San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (July 2010)|
|San Lorenzo, Puerto Rico|
|Nickname(s): "The Town of the Samaritans", "Land of Leyends"|
|Anthem: "Son tus campos de bellísimo verdor"|
|• Mayor||Hon. Joe Román (PPD)|
|• Senatorial dist.||7 - Humacao|
|• Representative dist.||33|
|• Total||53.3 sq mi (138.07 km2)|
|• Land||53.3 sq mi (138 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.07 km2)|
|• Density||770/sq mi (300/km2)|
|Time zone||AST (UTC-4)|
San Lorenzo (Spanish pronunciation: [san loˈɾenθo], Saint Lawrence) is a municipality of Puerto Rico located in the eastern central region, north of Patillas and Yabucoa; south of Gurabo; east of Caguas and Cayey; and west of Juncos and Las Piedras. San Lorenzo is spread over ten wards and San Lorenzo Pueblo (The downtown area and the administrative center of the city). It is part of the San Juan-Caguas-Guaynabo Metropolitan Statistical Area.
History: San Lorenzo was founded in 1737 by Valenciano de Oneca.
- Cayey Mountain Range
- Río Cayaguás
- Río Emajagua
- Río Grande de Loíza
- Río de Las Vegas
San Lorenzo has 10 wards or barrios:
- Cerro Gordo
- Quebrada Arenas
- Quebrada Honda
Landmarks and places of interest:
- Priscilla Flores Theater
Image:Priscila Torres Theather,San Lorenzo.JPG|thumb|right|200px|Priscilla Flores Theater.
- Santuario de la Virgen del Carmen en la Santa Montaña(Holy Mountain)
- Gallera San Carlos-(Tuesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday & Sunday;Tel.(787)734-7126
- Río Grande de Loíza
- Iglesia Nuestra Señora De Las Mercedes(Church)(National Historic Site; built in 1737 and renovated in 1993.
- Agriculture is run on a large farm belonging to the Olmeda-Reyes family, by Abraham Reyes,Jose Olmeda-Reyes and Nancy Ortiz.
- Clothing, Pharmaceuticals, Footwear, Electromechanical equipment, Industrial and Household paints
Events and Festivals:
- Three Kings Caroling-January
- Cavalcade Moncho Roldán-January
- Candelaria Celebrations-February
- Kite Festival-March
- Cross Celebrations-May
- Patron Celebrations-September
- Embroidering and Weave Festival-September
- Passion Fruit Festival-November
- AA Class Amateur Baseball Club "Los Samaritanos"-National Champions(1975,1997,1999,2000,2001,2002) osAA.
- Agustin Reyes Half Marathon
Like all municipalities in Puerto Rico, San Lorenzo is administered by a mayor. The current mayor is José Román Abreu(Joe), from the Popular Democratic Party (PPD). Román was elected at the 2000 general election.
The flag of San Lorenzo is divided in four rectangles of equal size, two rectangles are yellow and the other two are striped with red and yellow stripes.
Coat of arms The grill is the traditional symbol of San Lorenzo, deacon and martyr, patron of the town, because in a grill he underwent the martyrdom, slowly burned to death. The hill or mountain represent the Gregorio Hill, which dominates the San Lorenzo panorama. The cross is one of the heraldic attributes of San Miguel Arcángel.
Notable natives and residents
- Chayanne-Singer and actor
- José Tous Soto-Former Speaker House of Representatives
- Antonio Fernós-Isern-Former resident Commissioner
- José Aponte Hernández-Former Speaker House of Representatives
- Carmita Jiménez-Singer
- Priscila Flores-Singer
- Mikael Reyes-Baseball Player
- El Invader #1-professional wrestler
- Elecciones Generales 2012: Escrutinio General on CEEPUR