Sancho III of Castile
|King of Castile and Toledo|
|Reign||21 August 1157 – 31 August 1158|
|Consort||Blanche of Navarre|
|Issue||Alfonso VIII of Castile
|House||House of Ivrea|
|Father||Alfonso VII of León and Castile|
|Mother||Berenguela of Barcelona|
|Died||31 August 1158 (aged 23–24)
|Burial||Cathedral of Toledo|
Sancho III (1134 – 31 August 1158) was King of Castile and Toledo for one year, from 1157 to 1158. During the Reconquista, in which he took an active part, he founded the Order of Calatrava. He was called el Deseado (the Desired) due to his position as the first child of his parents, born after eight years of childless marriage.
He was the eldest son of King Alfonso VII of León and Castile and Berengaria of Barcelona. During his father's reign, he appears as "king of Nájera" as early as 1149. His father's will partitioned the kingdom between his two sons: Sancho inherited the kingdoms of Castile and Toledo, and Ferdinand inherited León. The two brothers had just signed a treaty when Sancho suddenly died in the summer of 1158, being buried at Toledo.
- Alfonso VIII of Castile, his successor
- infante García, who died at birth in 1156, apparently also resulting in the death of Queen Blanche.
There may also have been an older son who died in infancy.
|Ancestors of Sancho III of Castile|
- Kenneth John Conant, 311.
- M. M. Busk, 31.
- Peter Linehan, 8.
- Joseph F. O'Callaghan, 235.
- M. M. Busk, The history of Spain and Portugal from B.C. 1000 to A.D. 1814, Baldwin and Cradock, 1833.
- Kenneth John Conant, Carolingian and Romanesque Architecture, 800 to 1200, Yale University Press, 1959.
- Peter Linehan, Spain:A Partible Inheritance 1157-1300, Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2011.
- Joseph F. O'Callaghan, A History of Medieval Spain, Cornell University Press, 1975.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sancho III of Castile.|
- Szabolcs de Vajay, "From Alfonso VIII to Alfonso X" in Studies in Genealogy and Family History in Tribute to Charles Evans on the Occasion of his Eightieth Birthday, 1989, pp. 366–417.
Sancho III of CastileBorn: circa 1134 Died: 31 August 1158
|King of Castile and Toledo