Sandara Park in the 6th Asia Song Festival 2009
|Birth name||Park Sandara|
|Also known as||Dara, Sandy, Pambansang Krung-Krung ng Pilipinas, Darong, Santokki, Darabbit|
November 12, 1984 |
Busan, South Korea
|Genres||K-pop, hip hop, R&B, pop, electropop, dance-pop|
|Occupations||Singer, actress, dancer, model
2NE1's director of communications
|Associated acts||2NE1, Thunder|
|Revised Romanization||Park Sandara|
Sandara Park (Korean: 박산다라; born November 12, 1984), better known as Dara (Korean: 다라), is a South Korean idol singer and model. She is best known as being a member and the director of communications of the South Korean girl group 2NE1. She first gained major popularity on ABS-CBN's Star Circle Quest during her stay in the Philippines. Her younger brother, Park Sang-Hyun, better known as Cheondung, is a member of boy band MBLAQ under J. Tune Entertainment, a subsidiary of JYP Entertainment.
Early life and career
In 2004, during one of her school activities, she met Pauleen Luna, a former talent of ABS-CBN Corporation Channel 2's Talent Center. Luna encouraged Park to audition for Star Circle Quest, a reality-based talent search television program. Over the course of the season, she escaped elimination several times, and reached the final ten contestants. Her Korean ethnicity resulted in some trouble with the daily exercises set by the panel of Filipino judges. During the last elimination round (in which only five people advanced), Park received approximately half a million text votes. She eventually finished in second place behind Hero Angeles.
Park joined ABS-CBN's entertainment stable called Star Magic in the wake of her success in the show, with her projects ranging from commercial endorsements to television appearances. She starred in her first movie Bcuz Of U (2004), a three-story movie. She acted alongside Hero Angeles, and Filipino actresses Kristine Hermosa and Heart Evangelista. Park won "Best New Actress", her first acting award, in the 21st Philippine Movie Press Club Star Awards. Park and Angeles launched their first solo movie, Can This Be Love (2005) which reportedly grossed almost 100 million pesos. Park was also nominated for "Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Musical or Comedy)" at the 2006 Golden Screen Awards. Her third movie in the country was D' Lucky Ones (2006) wherein she was paired with co-SCQ alumnus, Joseph Bitangcol due to Angeles' decision to retire from show business. In the same year, her fourth and last movie Super Noypi was shown in Christmas 2006 and was an official entry into the 32nd Metro Manila Film Festival. The success of Park in the Philippines lead her to star in a drama series. One was Krystala, a fantasy series with Judy Ann Santos. She also acted in various series Crazy For You (2006) and Abt Ur Luv (2006) and television specials My Name is Sandara Park (2004), SCQ Reload: OK Ako! (2004) and Nuts Entertainment (2006) of GMA Network.
Park also embarked on a musical career that led to the release of her self-titled six-track album that contained the novelty dance hit "In or Out", a song that parodied her experiences on Star Circle Quest.
In December 2004, YG Entertainment's Yang Hyun Suk offered Park workshop classes in South Korea after seeing the KBS Documentary My Name Is Sandara Park. In March 2005, Park went ahead with the workshops, putting her career in the Philippines on hold. After six months, she resumed work in the Philippines, starring in several movies. She left the Philippines show business industry and returned to South Korea with her family on August 1, 2007. YG Entertainment announced the following day that Park had signed a contract with them.
YG Entertainment announced that the new group would consist of four members and debut sometime in May 2009. The company stated that the group had trained for four years, and that their debut album would contain songs produced by 1TYM's leader, Teddy Park and G-Dragon of Big Bang. The group's name was initially announced as "21"; however, due to the discovery of a singer with the same name, the group was renamed "2NE1", which "NE" is the abbreviation of "New Evolution". Sandara was placed in 2NE1, alongside Bom, Minzy and CL.
The group collaborated with label-mate senior Big Bang for the song "Lollipop". The song gained immediate success, but questions were still raised as to whether the group could survive on its own.
2NE1 debuted in SBS's The Music Trend on May 17, 2009 where they performed their digital single "Fire" produced by Teddy Park of 1TYM. With the release of their self-titled mini-album, the group started the promotions of their title track "I Don’t Care". Their mini album hit the no. 3 spot at the Hanteo's "Best-selling Album of 2009" with over 100,000 copies sold.
In October of the same year, 2NE1 returned with their first full-length debut studio album To Anyone, which was released on September 9, 2010. Promotions started with the simultaneous showcase of the three title tracks of the album, "Clap Your Hands", "Go Away" and "Can't Nobody". Following those promotions, another song "It Hurts (Slow)" was released on October 31 for Halloween. The album garnered huge success and 2NE1 won an overall 11 times on various music shows from their promotions. The album went on to sell over 150,000 copies.
Before her debut, she was featured in a TV drama The Return of Iljimae as Rie, and she also appeared as the lead actress in Gummy's music video for "I'm Sorry", together with labelmate T.O.P, one of the members of Big Bang.
In August 2009, Park was featured on G-Dragon's solo album Heartbreaker, with their song entitled "Hello". They performed together a couple of times on music events, shows, and also during G-Dragon's two-day solo concert entitled Shine A Light in December 2009.
On September 7, 2009, Park was the first among the members of 2NE1 to release a digital single. Entitled "Kiss", the song was produced by Teddy Park and was featured in Park's first commercial for Oriental Brewery's Cass Beer series alongside K-Drama actor Lee Min Ho. The song also featured fellow member CL as a rapper and peaked at #5 on the Gaon Chart.
In July 2010, Park was featured as the female lead in Taeyang's "I Need A Girl" music video. Two versions were made for the music video.
In April 18, 2011, Park announced that she has been officially promoted to the Communications Director of 2NE1. In order to officialize her promotion, YG Entertainment gave Park her own Certificate of Appointment.
Park was selected to become the Etude House's endorsement model for 2012, along with SHINee. Previously, Dara has already been working as an endorsement model for the cosmetic brand. The two would participate in the "Kiss Note" campaign, and would film a series of dramatic CFs (commercial films) together.
On June 27, 2012, Park's Philippine Movies were shown in Korea. The films "Bcuz of U", "The Lucky Ones", and "Can This Be Love" were shown on the said date on Korea's Home Choice and SK Broadband.
In February 2013, Park was selected to become CLIO's endorsement model and subsequently, became their new endorsement model.
On May 14, 2014, Sandara Park entered the Big Brother house as a celebrity houseguest during the live episode of Pinoy Big Brother: All In Über.
|2006||Ang Ganda Ko|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2004||"In Or Out"||—||Sandara|
|2005||"Walang Sabit"||—||Sandara: Walang Sabit|
|2006||"Ang Ganda Ko"||—||Sandara: Ang Ganda Ko|
|2009||"Kiss" (feat. CL)||5||To Anyone|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2009||"Hello" (G-Dragon feat. Sandara Park)||144||Heartbreaker|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|Bcuz of U||April|
|2005||Can This Be Love||Daisy|
|2006||D' Lucky Ones||Lucky Girl / Anna|
|Super Noypi||Michie Rapisora|
|2014||My Love From The Stars||Cameo Appearance|
|2004||Star Circle Quest||Herself||ABS-CBN|
|SCQ Reload: OK Ako!||Sandara Soh|
|Maalaala Mo Kaya: Scrapbook||Herself|
|My Name is Sandara Park||Herself|
|2005||Sandara: Ang Pambansang "Krung-Krung" ng Pilipinas||Herself|
|Farewell Lovers: A Lover in Paris Special||Herself|
|Komiks Presents: Machete||Mara|
|Crazy for You||Ara||ABS-CBN|
|Pinoy Big Brother: Celebrity Edition 1||Herself/Houseguest|
|Star Magic Presents: Abt Ur Luv||Betina|
|Nuts Entertainment||Herself||GMA Network|
|2007||Dalawang Tisoy||Kim Chee||RPN|
|2009||The Return of Iljimae||Rie||MBC|
|Family Outing||Herself (ep. 72-73)||SBS|
|Style||Herself (cameo, ep. 6)|
|2010||Strong Heart||Herself (ep. 49-50) "Korea's Blue Chip Special"|
|2012||Herself (ep. 123-124) "YG Family Special"|
|2013||Running Man||Herself (ep. 156)|
|Hwasin - Controller of the Heart||Herself/Guest (ep. 19)|
|Beatles Code 3D||Herself/Guest (ep. 1)||Mnet|
|2014||Running Man||Herself (ep. 195)||SBS|
|My Love from the Star||Top Actress (cameo, ep. 21)|
|The Bachelor||Herself (cameo, s. 18, ep. 4)||ABC|
|Aquino & Abunda Tonight||Herself/Guest||ABS-CBN|
|Pinoy Big Brother: All In||Herself/Houseguest|
|Gandang Gabi Vice||Herself/Guest|
Music video appearances
|2005||21st PMPC Star Awards for Movies||Best New Actress||Won|
|PARI||Double Platinum Award||Won|
|Golden Screen TV Awards||Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role (Musical or Comedy)||Nominated|
|2010||Allkpop Awards||Best Social Network Personality||Nominated|
|2012||Philippine Kpop Convention||Hottest Female Star||Won|
|2013||Arirang: Showbiz Korea||No. 1 Most Beautiful Idol Girl Group Member||Won|
- "Dara becomes 2NE1’s official communications director". en.korea.com. April 18, 2011.
- "산다라, 2NE1 공식홍보부장 위촉..YG, 임명장수여". News.Nate.com (in Korean). April 18, 2011.
- (English) Kim, Jessica. 2NE1 Sandara poses with brother Cheon Dung Asiae. February 11, 2009. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- (English) "Sandara Park – Biography". CelebrityRing. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "'Sandara on strong Heart, see around 4:25'".
- Star Circle Quest Season One holds a rare reunion ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Sandara Park on new found fame in Korea: ‘Parang dream lang, parang hindi ako makapaniwala’ ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Francisco, Butch (3 March 2007). "Not just another light comedy". The Philippine Star (Philippines: PhilStar Daily, Inc.). Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "About the film: Bcuz of You". Star Cinema. ABS-CBN. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- Sandara Park movies to be shown in Korea Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Can This Be Love (2005) by Jose Javier Reyes IMDb. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Sandara, nominated at Golden Screen Awards IMDb. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- D' Lucky Ones! (2006) Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Super Noypi vs. Enteng Kabisote 3 as MMFF top grosser? Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- New Addition to 'Krystala' cast Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- Sandara Park performs ‘In or Out’ in Korea ABS-CBN. Retrieved 08-23-2012
- (English) Kbs Global KBS Global. December 23, 2004. Retrieved February 22, 2014
- (English) Bonifacio, Julie. Sandara Park quits showbiz, goes back to Korea. Philippine Entertainment Portal. August 1, 2007. Retrieved October 13, 2008.
- (English) Kbs Global KBS Global. October 13, 2008. Retrieved April 24, 2010
- (Korean) Park, Kyeong-eun. ‘여자빅뱅’ 5월 초 데뷔, 新 여자아이돌 대 격돌 ("Female Big Bang" Debut in May, Female Idol Groups Crash (Together)). Good Day Sports. March 25, 2009. Retrieved May 6, 2009.
- (Korean) Hong, Jae-hyeon. 여자 아이들그룹 ‘3차 대전’ ‘애프터스쿨’·YG 3인조… ‘불꽃경쟁’ (Female Idol Groups, Three of Them in War: "After School" – "YG's Trio"...Flower War). DongA.com. January 6, 2009. Retrieved May 6, 2009.
- (Korean) Kim, Hyeong-woo. 여자빅뱅 5인조 결정 ‘산다라박 합류’ (Female Big Bang Now 5-Member Group, "Sandara Park Included"). Newsen. January 21, 2009. Retrieved May 6, 2009.
- (Korean) Lee, Hyae-rin. YG "원조 21에게 미안, '여자빅뱅' 이름 2NE1로 교체" (YG "We apologize to original '21' and Have Changed the Name to 2NE1!! Please forgive us!"). Asia Economy. March 30, 2009. Retrieved May 6, 2009.
- Park Se-yeon (February 9, 2010). "2NE1 오늘(9일) 게릴라 신곡 깜짝공개 ‘날 따라 해봐요’" [2NE1 releases geurilla surprise single today, 'Follow Me']. Joongang News (in Korean). Jcube Interactive Inc. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Gaon Chart Search: 2NE1". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved October 30, 2010.
- (Korean) Park, Se-yeon. 2NE1 오늘(9일) 게릴라 신곡 깜짝공개 ‘날 따라 해봐요’ (2NE1 Releases "Guerilla" Surprise Single "Please Follow Me" Today (the 9th)). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 9, 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "2NE1 9월9일 ‘트리플타이틀’로 출격" (in Korean). Newsen. August 17, 2010. Retrieved August 20, 2010.
- (Korean) Park, Mi Yae (October 23, 2010). "양현석 "2NE1 후속곡..할로윈 공개" 호기심" [Yang Hyun Suk: "2NE1 follow up song on Halloween," sparks public curiosity]. SPN (in Korean). eDaily. Retrieved October 23, 2010.
- "2NE1 후속곡 아파" [2NE1 Follow Up Song It Hurts]. YG Life (in Korean). YG Entertainment. October 30, 2010. Retrieved October 29, 2010.[dead link]
- Gil, Hye-seong (October 17, 2010). "2NE1, '인기가요' 초유 4주연속 1위" [2NE1, 4 unprecedented first place titles on Inkigayo]. Star News (in Korean). MoneyToday. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- "2NE1 'Sandara Park' hired as a new model". CLIO. February 5, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Gaon Chart Search: 다라". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association.
- Sandara Park on Twitter
- Sandara Park on Instagram
- Sandara Park on Me2day
- Sandara Park at the Internet Movie Database