As Sandra Paul, she was a well-known model in the 1960s and was featured on the cover of American Vogue for two months in a row, was photographed by David Bailey and Norman Parkinson and was acquainted with John F Kennedy, Frank Sinatra and Bob Dylan.
She has been married four times, the first of which was when she was 18 to jazz pianist Robin Douglas-Home, the nephew of the former Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home. She has a son, Sholto, from this marriage. She was later married to David Wynne-Morgan, a publicist, whom she also divorced. She then married advertising executive Nigel Grandfield.
It was while married to Grandfield that she met Michael Howard at a Red Cross Ball. He was later named as co-respondent in what became a high-profile divorce case. She and Howard subsequently married in 1975. They have one son, Nicholas, who was born in 1976 and a daughter, Larissa, who was born in 1977.
She has written five novels, the most recent, "Tell the Girl", was published on 3 July 2014. She made a brief foray back to her modelling career in the 1990s by posing for Marks & Spencer catalogues.
- Glass houses, Simon & Schuster, 2006. ISBN 9781416521983
- Ursula's Story, Simon & Schuster, 2008. ISBN 9781416521990
- Ex-wives, Simon & Schuster, 2010. ISBN 9781847392619
- A Matter of Loyalty, Simon & Schuster, 2012. ISBN 9781847392602
- Tell the Girl, Simon & Schuster, 2014. ISBN 9781471111358