San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte
Robinsons Ilocos Norte
Map of Ilocos Norte showing the location of San Nicolas
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Melanie Grace Pizaña Valdez|
|• Total||40.18 km2 (15.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||2nd class; partial urban|
San Nicolas Bayan ng San Nicolas is a second class municipality in the province of Ilocos Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 34,237 people. San Nicoleños are famous for their traditionally-designed pots (called "bangas") and their warm hospitality towards visitors. It has the fastest economic and commercial growth among Ilocos Norte municipalities.
- Brgy. 1 San Francisco (Pob.)
- Brgy. 2 San Baltazar (Pob.)
- Brgy. 3 San Ildefonso (Pob.)
- Brgy. 4 San Bartolome (Pob.)
- Brgy. 5 San Silvestre (Pob.)
- Brgy. 6 San Juan Bautista (Pob.)
- Brgy. 7 San Miguel (Pob.)
- Brgy. 8 San Rufino (Pob.)
- Brgy. 9 San Lucas (Pob.)
- Brgy. 10 San Paulo (Pob.)
- Brgy. 11 San Fernando (Pob.)
- Brgy. 12 San Cayetano (Pob.)
- Brgy. 13 San Eugenio (Pob.)
- Brgy. 14 San Gregorio (Pob.)
- Brgy. 15 San Jose (Pob.)
- Brgy. 16 San Marcos (Payas)
- Brgy. 17 Santa Asuncion (Samac)
- Brgy. 18 San Pedro (Bingao)
- Brgy. 19 San Lorenzo
- Brgy. 20 San Pablo
- Brgy. 21 San Agustin (Bugnay)
- Brgy. 22 San Guillermo (Catuguing)
- Brgy. 23 Santa Cecilia (Barabar)
- Brgy. 24 Santa Monica (Nagrebcan)
The present name of San Nicolas was given in the year 1733, after Saint Nicholas de Tolentino who was believed to have protected the people against floods, earthquakes, fires, typhoons and other calamities. It is significant that in Ilocos Norte, only San Nicolas was named after a Saint.
Like any other town in the ancient province of Ilocos, San Nicolas was established by Augustinian missionaries. Vigan, the first Spanish mission center in this region, was founded in 1575. In the year 1572, when the Spaniards first explored the Laoag (Padsan) River, they met hostile resistance from the natives of San Nicolas and Laoag. In another expedition dispatched from Vigan in 1584 San Nicolas was established and Laoag followed a year later.
San Nicolas Catholic Church built in 1701 is one of the oldest buildings in this province. Its original structure is one of the must see places of the town. The Church and the attached Sta. Rosa Academy Building, the well preserved Municipal Hall and the old Town Plaza sprawled between them constitute the heart of the town center. These buildings and structures are originally built and continue to be festooned with earthen bricks, which is among the products of the surviving local earthenware industry.
It is also located right at the center of the developing metropolis radiating from Laoag City. The town is a potential contributor to the social, economic and cultural development of Ilocos Norte in support to the Provincial Government’s program of reviving and enriching the Ilocano cultural heritage under the leadership of Governor Ferdinand Marcos, Jr.
|Population census of San Nicolas|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
San Nicolas National High School (SNNHS) is the most popular high school destination for teens living in the urban-part of the town. It has two campuses: Main and Bingao campuses.
San Nicolas has 11 public elementary schools composed of:
- San Nicolas Elementary School - Brgy. 3
- Eladio V. Barangan Memorial Elementary School - Brgy. 14
- Cayetano Bumanglag Memorial Elementary School - Brgy. 16 (formerly Payas Elementary School)
- Catuguing Elementary School - Brgy. 22
- Asuncion Elementary School - Brgy. 17
- Bugnay Elementary School - Brgy. 21
- Bingao Elementary School - Brgy. 18
- Filipinas East Elementary School - Brgy. 6(formerly Filipinas Elementary School-Main Campus)
- Filipnas West Elementary School - Brgy. 7 (formerly Filipinas Elementary School-Annex Campus)
- Pasion Barangan Memorial Elementary School - Brgy. 24
- Barabar Elementary School - Brgy. 23
The town has one private, Catholic school, the Sta. Rosa Academy, named after St. Rose of Lima, the patron saint of one of its founders. It is one of the oldest schools in the Diocese of Laoag. It was established in 1936 by the late Msgr. Fidel Albano, together with the late Miss Rosa Valdes, Mrs. Teresa Llopis Zabala and Miss Castora Bonoan.
Attraction & Business
- Valdez Center: The biggest project of Venvi Group of Companies. Robinsons Mall, 365 Plaza, Freddo, Balai Condominium, and McDonalds San Nicolas is situated here. More infrastructure is seen to rise in this place.
- Robinsons Ilocos Norte: The first full-operating mall in the province, was built in San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte. Opening last December 3, 2009, it makes a good income to the town and the province. Last December 18, 2012 the mall expansion was announced.
- Northwestern University Ecotourism Park and Botanical Gardens: A member of the Botanic Garden Conservation International (BGCI), which caters to the conservation of important indigenous plant species of the province which are now on the verge of extinction.
- St. Nicholas de Tolentino Parish Church
- San Nicolas Town Plaza
- San Nicolas Landmark (Banga)
- SM Savemore (Under Construction)
- The Black Nazarene Hospital
- Gertes Hospital
- Mamaclay Clinic
- Municipal Health Center
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Province: ILOCOS NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte Profile" (JSP).
- "Province of Ilocos Norte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Brgy. 22 Catuguing Website
- Local Governance Performance Management System