San Jose mayoral election, 2014
|Elections in California|
The election is nonpartisan per California state law, although most of the candidates chose to state a political party affiliation. A primary election was held on June 3, 2014. As no candidate received a majority of the vote, a runoff election will be held between the top two vote-getters, Dave Cortese and Sam Liccardo, on November 4, 2014.
- Michael Alvarado
- Bill Chew, perennial candidate
- Dave Cortese, Santa Clara County Supervisor, former San Jose City Councilman and candidate for Mayor in 2006
- Timothy Harrison
- Rose Herrera, San Jose City Councilwoman
- Sam Liccardo, San Jose City Councilman
- Madison Nguyen, San Jose City Councilwoman and Vice Mayor of San Jose
- Pierluigi Oliverio, San Jose City Councilman
- Mark Pham
- Tyrone Wade
- Pete Constant, San Jose City Councilman
- Andrew Abe Diaz, perennial candidate
- Louis Garza
- Susan Marsland (running for San Jose City Council)
- Larry Rouse
- David Wall, candidate for Santa Clara County Supervisor in 2013 and for San Jose City Council in 1998
- David Warner, candidate for San Jose City Council in 2004
- Pat Waite, businessman and candidate for San Jose City Council in 2008
- Forrest Williams, former San Jose City Councilman and candidate for Santa Clara County Supervisor in 2010
Cortese is backed by public safety and labor unions unhappy with Mayor Reed's cuts to police pay and benefits. By contrast, Herrera, Liccardo, Nguyen and Oliverio are "Reed loyalists". Similar battles are being played out in elections to the San Jose City Council, where a slate of union-endorsed candidates hopes to defeat Reed-supporting candidates.
|SurveyUSA||May 15–21, 2014||461||± 4.7%||3%||3%||26%||1%||7%||20%||11%||8%||—||22%|
|Mayoral primary results, June 3, 2014|
|Nonpartisan||Pierluigi C. Oliverio||13,197||10.14|
|SurveyUSA||October 20–23, 2014||540||± 4.3%||44%||38%||19%|
|San Jose State University||October 12–16, 2014||571||± 4.1%||34%||26%||40%|
|Mayoral election results, November 4, 2014|
- "Cortese, Liccardo in runoff for San Jose mayor". KTVU. June 4, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "San Jose mayor and council races deadline passes: see who's in". San Jose Mercury News. March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "San Jose mayor's race: only Republican candidate drops out". San Jose Mercury News. January 14, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "Constant Joins Nguyen in 2014 Mayor’s Race; Liccardo Also Expected to File". San Jose Inside. August 9, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "Internal Affairs: Dave Cortese says Forrest Williams won't run for mayor". San Jose Inside. February 8, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "San Jose mayoral election: Wild, jampacked race begins". San Jose Inside. December 4, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "Balance of power at San Jose City Hall at stake in Tuesday's election". San Jose Mercury News. October 31, 2014. Retrieved November 4, 2014.
- "Santa Clara - Election Results". Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters. June 30, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters - Election Results, Mayor, City of San Jose". November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- Rosenberg, Mike (November 14, 2014). "No recount set in close San Jose mayor's race after speculation". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved November 26, 2014.