The Sandusky River begins at the juncture of Paramour Creek and Allen Run at the unincorporated community of Leesville in Crawford County west of Crestline, and initially flows westwardly, passing through the town of Bucyrus. In Wyandot County the river turns northward for the remainder of its course, flowing through Seneca and Sandusky counties and passing the towns of Upper Sandusky, Tiffin and Fremont before entering Sandusky Bay.
In 1970, the river's course between Upper Sandusky and Fremont was designated a State Scenic River by the government of Ohio.
Little Sandusky River
According to the Geographic Names Information System, the Sandusky River has also been known as:
- Potake Sepe
- Riviere Blanc
- Riviere Sanduski
- San-doo-stee River
- "Shawnees Webpage". Shawnee's Reservation. 1997. Retrieved 2013-04-26.
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed May 19, 2011
- Johnston, John (1858). Vocabularies of the Shawanoese and Wyandott Languages, etc.. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Wyandot Dictionary". Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Sandusky River
- Ohio DNR Sandusky State Scenic River website
- Sandusky River Watershed Coalition
- Sandusky River - Ohio History Central