August 21, 1987 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Actress, Model, Dancer|
Sana Khan (born August 21, 1987) is an Indian actress, model and dancer. Khan began her career in modeling and went on to appear in advertisements and feature films. She has appeared in south Indian films, TV commercials, dance performances in films in special appearance, and for a reality television show. She has acted in 14 films across 5 languages and has appeared in over 50 ad films.
Sana Khan was born on August 21, 1987 in Mumbai. She was raised in Mumbai. Her father is originally from Kannur, Kerala; and her mother, Saeeda, is from Mumbai Khan completed her high school (12th grade) from Mumbai and did not pursue any further studies as she became involved in modeling at an early age.
Career – Films
Khan started doing modeling assignments after completing her high school. She made her acting debut in the low-budget adult Hindi film Yehi Hai High Society, which was released in March 2005. She subsequently started appearing in television commercials and other ad films.
Khan's debut Tamil film Silambattam was produced by Lakshmi Movie Makers, and was released in December 2008. Silambarasan, the film's lead actor, who had vainly tried to sign her for a role in his film Kettavan, called her again for the female lead role in Silambattam after seeing her ad with Shahrukh Khan. She said in an interview with The Hindu, "Silambarasan came to Mumbai looking for a fresh face for his film Silambattam. There he saw me and selected me. I knew I had to work hard to make it big in the Tamil film industry". Khan regards the film as her first break. She received praise for her portrayal of a talkative, tomboyish brahmin village girl named Janu in the film, and won the 2009 ITFA Best New Actress Award in Singapore.
In March 2010, her next Tamil film, Thambikku Indha Ooru was released. Later that year, Khan ventured into the Telugu film industry, appearing in Nandamuri Kalyan Ram's Kalyanram Kathi, which was released in November 2010. Khan's next release was the February 2011 bilingual thriller Gaganam / Payanam – shot in Telugu and Tamil, respectively – which was based on an airplane high-jack theme.
In May 2011, Khan stepped into Kannada films with Golden Movies' Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga. In September 2011, her next Tamil film, Aayiram Vilakku, was released, in which Khan played the role of a Madurai girl. In the March 2012 Telugu film Mr. Nookayya Khan played the role of a waitress in a pub, adding glamour to the film. Khan will be making her Malayalam film debut with Climax that is loosely based on the Hindi film The Dirty Picture and will be playing the role of late South Indian actress Silk Smitha. Khan has also signed up her sixth Tamil film, Thalaivan with Bas, which is being produced by Blue Ocean Pictures.
She got a major breakthrough in Bollywood with Sohail Khan Productions film, Jai Ho, where she plays a lead female role, With the shooting of the film having started in March 2013 in Dubai,
Dance performances in films and music videos
Khan is known for her dance performances in films in a special appearance – popularly known as item numbers in Bollywood parlance. She gave her first such performance on a song in the Tamil film E, which was released in October 2006. In July 2007, she appeared in a music video in the Hindi film Bombay to Goa. Khan acted in Abbas Ali Mirza's music video for his album Sitam – Peak of Passion. The video was shot in July 2007 in Gemini Studios by Colossus. Her next dance role was for the November 2007 Hindi movie, Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal, in which her performance on the song Billo Rani soared her popularity. Apart from films, Khan also did a dance performance on TV for Zee TV's drama program, Meri Doli Tere Angana in one episode.
Khan has acted in over 50 ad films, including a cosmetic commercial directed by Shirish Kunder in July 2007. She has also done a commercial for the deodorant brand, Secret Temptation and for Yatra.com. She has done an advertisement for Xbox 360 video game console.
In March 2007, Khan 's TV commercial for the men's underwear brand, Amul Macho, showed her provocatively scrubbing and washing an underwear, simulating an orgasm. It created a strong controversy and was banned by the Indian government on the grounds of sexual profanity. Khan responded in an interview, "Forget about the ban and people taking out morchas (protests) against me and burning my posters in Bombay (Mumbai). At the end of it people from the creative field have loved it." The company re-hired Khan, shot a sequel to that commercial with a different theme, and released it in February 2008.
In October 2012, Khan participated in the Indian celebrity reality TV show Bigg Boss Season 6 as a contestant. Before entering the show, she said in an interview, “I am going to flaunt my age and the fact that I am the youngest. I am going into the house without any preparation. I want to be spontaneous and show the world the real me.” She gained a lot of popularity from the audience and managed to stay in the show till the end, though she stood third in the show. She told PTI, "I am happy to have reached top three. I did not expect this."
|2005||Yehi Hai High Society||Sonia||Hindi|
|2006||E||Special appearance||Tamil||Performed in a music video|
|2007||Bombay to Goa||Special appearance||Hindi||Performed in a music video|
|2007||Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal||Special appearance||Hindi||Performed in the music video Billo Rani|
|2008||Silambattam||Jaanu||Tamil||Winner, ITFA Best New Actress Award|
|2010||Thambikku Indha Ooru||Divya||Tamil|
|2011||Kool...Sakkath Hot Maga||Kajol||Kannada|
|2013||Oru Nadigayin Diary||Pongkodi/Sumitha||Tamil|
|2013||Climax (2013 film)||Poonkodi/Supriya||Malayalam|
|2014||Jai Ho||Hindi||Post Production|
- As contestant
Evicted Day 97
- "Bigg Boss > Contestants > Sana Khan". Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Kumar, S. R. Ashok (February 18, 2010). "My First Break — Sana Khan". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (2008-11-09). "Simbu’s new girl". Times of India. Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- "Exclusive Chit Chat with Sana Khan (Kathi heroine)". myfirstshow.com – first in Telugu movie news. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Yehi Hai High Society". Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Silambattam gets ready for release". TNN. Dec 16, 2008. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan on aayiram vilakku Part 2". behindwoodstv (on Youtube). Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Kalyanram Kathi – Movie Review". One Indian Entertainment/ Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. November 12, 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Tamil » Movies » Aayiram Vilakku". One India Entertainment/Greynium Information Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (March 10, 2012). "Mr. Nookayya: A thriller that meanders". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan as 'Silk' Smitha in Malayalam". The New Indian Express. Express Features. 16 June 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- "First Look: Sana Khan as Silk Smitha in Climax". Rediff.com. August 16, 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Nayar, Parvathy S (Feb 16, 2013). "Sana Khan moves from the Bigg Boss house to a new house!". The Times of India. TNN. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "Thalaivan". The Times of India. TNN. Aug 13, 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bigg Boss contestant Sana Khan feels blessed to act with Salman Khan". The Indian Express. PTI. Mar 17 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "Salman Khan to go 'Mental' with Sana Khan, Daisy and Tabu". Dubai Media Incorporated. March 18, 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "E Release Date". Sulekha.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Bombay To Goa". Bollywood Hungama/Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Padukone, Chaitanya (Jul 16, 2007). "Sanaa fulfills her ‘fantasy’". DNA. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Aryan, Tony (July 11, 2007). "On location of Sitam – Peak of Passion". radiosargam.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal preview". ApunKaChoice.com. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Agrawal, Vandita. "Sana Khan, the Underwear Girl!". Indiatimes/Times Internet Limited. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Kumar, Anuj (Jul 06, 2007). "Snapshots: New find". The Hindu. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "'Bigg Boss 6': Who is Sana Khan? Hint – 'Ye toh bada toing hai!'". IBNLive/IBN South. Oct 08, 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Mukhopadhyay, Sougata (Feb 20, 2008). "Company launches banned innerwear ad's sequel". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Thomas, Amy Rose (October 8, 2012). "I will flaunt my age: Sana Khan". Postnoon. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Sana Khan wants to work in Bollywood". The Times of India. PTI. 13 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "I'll never be friends with Vishal: Sana". Viacom 18 Media Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "BIGG BOSS 6 grand finale: Urvashi Dholakia is the winner". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sana Khan.|