San Leandro High School
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2011)|
|San Leandro High School|
|2200 Bancroft Avenue
San Leandro, California
|School district||San Leandro Unified School District|
|Grades||9 - 12|
San Leandro High School is a four-year public high school in San Leandro, California, USA. The school is a member of the San Leandro Unified School District. In 2007, the School District bought land for a new building to house the freshman class to relieve overcrowding at SLHS. This move has met with some opposition due to the separation of the freshman class from the rest of the school.
San Leandro High School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Students are allowed to take courses either as College Preparatory, Honor or Advanced Placement.
Advanced Placement Courses are offered in English literature, calculus AB, calculus BC, statistics, chemistry, biology, physics B, world history, U.S. history, American government, French language, Spanish language & literature, studio art, computer science
San Leandro High has art programs including those deemed Advanced Placement,[clarification needed] with classes ranging from sculpture to creative writing. The music program has been to state competitions and the drama department puts on theatre and musical productions each fall and spring.
Since 2011, there has been a new music building with an amphitheater and a sound system.
Awards and recognition
In 2014, the San Leandro High School student population was measured at 39.7% Hispanic, 25.3% Asian, 15.2% Black, 16.7% White, 0.5% American Indian, 1.5% Pacific Islander and 1.9% Multi-Racial.
Clubs and organizations
San Leandro High School has many clubs and organizations including:
- African American Student Union: a social club for African-American students.
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID): a program to help students to get into 4-year universities. San Leandro High has also gained the title as a National AVID Demonstration School.
- Distributive Education Clubs of America: a national organization for developing business and economics skills.
- Jefferson Service Club:The San Leandro Jefferson Service Club is a group of student activists, who have come together as a grass-roots organization to make a long lasting impact in the community.
San Leandro also has three academies in partnership with the California Partnership Academies program. These academies are:
- Business Academy: an academy that explains to students how to excel in the business world and teaches them how to market and sell products.
- San Leandro Academy of Multimedia: an academy that is designed for students to learn about the creative arts, like photography, videography, and animation.
- Social Justice Academy: an academy established in 2007 that teaches students how to give back to society, through community service projects.
- Chris Cannizzaro, former MLB catcher (New York Mets, San Diego Padres).
- Jared Cunningham, NBA guard (Sacramento Kings).
- Tamara De Treaux, actress who played the title character in motion scenes in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
- Dennis Dixon, NFL quarterback (Pittsburgh Steelers). In his senior season in high school of 2002, Dixon threw for 2,426 yards and 30 touchdowns and led the Pirates to a 12-1 season.
- Curtis Goodwin, former MLB outfielder (Cincinnati Reds, Baltimore Orioles).
- Arthur Larsen, tennis player, ranked number one in the U.S. in 1950 and number 3 in 1955. 
- Charles Leno, Jr., NFL offensive lineman (Chicago Bears).
- Russell Means, leader of the American Indian Movement.
- Julian Nash, former MLS forward (San Jose Earthquakes, Houston Dynamo).
- Jarrad Page, former NFL safety (Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, Minnesota Vikings) and minor league baseball outfielder (Los Angeles Dodgers).
- Marviel Underwood, former NFL safety (Oakland Raiders, Green Bay Packers.
- Icehouse Wilson, former baseball player (Detroit Tigers) and college football player (St. Mary's College)
- "About SLUSD". San Leandro Unified School District. Retrieved November 5, 2007.
- California Department of Education - Dataquest
- Noceda, Kristofer. "San Leandro district buys site for campus". Oakland Tribune. Retrieved November 20, 2007.
- accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Distinguished School Awards: Award Winners for Alameda County, California Department of Education. Accessed November 20, 2007.
- "San Leandro High School". School Matters.
- "Jared Cunningham Profile". osubeavers.com. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- "Dennis Dixon". Scout.com. Retrieved November 4, 2007..
- Curtis Goodwin, The Baseball Cube. Accessed January 26, 2008.
- Art Larsen obituary, Accessed February 15, 2013.
- Stark, Jessica. "Colonialism perfected on the American Indian: Activist Russell Means to offer insight, experience", Rice University press release dated November 14, 2007. Accessed November 20, 2007. "Shortly after the outbreak of World War II, his family moved to California, where he graduated from San Leandro High in 1958 and continued his formal education at Oakland City College and Arizona State."
- Julian Nash, San Jose Earthquakes. Accessed November 20, 2007.
- Jarrad Page, Kansas City Chiefs. Accessed November 20, 2007.
- Marviel Underwood, Green Bay Packers. Accessed November 20, 2007.