San Jose Sports & Entertainment Enterprises
|Genre||Sports and Entertainment|
|Headquarters||San Jose, California, United States|
|Products||San Jose Sharks
|Divisions||Sharks Sports and Entertainment|
San Jose Sports & Entertainment Enterprises (SJSEE) is a private company based in San Jose, California which owns the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League, the Worcester Sharks of the American Hockey League, and manages the SAP Center arena. The company was formed in 2002 after George Gund III put these assets up for sale; Gund requested then-Sharks president and CEO Greg Jamison to find a group of local investors to buy the team and keep them in San Jose.
Four owners have a stake in the organization.
- Hasso Plattner
- Gordon Russell
- Rudy Staedler
- Gary Valenzuela
From the organization's purchase of the team until October 2011, Greg Jamison served as the Sharks' governor at meetings of the National Hockey League's Board of Governors. In October 2011, Kevin Compton took over the role when Jamison became involved with a group looking to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes. In January 2013 Plattner purchased the shares of Kevin Compton and Stratton Sclavos and took over as governor. In the following months, Plattner bought out shares owned by former San Jose mayor Tom McEnery, E. Floyd Kvamme and Harvey Armstrong.
Other former investors include former San Francisco 49ers player Brent Jones, venture capitalist Boots Del Biaggio, and former Brocade Communications Systems CEO Greg Reyes. George Gund III maintained a minority stake in the team until his death in 2013.
SJSE owns the San Jose Sharks franchise as well as their minor league affiliate, the Worcester Sharks. A wholly owned subsidiary, Sharks Sports and Entertainment manages the operations, marketing, and ticket sales for the Sharks and events held at SAP Center at San Jose. SJSE is also a minority shareholder in the San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer.
- "Sharks President and CEO Greg Jamison Stepping Away from Day-to-Day Operations of Franchise" (Press release). San Jose Sharks. 2010-09-01. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "2012-13 San Jose Sharks Postseason Guide". San Jose Sharks. 2013-04-28. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Pollak, David (2011-10-06). "Havlat officially out of opener, Niemi skating in early practice, new governor — and predictions". Working The Corners. San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- "Sharks majority owner buys out investors to take bigger role with team". Canadian Press. 2013-01-30. Retrieved 2014-09-17.
- Pollak, David (2013-06-14). "Does John Tortora’s past NHL connection give him an edge over his predecessors? He says it doesn’t". Working The Corners. San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2013-06-15.
- San Jose Sharks Media Relations Department and SVS&E Publishing (2007). 2007-08 San Jose Sharks Media Guide. San Jose: SVS&E Publishing. p. 8.
- "Group put down $10 million deposit, signed letter of intent to buy Preds". ESPN. 2007-08-02. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Bailey, Brandon (2010-06-24). "Brocade ex-CEO Gregory Reyes guilty on 9 of 10 counts in 2nd backdating trial". San Jose Mercury News (Media News Group). Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- San Jose Sharks Media Relations Department and SVS&E Publishing (2010). 2010-11 San Jose Sharks Media Guide. San Jose: SVS&E Publishing. p. 13.