21 August 1987 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actress, model, dancer|
Sana Khan (born 21 August 1987) is an Indian actress, model and dancer. Khan began her career in modelling and went on to appear in advertisements and feature films. She has appeared in south Indian films, TV commercials, dance performances in films in special appearance, and for a reality television show. She has acted in 14 films across 5 languages and has appeared in over 50 ad films.
Sana Khan was born on 21 August 1987 in Mumbai. She was raised in Mumbai. Her father is originally from Kannur, Kerala; and her mother, Saeeda, is from Mumbai Khan completed her high school (12th grade) from Mumbai and did not pursue any further studies as she became involved in modelling at an early age.
Khan started doing modelling assignments after completing her high school. She made her acting debut in the low-budget adult Hindi film Yehi Hai High Society, which was released in March 2005. She subsequently started appearing in television commercials and other ad films.
Khan's debut Tamil film Silambattam was produced by Lakshmi Movie Makers, and was released in December 2008. Silambarasan, the film's lead actor, who had vainly tried to sign her for a role in his film Kettavan, called her again for the female lead role in Silambattam after seeing her ad with Shahrukh Khan. She said in an interview with The Hindu, "Silambarasan came to Mumbai looking for a fresh face for his film Silambattam. There he saw me and selected me. I knew I had to work hard to make it big in the Tamil film industry". Khan regards the film as her first break. She received praise for her portrayal of a talkative, tomboyish brahmin village girl named Janu in the film, and won the 2009 ITFA Best New Actress Award in Singapore.
In March 2010, her next Tamil film, Thambikku Indha Ooru was released. Later that year, Khan ventured into the Telugu film industry, appearing in Nandamuri Kalyan Ram's Kalyanram Kathi, which was released in November 2010. Khan's next release was the February 2011 bilingual thriller Gaganam / Payanam – shot in Telugu and Tamil, respectively – which was based on an aircraft high-jack theme.
In May 2011, Khan stepped into Kannada films with Golden Movies' Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga. In September 2011, her next Tamil film, Aayiram Vilakku, was released, in which Khan played the role of a Madurai girl. In the March 2012 Telugu film Mr. Nookayya Khan played the role of a waitress in a pub, adding glamour to the film. Khan will be making her Malayalam film debut with Climax that is loosely based on the Hindi film The Dirty Picture and will be playing the role of late South Indian actress Silk Smitha. Khan has also signed up her sixth Tamil film, Thalaivan with Bas, which is being produced by Blue Ocean Pictures.
Dance performances in films and music videos
Khan is known for her dance performances in films in a special appearance – popularly known as item numbers in Bollywood parlance. She gave her first such performance on a song in the Tamil film E, which was released in October 2006. In July 2007, she appeared in a music video in the Hindi film Bombay to Goa. Khan acted in Abbas Ali Mirza's music video for his album Sitam – Peak of Passion. The video was shot in July 2007 in Gemini Studios by Colossus. Her next dance role was for the November 2007 Hindi movie, Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal, in which her performance on the song Billo Rani soared her popularity. Apart from films, Khan also did a dance performance on TV for Zee TV's drama program, Meri Doli Tere Angana in one episode.
Khan has acted in over 50 ad films, including a cosmetic commercial directed by Shirish Kunder in July 2007. She has also done a commercial for the deodorant brand, Secret Temptation and for Yatra.com. She has done an advertisement for Xbox 360 video game console.
In March 2007, Khan's TV commercial for the men's underwear brand, Amul Macho, showed her provocatively scrubbing and washing some underwear, simulating an orgasm. It created a strong controversy and was banned by the Indian government on the grounds of sexual profanity. Khan responded in an interview, "Forget about the ban and people taking out morchas (protests) against me and burning my posters in Bombay (Mumbai). At the end of it people from the creative field have loved it." The company re-hired Khan, shot a sequel to that commercial with a different theme, and released it in February 2008.
In October 2012, Khan participated in the Indian celebrity reality TV show Bigg Boss Season 6 as a contestant. Before entering the show, she said in an interview, "I am going to flaunt my age and the fact that I am the youngest. I am going into the house without any preparation. I want to be spontaneous and show the world the real me." She gained a lot of popularity from the audience and managed to stay in the show till the end, though she stood third in the show. She told PTI, "I am happy to have reached top three. I did not expect this."
|2005||Yehi Hai High Society||Sonia||Hindi|
|2007||Bombay to Goa||Special appearance||Hindi|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Special appearance||Hindi|
|2010||Thambikku Indha Ooru||Divya||Tamil|
|2011||Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga||Kajol||Kannada|
|2013||Oru Nadigayin Diary||Pongkodi/Sumitha||Tamil|
|2014||Jai Ho||Home Minister Daughter||Hindi|
- As contestant
Evicted Day 97
- "Actress Sana Khan dies in car crash, husband critically injured - DAWN.COM". Dawn. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Sana Khan Profile". Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Kumar, S. R. Ashok (18 February 2010). "My First Break – Sana Khan". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (9 November 2008). "Simbu's new girl". Times of India. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- "Exclusive Chit Chat with Sana Khan (Kathi heroine)". myfirstshow.com – first in Telugu movie news. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Yehi Hai High Society". Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Silambattam gets ready for release". TNN. 16 December 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss > Contestants > Sana Khan". Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan on aayiram vilakku Part 2". behindwoodstv (on Youtube). Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Kalyanram Kathi – Movie Review". One Indian Entertainment/ Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. 12 November 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Tamil " Movies " Aayiram Vilakku". One India Entertainment/Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (10 March 2012). "Mr. Nookayya: A thriller that meanders". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan as 'Silk' Smitha in Malayalam". The New Indian Express. Express Features. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "First Look: Sana Khan as Silk Smitha in Climax". Rediff.com. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Nayar, Parvathy S (16 February 2013). "Sana Khan moves from the Bigg Boss house to a new house!". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "Thalaivan". The Times of India. TNN. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss contestant Sana Khan feels blessed to act with Salman Khan". The Indian Express. PTI. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Salman Khan to go 'Mental' with Sana Khan, Daisy and Tabu". Dubai Media Incorporated. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "E Release Date". Sulekha.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bombay To Goa". Bollywood Hungama/Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Padukone, Chaitanya (16 July 2007). "Sanaa fulfills her 'fantasy'". DNA. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Aryan, Tony (11 July 2007). "On location of Sitam – Peak of Passion". radiosargam.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal preview". ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Agrawal, Vandita. "Sana Khan, the Underwear Girl!". Indiatimes/Times Internet Limited. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Kumar, Anuj (6 July 2007). "Snapshots: New find". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "'Bigg Boss 6': Who is Sana Khan? Hint – 'Ye toh bada toing hai!'". IBNLive/IBN South. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Mukhopadhyay, Sougata (20 February 2008). "Company launches banned innerwear ad's sequel". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Thomas, Amy Rose (8 October 2012). "I will flaunt my age: Sana Khan". Postnoon. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan wants to work in Bollywood". The Times of India. PTI. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "I'll never be friends with Vishal: Sana". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "BIGG BOSS 6 grand finale: Urvashi Dholakia is the winner". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sana Khan.|