Sandown Park railway station, Melbourne
|Station status||Unstaffed station|
|Website||Link, includes timetables|
Sandown Park is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Springvale, on the Pakenham and Cranbourne railway lines. Sandown Park is unstaffed and is in Myki Zone 2.
Sandown Park is located between Lightwood Road and Flinders Street, with station access from both via the station's underpass. The Sandown Racecourse and Sandown Greyhound Track are located near the station.
The station consists of two platforms, in an island format, with a large weatherboard building at the Dandenong end. Myki ticket machines are installed at the station, allowing the top up of existing cards as well as the purchase of new full fare cards.
Sandown Park station first opened in 1889 as Oakleigh Racecourse, and was renamed Sandown Park in 1892. In addition to the two main lines, there was a signal box and booking office, and two sidings each over 600 metres long on the eastern side of the tracks, for the stabling of special race trains. The station had no platform on the up track, instead having an island platform on the down track, the other face serving one of the sidings on the eastern side. The station was only used for racecourse traffic and closed in 1955. In 1965 it was reopened for general passenger traffic as an island platform. The station once had a second exit and subway at the up end of the platform but that has since been closed and filled in.
Platforms and services
- Pakenham line - all stations and limited express services to Flinders Street
- Cranbourne line - all stations and limited express services to Flinders Street
- Pakenham line - all stations and limited express services to Pakenham
- Cranbourne line - all stations and limited express services to Cranbourne
- Victorian Railways signalling diagram - "Sandown Park 743'09". www.signaldiagramsandphotos.com. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "VICSIG - Infrastructure - Sandown Park". www.vicsig.net. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "VICSIG - Infrastructure - Line Data Cranbourne line". www.vicsig.net. Retrieved 2009-07-12.
- "Original Sandown Park station". Railpage Australia Forums (Railway Archaeology). www.railpage.com.au. Retrieved 2009-07-12.