Sanford H. Calhoun High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Sanford H. Calhoun High School|
|1786 State Street
Merrick, New York, 11566
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District|
|Number of students||1,438|
|Color(s)||Blue and gray|
Sanford H. Calhoun High School is a public high school located in Merrick, New York. Established in 1958, Calhoun is one of three high schools in the Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District, and acts as a magnet school for several programs.
|This section may have been copied and pasted from http://www.bellmore-merrick.k12.ny.us/schools/shchs_clubs ( · ), possibly in violation of Wikipedia's copyright policy. Please remedy this by editing this article to remove any non-free copyrighted content and attributing free content correctly, or flagging the content for deletion. Please be sure that the source of the copyright violation is not itself a Wikipedia mirror. (December 2014)|
Hoofbeats is the official student newspaper of Calhoun, informing the students, teachers, and community of the school's news and events. The paper is produced five times a year, with several editions in color, and spotlights the latest happenings on and around the campus.
Calhoun competes in Section VIII athletics, a compilation of public schools in Nassau County. The fall season hosts boys and girls cross country, football, boys and girls soccer, girls tennis, boys badminton, boys volleyball, girls volleyball, and girls swimming. The winter hosts wrestling, boys and girls basketball, and indoor track, with district teams—including athletes from the other two schools of the district, Mepham and Kennedy—for ice hockey, swimming, diving, rifle, and bowling. The final season, spring, is home to boys and girls lacrosse, track and field, baseball, softball, boys tennis, and girls badminton.
Calhoun Choral Program
The Calhoun Choral Program (CCP) is composed of over 160 students, and consists of three groups. Many students belong to more than one group:
- Concert Choir is an auditioned 75-person class composed of tenth, eleventh, and twelfth graders. Each spring, over one-hundred students audition for the incoming group. The group performs a wide variety of three-, four-, six-, and eight-part music, primarily a cappella.
- Chorale, a 3-section class made of over 80 ninth–twelfth grade students, is a group that performs a wide variety of three-part a cappella and accompanied music.
- Crescendo, the most well known of the ensembles, is an auditioned show choir of 24 students that performs pop-rock literature with choreography.
- Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, of Ben & Jerry's
- Jeff Mattson, lead guitarist and singer of Dark Star Orchestra
- Kevin Shinick, actor, writer, and director, notably of Robot Chicken
- Debbie Gibson, singer and actress
- Lindsay Lohan, singer and actress
- Robbie Rosen, American Idol contestant
- Zack Ryder, professional wrestler and current WWE Superstar
- "Clubs". Sanford H. Calhoun High School. Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "About the CCP...". Calhoun Choral Program. Calhoun Choral Program. Retrieved July 23, 2012.
- "Cohen, Bennett (Ben) and Greenfield, Jerry". Pennsylvania Center for the Book. Nicholas Anthony. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Pacer '76, Sanford H. Calhoun H.S. Pacer Staff, New York, 1976
- "Lindsay Lohan—Biography". Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc. Retrieved December 4, 2014.