Sanders County, Montana
|Sanders County, Montana|
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|Largest city||Thompson Falls|
2,790 sq mi (7,226 km²)
2,762 sq mi (7,154 km²)
28 sq mi (73 km²), 1.00%
4/sq mi (1.4/km²)
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 2,790 square miles (7,226 km²), of which 2,762 square miles (7,150 km2) of it is land and 28 square miles (73 km2) of it (1.00%) is water.
Adjacent Counties 
- Lincoln County, Montana - north
- Flathead County, Montana - northeast
- Lake County, Montana - east
- Missoula County, Montana - southeast
- Mineral County, Montana - south
- Shoshone County, Idaho - west
- Bonner County, Idaho - northwest
National protected areas 
- Kaniksu National Forest (part)
- Kootenai National Forest (part)
- Lolo National Forest (part)
- National Bison Range (part)
A variety of birds and other wildlife are found in Sanders County. The Tufted duck has been observed along the Bull River. An amphibian, the Rough-skinned Newt, has a disjunctive population at Thompson Falls which is un-contiguous with the remainder of the Western USA population of this species.
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,227 people, 4,273 households, and 2,897 families residing in the county. The population density was four people per square mile (1/km²). There were 5,271 housing units at an average density of two per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.91% White, 0.13% Black or African American, 4.74% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.26% from other races, and 2.64% from two or more races. 1.55% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 20.1% were of German, 12.1% English, 11.0% Irish, 7.9% American and 6.5% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000. 96.9% spoke English, 1.4% German and 1.2% Spanish as their first language.
There were 4,273 households out of which 26.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.30% were married couples living together, 7.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.20% were non-families. 28.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.86.
In the county the population was spread out with 23.80% under the age of 18, 5.50% from 18 to 24, 22.10% from 25 to 44, 31.80% from 45 to 64, and 16.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 102.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,852, and the median income for a family was $31,340. Males had a median income of $28,340 versus $17,630 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,593. About 13.30% of families and 17.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.30% of those under age 18 and 9.20% of those age 65 or over.
Census-designated places 
See also 
- List of cemeteries in Sanders County, Montana
- List of lakes in Sanders County, Montana
- List of mountains in Sanders County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Sanders County, Montana
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- C. Michael Hogan (2008) Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa), Globaltwitcher, ed. N. Stromberg 
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- FAA Airport Master Record for S09 ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 25 August 2011.
||Bonner County, Idaho||Lincoln County||Flathead County|
|Shoshone County, Idaho||Lake County|
|Mineral County||Missoula County|