Sands Cotai Central
|Sands Cotal Central
|Opening date||11 April 2012|
|Number of rooms||6,000
(Conrad Macao 600
Holiday Inn Macao Cotai Strip 1,400
Sheraton Macao 2,000
Sheraton Towers Macao 2,000)
|Total gaming space||106,000 sq ft (9,800 m2)|
|Owner||Las Vegas Sands|
|Previous names||Cotai Strip parcels 5 and 6|
|Website||Sands China website|
Sands Cotai Central ((traditional Chinese (HK)): 金沙城中心) is a casino resort on the Cotai Strip, Macau. On 5 August 2011, Sands China announced that the $4 billion property long referred to as parcels five and six is now officially named Sands Cotai Central. It opened on 11 April 2012.
Cotai Central has combination of 6,000 rooms and suites from the Conrad, Sheraton, Sheraton Towers and Holiday Inn brands. It will also have meeting and convention space, and retail outlets, entertainment and dining options. There are two casinos, the Pacifica casino and Himalaya casino.
Hilton Worldwide's five-star Conrad Macao, Cotal Central, Cotai Strip opened at Cotai Central in the first quarter of 2012 and will have more than 600 rooms and suites.
The four-star Holiday Inn Macao, Cotal Central by IHG is also opened late first quarter 2012. It will features more than 1,200 rooms and suites. When built, the Holiday Inn Macau Cotai Strip will be the world’s largest Holiday Inn.
The five star Sheraton Macao Hotel, Cotai Central, has have nearly 1,800 of Starwood's Sheraton-branded hotel rooms opening for the Sky Tower in the third quarter of 2012, and another 2,000 rooms of Earth Tower in early 2013, the casino operator said in July 2011.
The 3,863-room (still expending) of the Sheraton Hotel is both the largest hotel in Macau and in the over 1,000-strong portfolio of hotels and resorts globally operated by the company. Recreational facilities include a Spa, three pools surrounded by 12,000 square metres of deck space, as well as fitness and kid’s entertainment programmes. The signature Xin restaurant, a seafood hotpot restaurant, will launch in April 2012.
A later stage plans a five star St Regis Macao Hotel, Cotai Central and branded residences would be opened on Aug 01, 2015.
MICE and non-gaming facilities
The site includes more than 300,000 square feet (28,000 m2) of meeting space, 11 food and beverage establishments and 106,000-square-foot (9,800 m2) of gaming area but also 13,700,000-square-foot (1,270,000 m2) of non-gaming facilities.
The resort will provide thousands of new non-gaming jobs, grow non-gaming revenues and expand a variety of non-gaming business segments, specifically the Meetings, Incentive, Convention and Exhibition industry, Sheldon Adelson stated.
The opening ceremony was been announced as "Asia's Biggest Launch Party in 2012". It will be marked by the feat of the high wire walker Jade Kindar-Martin and his wife Karine Mauffrey, the duo will attempt to traverse the 525 meter (1,700 feet) distance between the top of the Venetian and the new Conrad Hotel, whilst balancing 150 meters (500 feet) above the ground on a wire less than one inch thick. The walk will take an estimated half an hour and Kindar and Karine will meet at the midpoint of the walk. The spectacle will be accompanied by the sounds of the China National Symphony Orchestra.
The lead consultant for the project was architecture firm Aedas, who were responsible for employing all local consultants and for developing, coordinating and implementing the design. Main contractor for construction was Hsin Chong Construction Group Limited.
The first phase of Sands Cotai Central opened on April 11, 2012, featuring the Holiday Inn hotel with more than 1,200 rooms, and the Conrad hotel with more than 600 rooms. Eventually, the complex will offer close to 6,000 rooms across the Conrad, Sheraton and Holiday Inn brands.
The second phase opened on September 20, 2012.
Construction of the project has been slowed and complicated at least in part by government restrictions on the amount of foreign workers companies in the labor-starved territory can hire. According to the main contractor:
Work started in 2006 but the project went through a period of suspension due to the global economic crisis. During this period, work on the project came to a complete stop and it was therefore quite a challenge to restart the project. Staff had to be recruited and contractors engaged. Over 130 contractors were involved in the project. The imported labour quota restrictions have also been challenging.
The number of gaming tables at the resort has been a thorny issue as well since the local government imposed a cap on tables until 2013. The company said in early August 2011 that Sands Cotai Central will have up to 530 tables versus the 670 it was planning previously.
- (traditional Chinese (HK))金沙五六期命名"金沙城中心" Macao Daily. 28 October 2011.
- Sands China Signs Deal With Hilton, IHG for Cotai Project By KATE O'KEEFFE. Wall Street Journal online AUGUST 5, 2011, 9:16 A.M. ET
- Macau casino owners bet everyone wins as Adelson expands By Vinicy Chan. Macau Daily Times. 30 March 2012.
- Conrad and Holiday Inn Newest Additions to Sands Cotai Central in Macao S.A.R. CNN Money. August 05, 2011: 12:01 AM ET
- World’s largest Holiday Inn to be in Macau Japan Today. TRAVEL AUG. 10, 2011 - 05:58AM JST
- Sheraton Macao Hotel recruiting staff for opening in September 2012 Macau Daily Times. 22 February 2012.
- Sands signs Cotai deal with Conrad, Holiday Inn Macau Daily Times. August 6, 2011 09:23:00
- The final opening preparations by Paulo Barbosa. Macau Daily Times. 10 April 2012.
- ".Frank McGoldrick, Managing Director of Aedas Ltd on World's Biggest Casino". aedasasia.
- Hsin Chong Construction Group Ltd. (2012-04-12). "Sands Cotai Central Opens in Macau". Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Hsin Chong Construction Group Ltd. (2012-09-21). "Sands Cotai Central Second Phase Opened". Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- Sands China Signs Franchise Agreements With Hilton, IHG For Cotai Project Fox Business. By Kate O'Keeffe Published August 05, 2011