Sandy Creek High School
|Some or all of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (September 2007)|
|Sandy Creek High School|
|360 Jenkins Road
Tyrone, Georgia, 30290-1614
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Success Is A Choice", "From Good To Great|
|School district||Fayette County School District|
|Principal||Dr. Darrell Evans|
|Assistant principals||Deborah Rasnake
|Number of students||1,257|
|Athletics conference||5-AAAA in Georgia High School Association (GHSA)|
|Accreditation(s)||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Website||Sandy Creek High School|
Sandy Creek serves Tyrone, northern Fayetteville, and small northern portions of Fairburn and Peachtree City. It opened in 1991 with approximately 400 students in order to relieve overcrowding at Fayette County High School and McIntosh High School.
Today, the school has 1,257 students enrolled in grades 9-12 and is accredited by the Southern Association of High Schools and Colleges.
- 1 Sports
- 2 Volleyball
- 3 Football
- 4 Basketball
- 5 Baseball
- 6 Track and Field
- 7 Soccer
- 8 Swimming
- 9 Wrestling
- 10 Fine Arts
- 11 Awards
- 12 Notable alumni
- 13 References
- 14 External links
In recent years, Sandy Creek has become known for its successful sports programs with many alumni having received Division I athletic scholarships, with several even playing professionally. 2000 State Cheerleading Champions, 2004-2005 Football Region Champions,1997 & 2002 Boys Basketball Elite 8, 2005 Boys Basketball Semi-Finalist, 2002 & 2003 basketball Region Champions, 2008-2009 6-AAAA Volleyball State & Region Champions and Multiple State Track Championships. Sandy Creek won its first football state title on December 11, 2009. Sandy Creek became back to back state champs on exactly the same day 1 year later defeating Carrollton in the AAA title.
- 2007-2008 State Runner-Up
- 2008-2009 State Champions
- 2008-2009 Region Champions
- 2010-2011 State Runner-Up
- 2011-2012 State Champions
- 2012-2013 State Champions
The Sandy Creek Football team finished the 2010 season with a 29 game win streak. The streak ended at 41 straight games after a loss to the Gainesville Red Elephants in the 2011 quarterfinals.
- 2009 AAAA State Football Champions (14-1)
- 2010 AAA State Football Champions (15-0)
- 2012 AAAA State Football Champions (15-0)
- '97 SCHS Grad - Jabari Holloway (Notre Dame/New England Patriots/Houston Texans)
- '01 SCHS Grad - J.R. Lemon (Stanford University/Oakland Raiders)
- '02 SCHS Grad - Riley Swanson (Wake Forest/Buffalo Bills)
- '02 SCHS Grad - Kedric Golston (University of Georgia/Washington Redskins)
- '04 SCHS Grad - Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech/Detroit Lions)
- '04 SCHS Grad - Andrew Gardner (Georgia Tech/Miami Dolphins)
SCHS Football 10+ Win Seasons
- '03 Season Record: 10-1 (Region Champions and Undefeated in Region 4-AAAA)
- '04 Season Record: 11-1 (Region Champions and Undefeated in Region 4-AAAA)
- '08 Season Record: 11-1 (Region Champions and Undefeated in Region Play)
- '09 Season Record: 14-1 (Region Champions and AAAA state champions)
- '10 Season Record: 15-0 (Region Champions and AAA state champions)
- '11 Season Record: 12-1 (Region Champions and Undefeated in Region 4-AAA)
- '12 Season Record: 15-0 (Region Champions and AAAA State Champions)
SCHS Football History (Noteworthy)
- The first Fayette County football team to win a state championship.
- In 2003 and 2004, the Patriot Football Program boasted two perfect 10-0 regular season records and trips to the AAAA State Playoffs, including 24 straight regular season victories. Also had a perfect regular season in 2008.
- Sandy Creek won back to back state titles in two different divisions. They won a AAAA state title in 2009 and a AAA title in 2010.
SCHS Football Coaching
Chip Walker currently holds the head coaching position for the Sandy Creek Patriots football program.
Sandy Creek had five straight regional championships in the 2008 through 2012 seasons.
Sandy Creek won the schools' first state championship on December 11, 2009.
The Sandy Creek basketball team made it the Final Four in 2005. SCHS retired the Jersey of #23 L.T. Lockett, one of the most prolific scorers in Georgia HS history, in 2001. D-I basketball players include John Beckett (Georgia State University), L.T. Lockett (Middle TN State University/NBA 2005/2006.) #34 Aaron B. Caruthers graduate of class of 2005 and 2005 Final Four Team (Div.1 University of North Florida)
Eric Thomas was selected by the Miwaukee Brewers in the 28 round of the 2002 MLB Draft. Brent Brewer was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 60th pick of the 2006 MLB Draft.Blake Brewer was also selected in the 2008 MLB Draft by the Florida Marlins. D-I baseball players include Eric Thomas (2002) (Southern University), Jay Fields.
Track and Field
- 100: Devon Lewis, (2012)
- 400m: Michael DeHaven (2007)
- 800m: Nathan Knowles (1996)
- 1600m: Brent Johnson (1996)
- Pole Vault: Steven Harvey (2000), Danny Giglio (2005)
- Triple Jump: Mellany Stanislaus (2004, 2005), Christian Taylor (2006, 2007)
- 200m: Carl McGill (2007)
- Team Title: 2007 (AAA), 2008 (AAA)
- High Jump: Delmont Early III (1995)
DIVISION 1 (D-1) TRACK ATHLETES
- '96 SCHS Grad - Nathan Knowles (Wake Forest University) (2X All-ACC) and (University of Arkansas)(All-SEC)
- '97 SCHS Grad - Brent Johnson (Georgia Tech) (Indoor Record - DMR)
- '05 SCHS Grad - Mellany Stanislaus (Georgia Tech)
- '05 SCHS Grad - Danny Giglio (Georgia Tech)
- '05 SCHS Grad - Matthew Auers (Kennesaw)
- '07 SCHS Grad - Michael DeHaven (Auburn)
- '08 SCHS Grad - Christian Taylor (University of Florida)
- '12 SCHS Grad - Jared Johnson (Western Carolina University)
- '12 SCHS Grad - Jamie Bigby (Western Carolina University)
- '12 SCHS Grad - Ben Williams (Davidson College)
In Spring 2007, for the first time in school history, the Sandy Creek boys soccer team made the state playoffs. The boys team achieved a #4 seed in Region 6-AAA. The boys team has made the state playoffs each of the last 3 years. In 2008 the boys team reached the second round of the playoffs for the first time in school history.
The Sandy Creek Swimming Patriots have a competitive swimming program, coached by Steve Henderson and assisted by Evans Martin.
Sandy Creek's wrestling team competes in a wide range of matches and tournaments throughout the season. Derek Wojcik is the most prolific wrestler to graduate from Sandy Creek. He was a state champion in 2010 and 2009. Other Notables include two time placer Julian Holmes, who took 5th in 2008 and 2nd in 2009, Dillan Schouw, who took 3rd in 2010, and Treijon Johnson who took 6th in 2012 and 4th in 2013. Wojcik and Schouw are Sandy Creek's only active college wrestlers.
Mr. Scott Smith Mr. Andy Hasinski
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2011)|
The Sandy Creek fine art department includes: 4 Choirs, Orchestra, Band, Art and Drama departments.
The Choral Department consistently receives superior ratings every year from The Georgia Music Educators Association (GMEA) as well as performing on a national level. The chorus includes four groups: [Men's, Treble (Women), Honor Ensemble(Women), and the Advanced Mixed Chorus]. In 2009, The GMEA invited the Men's Chorus to perform for the GMEA In-Service Conference in Savannah, Georgia; they were the only all men high school chorus to perform. The following year, The Advanced Mix Chorus would travel to San Francisco to perform with world renowned ensemble, Chanticleer.
Fox 5 Glee Contest
In fall 2009 six members of the Select Mixed Chorus would enter and win a contest hosted by Fox5 News and B98.5fm for the premiere of the television series Glee. After performing live at the Fox News studio, they received an array of grand prizes as well as being declared "Georgia's Best Vocal Ensemble."
The Sandy Creek High School Wind Ensemble and symphonic band receive superior ratings at the GMEA Large Group Performance Evaluation each year. The band has a total of four programs that include a jazz ensemble, wind ensemble, symphonic band, and concert band. The Sandy Creek High School Marching Band also receives superiors at local marching band competitions in the state of Georgia
- 2004 Georgia School of Excellence
- 2006 & 2007 Bronze Winner of Achievement by the Governor and the Department of Education
- 2008 & 2009 Gold Award Winner of Achievement by the Governor and the Department of Education
- 2003 & 2008 Newsweek Magazine's "Top 1500 High Schools in the United States"
- 1996 Georgia School of Excellence
- Rob Redding is a syndicated talk show host (Graduated from Sandy Creek in 1994's Charter Class)
- 1st Lt. Robert Wilson Collins died on April 7, 2010 in Mosul, Iraq when his vehicle was hit by an explosive device. (Graduated from Sandy Creek in 2004 and from United States Military Academy at West Point in 2008)
- Calvin Johnson (2004), wide receiver for the Detroit Lions
- Andrew Gardner (2004), offensive lineman for the Houston Texans
- Kedric Golston (2002), offensive Lineman for the Washington Redskins
- Christian Taylor (2008), Olympic Gold Medalist Triple Long Jump 2012
- Jenna Jackson (2007), Miss University of Georgia 2013
Sandy Creek Website: http://www.sandycreekhighschool.com/