San Joaquin College of Law
|San Joaquin College of Law|
|Motto||Lex Justitia (Law Justice)|
|Dean||Janice L. Pearson|
|Location||Clovis, CA, US|
|Faculty||10 full-time; 41 adjunct|
|Bar pass rate||63% (20/32) (July 2011 1st time takers)|
|Website||San Joaquin College of Law|
San Joaquin College of Law (SJCL) is a private, non-profit law school in Clovis, California, US. It was founded in Fresno in 1969 by Fresno County Municipal Court Judge Dan Eymann, U.S. District Court Judge Oliver Wanger, and attorney John Loomis. The school began instruction in 1970.
In 1996, SJCL relocated to the original Clovis High School building, following a multi-million dollar renovation. The structure was built in 1920, but had deteriorated to the point where a coyote was living in the basement. The renovation, including a new courtroom, lecture hall, and enlarged library, allowed the Law School to expand, while still maintaining the historic character of the building. There remains no comparable institution for 120 miles (190 km) in any direction in the central San Joaquin Valley.[nb 1]
More than 25% of the total practicing lawyers in the Fresno area are SJCL graduates, including 48% of women and 35% of minority lawyers.
San Joaquin College of Law is not accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA), but is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). SJCL is approved by the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California.
San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review
The San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review (SJALR), published by SJCL students since 1991, circulates nationwide.[nb 2] It is the oldest and one of only three law reviews in the United States focusing on agriculture law.
New American Legal Clinic
The New American Legal Clinic (NALC) is a non-profit immigration law clinic that operates out of San Joaquin College of Law. There is both a classroom and practical component to the clinical course which is offered every fall, spring and summer session. There is a director and legal director as well as clinical staff that instruct and assist the students in completing and filing cases with the Department of Homeland Security/USCIS as well as the immigration courts. Cases are handled by students and supervised by professors. The NALC Clinic is also recognized as a source of information for media, practitioners, immigrants’ rights groups and collaboratives and agricultural and other industry employers in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California.
Family Law Mediation Clinic
Students and faculty of San Joaquin College of Law provide alternative dispute resolution services in a free family law mediation clinic. They meet with husband and wife in the mediation setting to help them negotiate a legal agreement while avoiding the time and expense of going to court. In their role as mediators, they do not represent either party, nor do they represent the parties jointly.
- Anthony P. Capozzi (1974–1978) Criminal law
- Superior Court Judge Hilary Chittick
- Superior Court Judge Jonathan B. Conklin
- Superior Court Judge Kimberly Nystrom-Geist
- U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Joseph O'Neill (1986–1992)
- U.S. District Court Judge Oliver Wanger (1970–1991)
- State officials
- United States Bankruptcy Court Judge
- United States Magistrate Judge
- Gary S. Austin, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- California Superior Court Judges
- James Aaron (retired), Fresno County
- Brian Alvarez, Fresno County
- Mark Bacciarini, Merced County
- Eric Helgesen (retired), Riverside County
- Efren N. Iglesia, Monterey County
- Michael J. Jurkovich, Madera County
- Rosemary T. McGuire, Fresno County
- Kimberly Nystrom-Geist, Fresno County
- Don Penner, Fresno County
- James Petrucelli, Fresno County
- R. I. "Chip" Putnam (retired), Fresno County
- Angus Saint-Evens (retired), Glenn County
- Houry Sanderson, Fresno County
- Alan Simpson, Fresno County
- Donna Tarter, Kings County
- Charles Wieland, Madera County
- Federal and State Administrative Law Judges
- The next nearest CBE law school in the California Central Valley is the Humphreys College Laurence Drivon School of Law, located in Stockton, California. See: Law Schools in California Accredited by the Committee of Bar Examiners (CBE)
- SJALR articles have been cited by the California Supreme Court (Gerawan Farming, Inc. v. Lyons (2000), 24 Cal.4th 468 (101 Cal.Rptr.2d 470; 12 P.3d 720), citing "Comment, The Effect of Glickman v. Wileman Brothers & Elliott, Inc. on Nongeneric Commodities: A Narrow Focus on a Broad Rule", 9 San Joaquin Agr. L.Rev. 95 (1999)); the California Courts of Appeal (County of Humboldt v. McKee (2008), 165 Cal.App.4th 1476, citing Will, "The Land Conservation Act at the 32 Year Mark: Enforcement, Reform, and Innovation", 9 San Joaquin Agr. L.Rev. 1, 8 (1999)); the US District Court for the Eastern District of California (Horne v. USDA, No. CV-F-08-1549 LJO SMS, 2009 WL 4895362 (2009)); the New Mexico Court of Appeals (Jicarilla Apache Nation v. Rio Arriba County Assessor (2004), 135 N.M. 630, 92 P.3d 642), citing Robert Luedeman & Darla Mondou, "Meet the New Meat: Legal Aspects of Ratite Bird Production", 8 San Joaquin Agr. L.Rev. 1 (1998)); the US District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee (Overton Distributors Inc. v. Heritage Bank, 179 F.Supp.2d 818 (2002)); and the Minnesota Supreme Court (Anderson v. State Department of Natural Resources (Minn. 2005), 693 N.W.2d 181 Footnote 3, citing Theodore A. Feitshans, "An Analysis of State Pesticide Drift Laws", 9 San Joaquin Agr. L.Rev. 37, 70-78 (1999)).
- "General Statistics Report: July 2011 California Bar Examination". California State Bar. December 28, 2011.
- Judge Oliver Wanger's interview on 940 AM KYNO 9/07/2010
- SJCL Founder John Loomis' interview on KMJ 580 1/22/2011
- Historical Sites in Fresno County-Fresno County Public Library
- Brown, Todd R., "Central Valley’s Only Law School Turns 40," The Business Journal, August 9, 2010 Accessed March 28, 2011
- youtube film of renovation of old Clovis High building prior to SJCL move
- McCarthy, Nancy (April 2006). "Bar pass rates under scrutiny: Unaccredited law schools targeted in Sacramento", California Bar Journal Accessed March 24, 2011
- "ABA-Approved Law Schools by Year". ABA website. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- WASC Statement of Accreditation Status
- Law Schools in California Accredited by the Committee of Bar Examiners (CBE) 8/30/2013
- San Joaquin Agricultural Law Review
- SJALR Managing Editor Ashley Allred is interviewed by Bill McEwen on 940 KYNO on June 29, 2010
- Fresno Bee June 14, 1991 “First Ever Agricultural Law Review Hits the Streets Today in its Debut”
- National Ag Law Center, References
- Washington and Lee University School of Law Law Library - Law Journals: Submissions and Ranking 
- SJALR Editor-in-Chief Karen Ray and Production Editor Lisa Cutts are interviewed on 940 KYNO on 2/23/10
- SJCL Family Law Mediation Clinic
- SJCL Mediation Clinic Manager interviewed by Fresno Bee columnist Bill McEwen on 940 KYNO on 3/16/2010
- SJCL Catalogue
- Capitol Weekly: Brown names Diana Dooley to Head Health and Human Services
- Ninth Circuit Court 2001 Annual Edition
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District, Bio of the Honorable Gary Austin
- LA Times, March 1987: Judge Draws on Experience, Publishes Book of Cartoons
- Superior Court Fresno County: Judicial Assignments
- Office of the Governor: Gov. Schwarzenegger Appoints Mark Bacciarini to Merced County Superior Court
- Judicial Council Assignments for Riverside Superior Court
- Cal Bar: Eric Helgesen
- Office of the Governor: Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Two to Monterey County Superior Court
- Monterey County Herald via Monterey County Republican Party 9/5/2007: "BURLISON, IGLESIA NAMED JUDGES"
- Office of the Governor: Gov. Brown Appoints Michael Jurkovich to Madera County Superior Court
- Office of the Governor: Gov. Schwarzenegger Appoints Rosemary McGuire to Fresno County Superior Court
- Office of the Governor: Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Kimberly Nystrom-Geist to Fresno County Superior Court
- Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Kimberly Nystrom-Geist to Fresno County Superior Court
- Office of the Governor: Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Don Penner to Fresno County Superior Court
- Fresno Bee article 11/12/2009 "Egan is Among Law School's Top Alumni"
- Superior Court/Fresno County: Judicial Assignments
- Martindale: Judge Profile: James Michael Petrucelli
- KFSN Channel 30 12/15/2006: "Fresno Judge, R.L. "Chip" Putnam Retiring"
- Glen County Superior Court Announces Replacement for Retiring Angus Saint-Evans
- Martindale Profile: The Honorable Angus Saint-Evans
- Office of the Governor: Governor Schwarzenegger Appoints Two to Fresno County Superior Court
- Fresno County Superior Court Annual Report 2006: Appointment of Houry Sanderson to the Bench
- Fresno County Superior Court: Judicial Assignments
- Clovis Independent 11/15/2010 "Board Room: The Honorable Nancy Cisneros, The Honorable Alan Simpson and Phil Cline, Tulare County District Attorney, are new members of the San Joaquin College of Law Alumni Hall of Fame"
- Office of Governor: Gov. Schwarzenegger Appoints Donna Tarter to Kings County Superior Court
- Madera County Superior Court Judiciary
- Martindale Judge Profile: Charles A. Weiland
- California Department of Social Services: "List of the judges in the State Hearings Division"
- Cal Bar: Catherine Vilma Benko
- California State Personnel Board: "Meet the ALJs"
- Fresno City Council Agenda item, 7/16/2009: James Donabed's request for release as an Independent Hearing Officer with the city due to his appointment as an ALJ
- Justia.com Dockets and filings: (SS) Muller v. Commissioner of Social Security (showing Madsen as ALJ)
- Cal Bar: Sharon Lynn Madsen
- Coalition of California Welfare Rights Organizations, Inc. Weekly: July 2003 Page 3
- Cal Bar: Elizabeth Jane Parker
- Lexis Nexic CA Workers' Comp
- Cal Bar: Geoffrey Hamilton Sims
- Cal Bar: Nancy Ida Smith
- Inter Alia December/2010, page 13
- Moreno Valley ODAR Judges
- Cal Bar: Duane David Young