San Remigio, Antique

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
San Remigio
Municipality
Map of Antique with San Remigio highlighted
Map of Antique with San Remigio highlighted
San Remigio is located in Philippines
San Remigio
San Remigio
Location within the Philippines
Coordinates: 10°53′N 122°07′E / 10.883°N 122.117°E / 10.883; 122.117Coordinates: 10°53′N 122°07′E / 10.883°N 122.117°E / 10.883; 122.117
Country Philippines
Region Western Visayas (Region VI)
Province Antique
District Lone district
Founded July 1, 1864
Barangays 45
Government[1]
 • Mayor Glenn V. Cabigunda
Area[2]
 • Total 406.98 km2 (157.14 sq mi)
Population (2010)[3]
 • Total 30,446
 • Density 75/km2 (190/sq mi)
Time zone PST (UTC+8)
Zip Code 5714
Dialing code 36

San Remigio is a third class municipality in the province of Antique, Philippines. It is about 21 kilometres (13 mi) northeast from the provincial capital, San Jose de Buenavista.

According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 30,446 people.[3]

Geography[edit]

San Remigio has a land area of 40,698 hectares (100,570 acres),[2] almost 70% of which are mountainous and the remaining 30% comprise the flat lowland and rolling hills.

Agriculture occupies 47.815 km² of land. Of this, 44.37 km² is for food crops, 1.035 km² is for permanent crops, and 2.41 km² for commercial crops.

Barangays[edit]

San Remigio is politically subdivided into 45 barangays.[2]

  • Agricula
  • Alegria
  • Aningalan
  • Atabay
  • Bagumbayan
  • Baladjay
  • Banbanan
  • Barangbang
  • Bawang
  • Bugo
  • Bulan-bulan
  • Cabiawan
  • Cabunga-an
  • Cadolonan
  • Poblacion (Calag-itan)
  • Carawisan I
  • Carawisan II
  • Carmelo I
  • Carmelo II
  • General Fullon
  • General Luna
  • Orquia (Igcatumbal)
  • Iguirindon
  • Insubuan
  • La Union
  • Lapak
  • Lumpatan
  • Magdalena
  • Maragubdub
  • Nagbangi I (Amatong)
  • Nagbangi II
  • Nasuli
  • Osorio I
  • Osorio II
  • Panpanan I
  • Panpanan II
  • Ramon Magsaysay
  • Rizal
  • San Rafael
  • Sinundolan
  • Sumaray
  • Trinidad
  • Tubudan
  • Vilvar
  • Walker

Demographics[edit]

Population census of San Remigio
Year Pop.   ±% p.a.  
1990 21,682 —    
1995 22,869 +1.07%
2000 26,079 +2.66%
2007 28,401 +1.23%
2010 30,446 +2.34%
Source: National Statistics Office[3]

Economy[edit]

Commerce in the municipality has improved with the completion of the Tipuluan Bridge. Commercial establishments are expected to rise in San Remigio after the realization of the San Remigio-Leon Road.

The municipality of San Remigio produced a total of 13,074.02 metric tons of palay in an area of 41.87 km² of which only 22.00% are irrigated and the rest are rain fed and upland area.

San Remigio has a road network of 187.452 kilometres (116.477 mi). Based on administrative classification, 42.696 kilometres (26.530 mi) are municipal roads and 136.124 kilometres (84.584 mi) are barangay roads. There are eleven bridges in the municipality with a total length of 321.391 kilometres (199.703 mi). All of the bridges are bailey and found along the national road.

One major contributor to the economic activity of the town is the remittances of the overseas contract workers. Although there is no figure as to how much goes into local economy it is very visible that the town does not have enough local business establishments and the thriving transport industry would prove true the assumption that most of the money from remittances of the OCW are spent elsewhere.

Natural attractions[edit]

San Remigio is host to natural attractions like the Igbaclag Cave, Bato Cueva, Kanyugan Cave, Magpungay Cave, Pula Falls, Timbaban Falls and Batuan Falls, the lakes of Maylumboy and Danao, the stone of Datu Sumakwel, Bato Bintana and White Castle Stone, and the mountain ranges of San Remigio.[4] The rivers are rich with gem stones and the biggest flower Rafflesia can be seen in the upland barangays of Tubudan and La union.

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 5 February 2013. 
  2. ^ a b c "Province: Antique". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 5 February 2013. 
  3. ^ a b c "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 5 February 2013. 
  4. ^ "San Remigio". Official Antique Website. 2012. Retrieved 11 February 2013. 

External links[edit]