San Francisco Model Yacht Club
TheSan Francisco Model Yacht Club (SFMYC) is dedicated to the hobby, arts and sport of building and racing working model boats of all descriptions. A California-incorporated 501(c)(7) non-profit, social/recreational corporation, it is anchored by the Spreckels Lake Model Yacht Facility in Golden Gate Park which includes the lake itself and the SFMYC's WPA-era Clubhouse. The club draws its membership which varies annually between 120 to 160 from throughout northern and central-coastal California as well as nationally and overseas.
The San Francisco Model Yacht Club is a historically significant club as it was at the request of this group that Spreckels Lake was created, by the San Francisco Parks Commission between 1902 and 1904 as a lake dedicated specifically for model boat sailing and competition. The Parks Commission built the club's first clubhouse in 1909 near the Polo Fields and assisted when the current clubhouse was built closer to Spreckels Lake for the SFMYC by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during the late 30's.
The San Francisco Model Yacht Club has always been part of the history of the lake and model yacht facility and it can be said that neither could exist without the other.
Founded in 1898, the club coalesced from a group of affiliated model boating enthusiasts, including a number of socially-prominent and wealthy San Franciscans, many who already been sailing model boats for years. Originally home-ported at Golden Gate Park's Stow Lake, it is now the oldest, continuously operating model boating organization in the western hemisphere. Other model boat clubs were formed prior to the SFMYC, such as the seminal Prospect Park Model Yacht Club in Brooklyn, New York, founded in 1872, but none survived continuously to the present.
- Spreckels Lake Model Yacht Facility, Golden Gate Park
- Primary operating waters for all Squadrons including the Clubhouse.
- San Pablo Dam
- Back-up operating area for members of the R/C Sail Squadron who live in the east bay.
- American Model Yacht Association (AMYA)
- Member club
- North American Model Boat Association (NAMBA)
- Charter member - Withdrew: mid-80's
- The Spreckels Lake "Irregulars"
- A loosely self-affiliated group of friends, mainly radio-controlled model power boat hobbyists, who regularly run their boats and craft on Spreckels Lake but who, for a variety of reasons, will not join the SFMYC. Some have won numerous awards in club competitions when they are open to non-members.
- [<http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85066387/1902-08-30/ed-1/seq-4/ "Yachtsmen Plan Long Cruises On Coming Holidays"]. The San Francisco Call. (San Francisco [Calif.]). 30 Aug 1902. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "The History of American Yachting" by Capt R.F.Coffin, OUTING, Vol. VIII, No. 6, page 609, September 1886
- San Francisco Recreation & Parks Department
- Golden Gate Park
- The San Francisco Model Yacht Club
- The American Model Yacht Association
- The North American Model Boat Association
- The "On Spreckels Lake" Thread on RCGroups.Com (A modeling community thread regarding Spreckels Lake.)