Sanford H. Calhoun High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Sanford H. Calhoun High School|
|1786 State St
Merrick, New York, 11566
|School district||Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District|
|Number of students||1,438|
|Color(s)||Blue and gray|
Sanford H. Calhoun High School is a high school located in Merrick, New York, United States. It is one of three high schools in the Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District. Calhoun is a magnet school for several programs.
Hoofbeats is the official student newspaper of Calhoun, informing the students, teachers, and community of the school’s news and events. The paper is produced five times a year, with several editions in color, and spotlights the latest happenings on and around the campus.
Calhoun HS competes in Section VIII athletics, a compilation of public schools in Nassau County. The fall season hosts boys and girls cross country, football, boys and girls soccer, girls tennis, boys badminton, boys volleyball, girls volleyball, and girl's swimming. The winter hosts wrestling, boys and girls basketball, and indoor track, with district teams (which include athletes from the other two schools of the district, Mepham and Kennedy) existing for ice hockey, swimming, diving, rifle, and bowling. The final season, spring, is home to boys and girls lacrosse, track and field, baseball, softball, boys tennis, and girls badminton. 
Calhoun Choral Program (CCP)
The Calhoun HS Choral Program is composed of over 160 students. The CCP consists of 3 groups. Many students belong to more than one group:
- Concert Choir is an auditioned 75-person class composed of 10th, 11th and 12th graders. Each spring, over one-hundred students audition for the incoming group. They perform a wide variety of three, four, six, and eight part music, primarily a cappella.
- Chorale, a 3-section class made of over 80 9–12th grade students, is a group that performs a wide variety of three-part a cappella and accompanied music.
- Crescendo, the most well-known of the ensembles, is an auditioned show choir of 24 students that performs pop-rock literature with choreography/movement.
- Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
- Jeff Mattson, lead guitarist and singer of Dark Star Orchestra
- Kevin Shinick, actor/writer/director, notably Robot Chicken
- Debbie Gibson, singer/actress
- Lindsay Lohan, singer/actress
- Robbie Rosen, American Idol Contestant
- Zack Ryder, Professional Wrestler and current WWE Superstar
|This New York (state) school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|