Sandy Powell (costume designer)
Powell at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival (2011)
April 7, 1960(age 52)
Sandy Powell OBE (born 7 April 1960) is a British costume designer who has been nominated ten times for the Academy Award . She won the Oscar in 1999 for the film Shakespeare in Love, in 2005 for The Aviator, and in 2010 for The Young Victoria. She has received nine BAFTA nominations, winning in 1999 for Velvet Goldmine and 2010 for The Young Victoria. She won numerous other awards in costume design for the latter film.
She went to Saint Martin's School of Art, London, before completing her degree, due to offers of work from, amongst others, Derek Jarman. Whilst at Central[clarification needed], the renowned theatre designer Pamela Howard, then first year tutor, told Powell that there was nothing that she could teach her.
Powell is a cousin of the equally successful costume designer, Anthony Powell.
- Edward II (1991) (won Evening Standard British Film Award)
- Orlando (1992) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Crying Game (1992)
- Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
- Rob Roy (1995)
- The Wings of the Dove (1997) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Velvet Goldmine (1998) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) (won Academy Award)
- The End of the Affair (1999)
- Gangs of New York (2002) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Far from Heaven (2002)
- Sylvia (2003)
- The Aviator (2004) (won Academy Award)
- Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Departed (2006)
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)
- The Young Victoria (2009) (won Academy Award)
- Shutter Island (2010)
- The Tempest (2010) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Hugo (2011) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013 film)
- Rhiannon Harries (05 September 2010). How We Met: Lea Anderson & Sandy Powell. The Independent. Accessed August 2013.
- Ide, Wendy (15 February 2008). "Sandy Powell on what it takes to be a costume designer". Times Online. Times Newspapers. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandy Powell (costume designer).|
|This biographical article related to film in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|