San Geronimo, California
|— census-designated place —|
|Marin County and the state of California|
|• County Board||District 2
|• Senate||Mark Leno (D)|
|• Assembly||Marc Levine (D)|
|• U. S. Congress||Jared Huffman (D)|
|• Total||1.508 sq mi (3.905 km2)|
|• Land||1.508 sq mi (3.905 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||292 ft (89 m)|
|• Density||300/sq mi ( 110/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0232399|
San Geronimo (formerly, Nicasio) is a census-designated place (CDP) located in the San Geronimo Valley in Marin County, California in the United States. San Geronimo is located 8 miles (13 km) southwest of downtown Novato, at an elevation of 292 feet (89 m). The population was 446 at the 2010 census.
San Geronimo is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that San Geronimo had a population of 446. The population density was 295.8 people per square mile (114.2/km²). The racial makeup of San Geronimo was 421 (94.4%) White, 3 (0.7%) African American, 2 (0.4%) Native American, 3 (0.7%) Asian, 3 (0.7%) from other races, and 14 (3.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 21 persons (4.7%).
The Census reported that 100% of the population lived in households.
There were 199 households, out of which 49 (24.6%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 108 (54.3%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 19 (9.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 7 (3.5%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 13 (6.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 2 (1.0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 43 households (21.6%) were made up of individuals and 9 (4.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24. There were 134 families (67.3% of all households); the average family size was 2.60.
The population was spread out with 72 people (16.1%) under the age of 18, 20 people (4.5%) aged 18 to 24, 89 people (20.0%) aged 25 to 44, 189 people (42.4%) aged 45 to 64, and 76 people (17.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50.0 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
There were 208 housing units at an average density of 137.9 per square mile (53.3/km²), of which 73.4% were owner-occupied and 26.6% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0%; the rental vacancy rate was 0%. 76.5% of the population lived in owner-occupied housing units and 23.5% lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 436 people, 174 households, and 120 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 287.4 people per square mile (110.8/km²). There were 176 housing units at an average density of 116.0 per square mile (44.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP in 2010 was 90.6% non-Hispanic White, 0.7% non-Hispanic African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 2.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.7% of the population.
There were 174 households out of which 28.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.1% were married couples living together, 14.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.0% were non-families. 18.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.70.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 17.9% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 26.8% from 25 to 44, 39.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 92.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $58,542, and the median income for a family was $60,875. Males had a median income of $70,536 versus $32,292 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $31,960. About 9.9% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.4% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: San Geronimo, California
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 695. ISBN 9781884995149.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.