito Perez-Associate Justice, Philippine Court of Appeals
- Amparo C. Tang- Presiding Justice, Sandiganbayan
- Gregory S. Ong - Associate Justice of the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan
- Rodolfo Ponferrada, Sr. - Associate Justice of the anti-graft court Sandiganbayan
- Bernardo Fernandez, former Justice, Sandiganbayan
- Antonio Eugenio, Jr. - former President, Philippine Judges Association, Deputy Court Administrator, Supreme Court
- Ralph Lee, President,Philippine Judges Association
- Eduardo Joson - former Governor of Nueva Ecija
- Aurelio Umali - Governor, Nueva Ecija
- Oscar Moreno - Mayor, Cagayan de Oro City; former Governor, Misamis Oriental and former Congressman, 1st District of Misamis Oriental
- Rodrigo Duterte - Mayor, Davao City and former Congressman, Davao City
- Ishmael Mathay - former Vice-Governor of Metro Manila; Former Mayor of Quezon City
- Virgilio B. Jara -  - incumbent Dean of San Beda College of Law, 5th placer in the 1962 Philippine Bar Examinations
- Ulpiano Sarmiento III - Dean of the Alabang campus, Member of the House of Representatives
- Jose Sundiang- former dean, San Beda College of Law, Arellano Law Foundation
PRIVATE LAW PRACTICE
- Avelino Cruz - co-founder of Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz (ACCRA) Law Offices; former Presidential Legal Counsel; former *Secretary of National Defense
- Dennis B. Funa - former Government Official, Constitutionalist, Law Book Author
- William "Billy" Claver - Martial Law-era freedom fighter; indigenous people's rights activist and lawyer
- Julian Emilio Cabarrus ( Dip.Law, Solicitors Admission Board N.S.W., AFAIM )- first Philippine-born lawyer admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the High Court of Australia
- Remigio Saladero, Jr. - labor and workers' lawyer
- Ramon Medina - Vice-President for Human Resources, Ayala Corporation; former chairman, Board of Trustees, San Beda College Alabang
- Solomon Hermosura - Managing Director, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, Compliance Officer, Group Head - Legal and Compliance of Ayala Corporation
Unrecognized fraternities, sororities and academic organizations
- Alliance for Alternative Action
- Alpha Phi Beta Fraternity
- Lambda Rho Beta Fraternity
- Lambda Rho Sigma Sorority
- League of Lady Barristers
- Lex Leonum Fraternitas
- Lex Talionis Fraternitas,Inc.
- Sororitas Reginae Juris
- Quorum Sorority
- San Beda College of Law
- San Beda Graduate School of Law
- Online Community of Law Students and Lawyers in the Philippines
- San Beda Alumni Beda7882 Alumni Website
- Directory of Higher Education Institutions, Commission on Higher Education, 2006-2007.
- Official Catalogue, San Beda College of Law, 2006.
- Justice Jose Hontiveros obtained a grade of 98% in 1911. See "Profiles of Chief Justices and Associate Justices," p. 146.
- Regalado attained 96.7% rating during the 1954 Philippine Bar Examinations. Records are available at the Supreme Court Official Website.
- Official Catalogue, San Beda Graduate School of Law, 2006.
- Official Website, San Beda Graduate School of Law. Last accessed May 23, 2007.
- Interview with Faculty and Staff, San Beda Graduate School of Law. May 2007.
- Official Website, San Beda College of Law. Last accessed May 23, 2007.
- During the 1962 Philippine Bar Exams, Virgilio B. Jara of San Beda placed 5th, Haydee Yorac of the University of the Philippines placed 8th, and Joaquin G. Bernas of Ateneo Law School placed 9th. Many years later, Jara became San Beda Law Dean, Bernas became Ateneo Law Dean, and Yorac was appointed Chairwoman of the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG).