Her work appeared in The New Yorker. She was a columnist for Harpers Bazaar. Created her own foundation, "You're an Artist Too" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to teach poetry and song writing to children ages 7–12. She ran this program for 15 years. She lives in an Upper East Side Manhattan apartment.
- 1963 Yale Series of Younger Poets Competition
- 1963 Nominated for Pulitzer Prize
- 1975 1st Metropolitan Museum Award of Merit
- Voyage Home: Poems. Paris: Two Cities, 1960.
- Manhattan Pastures. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1963. Yale Series of Younger Poets, v. 59.
- The Vaudeville Marriage: Poems. New York: Viking, 1966.
- Love Poems: Ch’ing Shih. Hong Kong: I Lin Wen Chu Yin Shua, 1966. 100 copies.
- Love Letters from Asia: Poems. New York: Viking, 1968.
- Earthworks: Poems 1960-1970. New York: Viking, 1970; London: Secker & Warburg, 1972. ISBN 978-0-436-19920-2
- Futures: New Poems. New York: Viking, 1974.
- Walking Papers. New York: Viking, 1971.
- The Magic Convention. Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1971.
- Happiness Is Too Much Trouble: A Novel. New York: Putnam, 1976.
- Endangered Species: A Novel. New York: Putnam, 1977. ISBN 978-0-380-42366-8
- Jogging: A Love Story. New York: Putnam, 1979.
- Playing Tahoe: A Novel. New York: Wyndham Books, 1981. ISBN 978-0-671-25358-5
- Sandra Hochman, Sybil Wong (1976). Satellite Spies: The Frightening Impact of a New Technology. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill. ISBN 978-0-672-52137-9.
- Streams: Life Secrets for Writing Poems and Songs. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. 1978. ISBN 978-0-13-851261-3.
Plays Performed in Workshops
The Clown Woman (music by Galt MacDermot)
Walking Papers (music by Gary William Friedman)
The Sandancer (music by Galt MacDermot)
Vaudeville Jive (music by Gary William Friedman)
Explosion of Loneliness (music by Galt MacDermot)
The Whore and the Poet (music by MacDermot, Friedman & Green)
Custody (music my Marsha Singer)
Watercolor Girl (music by Marsha Singer)
Elvis Unbound (music by Rob Stoner)
Rubirosa (music by Gary Kupper)
Timmy the Great (music by Gary Kupper)
The Secrets of Mrs. Shakespeare (music by MacDermot & Friedman)
- Year of the Woman (1973).
- Douglas Rogers (16 April 2004). "The troublemaker". The Guardian.
- Douglas Rogers (July 4, 2004). "Lights, Camera, Sexism!". The Washington Post.
- STEVE PERSALL (January 16, 2004). "It's finally the 'Year of the Woman'". The St. Petersburg Times.
- "Savion Glover to Direct New Musical Timmy the Great in NYC Industry Reading", Playbill, Kenneth Jones, 14 Jul 2004