||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
Sandy in 2010
|Birth name||Sandy Leah Lima|
January 28, 1983 |
Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
|Genres||Pop, pop rock, jazz, MPB|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, producer, actress|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Associated acts||Sandy & Junior|
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Other activities
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Discography
- 6 Videography
- 7 Bibliography
- 8 Tours
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Sandy was born to Noely Pereira and singer Durval de Lima, better known for his stage name, Xororó. She was named after the main character of Grease, the movie her parents watched together the day they started dating. She has one younger brother, Junior.
1989–2007: Sandy & Junior
Sandy & Junior performed as a duo for the first time in 1989 in Brazil. In 1991, they recorded their first album, which sold 250,000 copies in less than one month.
Sandy twice won the Multishow Award for Best Singer, and on several occasions she won the prize sponsored by Nickelodeon (TV channel) in the category of "Best Singer". When she was 13 years old, she participated in a special tribute to the singer Elis Regina, broadcast by Rede Globo. After this presentation, Sandy partnered with Pedro Mariano (son of Elis), Gilberto Gil, Milton Nascimento, Caetano Veloso, Ivete Sangalo, and Marcelo Bratke, among other renowned singers and players of Brazilian popular music.
Of the important moments in her career, several stand out: a show in João Pessoa (2001) to over 1.2 million people, Rock in Rio III, along with her brother, and a concert in Maracanã (which gave rise to a CD and DVD). She has partnered with great names in international music, such as Andrea Bocelli, who sang a duet on the song "Vivo por Ella"; Enrique Iglesias, singing "You're My #1"; and in 2006, with Taboo from The Black Eyed Peas.
Sandy and her brother announced they were parting company in early 2007, to pursue solo careers. The pair toured Brazil in a large farewell tour later that year.
2007–2009: Career Break
In 2007, Sandy made her first solo tour with a repertoire that included songs by Tom Jobim, Ira and George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Arthur Hamilton, among others. Besides singing, Sandy also wrote the musical direction of the show, alongside bassist Chico Willcox. She then recorded the project "Piano and Voice", with pianist Marcelo Bratke.
In May 2009, Sandy reached the charts in Canada with the single "Scandal". On May 26, 2009, Sandy sang "As canções que você fez para mim" in the show Elas cantam Roberto, in tribute to the 50-year career of Roberto Carlos, which is available on CD and DVD. In August, Sandy made her first solo appearance at Children's Hope, singing the song "Ciranda da Bailarina", by Chico Buarque, with young dancers and students of the veteran ballerina Ana Botafogo. On November 22, 2009, Sandy sang with Jason Mraz at the Natura Nos About Us Festival in São Paulo.
In March 2010, Sandy was chosen Woman of the Year from the Women of the Decade, by the readers of Contigo magazine. Since 1999, Sandy has been listed as one of the 100 Sexiest Women in Brazil in several editions of VIP magazine.
In May 2010, Sandy released her debut album, Manuscrito. Some time before, she released the first single from this album, "Pés Cansados". A few days after the album came out, it was certified gold. One of the album's tracks features the British singer Nerina Pallot. Sandy has been on tour to promote her album in Brazil, but there are still no plans to sing in English or tour abroad. She noted:
- "I'm satisfied with Brazil. This is my place. Some think an international career is just one more step and others think it's the big chance of life, but I don't have time to plan an international career."
Sandy has been touring and performing her album Manuscrito throughout Brazil and other international locations.
In November 2012, she released her first EP, Princípios, Meios e Fins. To promote the album, the song "Aquela dos 30" was released as a single. A video for the song was released on November 11, 2012.
Sandy had previously dated musician Lucas Lima for five months in 1999; they resumed their relationship years later, announced their engagement in 2007, and were married on September 12, 2008. Their wedding ceremony was held in Campinas, São Paulo, Sandy's hometown, where they currently live. They have one son, Theo Scholles Lima (born June 24, 2014).
Sandy graduated from Pontifical Catholic University of Campinas in 2008 with a degree in Portuguese and English.
- 2010 - Manuscrito - BRA: 200,000
- 2011 - Manuscrito Ao Vivo - BRA: 150,000
- 2012 - Princípios, Meios e Fins (EP) - BRA: 10,000
- 2013 - Sim - BRA: 20,000
Albums from Sandy and Junior
- 1991 - Aniversário do Tatu - BRA: 307,500
- 1992 - Sábado a Noite - BRA: 409,500
- 1993 - Tô Ligado em Você - BRA: 457,000
- 1994 - Pra Dançar Com Você - BRA: 506,500
- 1995 - Você é D+ - BRA: 550,000
- 1996 - Dig-Dig-Joy - BRA: 700,000
- 1997 - Sonho Azul - BRA: 762,500
- 1998 - Era Uma Vez (Ao Vivo) - BRA: 1,718,500
- 1999 - As Quatro Estações - BRA: 2,586,000
- 2000 - As Quatro Estações - O Show - BRA: 3,000,000
- 2001 - Sandy e Junior 2001 - BRA: 1,500,000
- 2002 - S&J Internacional - BRA: 1,238,500
- 2002 - Ao Vivo no Maracanã/Internacional Extras - BRA: 450,000
- 2003 - Identidade - BRA: 600,000
- 2006 - Sandy e Junior - BRA: 250,000
- 2007 - Acústico MTV - BRA: 250,000
Video Solo Albums
- Documentary Tempo (special edition of Manuscrito)
Albums Recorded Video from Sandy e Junior
- 1998 - Era Uma Vez (Ao Vivo)
- 2000 - As Quatro Estações - O Show
- 2002 - Ao Vivo No Maracanã
- 2003 - Acquária
- 2006 - Making of Sandy e Junior 2006 (special edition CD)
- 2007 - Acústico MTV (MTV Unplugged)
Sandy graduated with a degree in languages and literature (Portuguese and English) in 2008. She has not written any entire books, but she has participated in books (with short texts or photos) and released a few photo albums and a series of special magazines for fans.
- July 2010 "Egg Oil" published by Veja magazine.
- Newsletters of Fique Ligado (over 80 monthly magazines)
- Sandy & Junior, 1999 Album (Panini Maxicromos)
- 2001 Album Estrela Guia (Maxicromos)
- 2003 Album Acquaria
- Mulheres Fora de Cena - book (matter with the theme: paint pictures)
- Entre tramas, rendas e fuxicos: o figurino na teledramaturgia da TV Globo (by Lilian Arruda)
- 2009: Mais Você - book (photo from Sandy & Junior)
- 2009: Eu Queria Ser... - book (Sandy dressed as Catwoman)
- 2007 - Sandy Solo Tour
- 2010 - Tour "Manuscrito"
- 2011 - Sandy Sings Michael Jackson
- 01. 1.2 million people - João Pessoa / PB - 2001
- 02. 1.5 million people - the U.S. (Brazilian Day) - 2006
- 03. 800 000 people - São Paulo / SP (Show CUT) - 2004
- 04. 250 000 people - Cabo Frio / RJ - 2001
- 05. 250,000 people - Rio de Janeiro / RJ (Rock In Rio III) - 2001
- 06. 200 000 people - Curitiba / PR - 2003
- 07. 200 000 people - Mangalore / RJ - 2003
- 08. 200 000 people - Cabo Frio / RJ - 2000
- 09. 100 000 people - Carapicuíba / SP - 2007
- 10. 100 000 people - São Caetano do Sul / SP - 2004
- 11. 100 000 people - Manaus / AM - 2002
- "Novità - Comunicação Estratégica - Assessoria de imprensa". Novitacom.com.br. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "O portal de notícias do Estado de S. Paulo". Economia.estadao.com.br. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- "Paródias de Sandy e Devassa fazem sucesso no Twitter - EXAME.com". Exame.abril.com.br. Retrieved 2014-07-27.