San Marino in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014
|Eurovision Song Contest 2014|
|Selection process||Internal Selection|
|Selection date(s)||Artist: 19 June 2013
Song: 14 March 2014
|Selected entrant||Valentina Monetta|
|Selected song||"Maybe (Forse)"|
|San Marino in the Eurovision Song Contest|
San Marino will participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2014 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Their entry will be selected through an internal selection, organised by the Sammarinese broadcaster SMtv San Marino. Valentina Monetta will represent San Marino with the song "Maybe (Forse)".
On 19 June 2013, SMtv San Marino announced that it had contracted Valentina Monetta to represent San Marino for a third consecutive year. Valentina Monetta previously represented San Marino at the 2012 Contest with the song "The Social Network Song" and at the 2013 Contest with the song "Crisalide (Vola)", failing to qualify from the semi-finals on both occasions. Monetta was invited to participate for the third time by the Director General of SMtv San Marino, Carlo Romeo, who was disappointed by the nation's failure to qualify to the final in the Eurovision Song Contest 2013.
The Sammarinese entry, "Maybe (Forse)", was presented during a special presentation program on 14 March 2014. Monetta opted to perform the English version of the song at the Eurovision Song Contest 2014. However, an Italian version titled "Forse" was also recorded. Both versions of the song were composed by Ralph Siegel with lyrics by Mauro Balestri. Siegal and Balestri began composing several songs in July 2013 for which Monetta recorded demos in Forte dei Marmi and at Siegel's studio in Munich. The remaining songs that were under consideration were released as part of Monetta's studio album Sensibilità (Sensibility).
During the semi-final allocation draw on 20 January 2014 at the Copenhagen City Hall, San Marino was drawn to compete in the second half of the first semi-final on 6 May 2014. In the first semi-final, the producers of the show decided that San Marino would perform 12th, following Moldova and preceding Portugal. San Marino will have to place in the top ten of the first semi-final in order to qualify to compete in the final on 10 May 2014.
- Storvik-Green, Simon (24 June 2013). "Valentina Monetta to represent San Marino in 2014". European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- Nowacki, Callum (29 January 2014). "San Marino: Song Revealed on March 14th". Eurovoix. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Juhász, Ervin (13 February 2014). "San Marino: Snippets of Valentina’s entry online". escxtra.com. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- Roxburgh, Gordon (14 February 2014). "It's Maybe for Valentina Monetta". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Escudero, Victor M. (20 January 2014). "Allocation Draw results: Who's in which Semi-Final?". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Siim, Jarmo (24 March 2014). "Running order for Eurovision Semi-Finals decided". Eurovision.tv. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "San Marino, confermati Lia Fiorio e Gigi Restivo al commento dell’ESC: è record" (in Italian). Eurofestival News. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2014.