|Type||Non-Profit, Private Corporation|
|Founded||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, 1996|
|Number of locations||280|
|Area served||Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota|
|Key people||Kelby Krabbenhoft (Pres. & CEO)
David Link (SVP)
Becky Nelson (SVP & COO)
Sanford Health is a non-profit, integrated health care delivery system, with its headquarters based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, with additional offices in Fargo, North Dakota. It is composed of hospitals, clinics, long-term care, managed care, licensed practitioners, a health plan, a foundation, a clinical research center and seven basic research centers. Its geographical reach covers over 200,000 square miles (520,000 km2) in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and South Dakota.
Sanford Health has its roots in the Dakotas at the beginning of the 20th century with Sioux Falls Hospital opening in Sioux Falls in 1894, and St. Luke’s Hospital opening in Fargo in 1908. Over the next 80 years, both hospitals grew in size and influence, becoming integrated hospital-clinic systems known as Sioux Valley Health System and MeritCare Health System. The Sioux Valley Health System was renamed Sanford Health in 2007 after Denny Sanford's $400 million gift to the organization. On November 2, 2009, MeritCare merged into Sanford. Additional mergers with North Country Regional Health in Bemidji, Minnesota and Medcenter One Health Systems followed in 2011 and 2012.
Medcenter One Health Systems
Medcenter One Health Systems was a non-profit American health care provider headquartered in Bismarck, North Dakota. Medcenter One offered nine clinics, three long-term care facilities, and multiple hospital affiliations. Medcenter One was designated as a Level II trauma center. It was bought and merged into Sanford Health in 2012.
- "About Sanford Health". Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Facts". Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Sanford Health-MeritCare Leaders". Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Sanford and MeritCare Create A New Health System". Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "The Gift". Retrieved 3 February 2007.
- Lindsay Hamilton, ABC News. "Man Gives Away $400 Million to Hospitals". Retrieved 7 March 2007.
- Patrick Springer, The Fargo Forum. "Sanford Health and MeritCare Complete Merger". Retrieved 3 November 2009.
- "Sanford and MeritCare Create a New Health System". Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "Two Health Systems Unite in Bemidji". Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- Medcenter One, Sanford Health Complete Merger, Sioux Falls Business Magazine, 5 July 2012