Sang Doo! Let's Go to School
|Let's Go to School, Sang-doo!|
|Written by||Lee Kyung-hee|
|Directed by||Lee Hyung-min|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||16|
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:50 (KST)|
|Original channel||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
|Original run||September 15, 2003– November 4, 2003|
Sang-doo! Let's Go to School! (Hangul: 상두야, 학교가자!; RR: Sangdooya, hakgyo kaja!) is a 2003 South Korean television series starring Rain, Gong Hyo-jin, Lee Dong-gun, Hong Soo-hyun and Song Min-joo. It aired on KBS2 from September 15 to November 4, 2003 Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:50 for 16 episodes.
Cha Sang-doo (Rain) and Chae Eun-hwan (Gong Hyo-jin) grew up as best of friends, who secretly have crushes on each other. One day, Eun-hwan's family goes bankrupt and debtors rush to collect their belongings. Eun-hwan tries to reason with a debt collector who is taking her father's old record player, but he takes it anyway. Sang-doo, on his way to walk to school with Eun-hwan, sees the whole thing. He tries to purchase it from the man, but is refused. In a struggle to retrieve the record player, Sang-doo ends up throwing a man off a bridge and putting him in a coma. Sang-doo is sent to prison for assault. After being released from prison, he finds that his parents have disowned him and moved to America and Eun-hwan has run off with her family.
Years pass, and Sang-doo now has a daughter, Cha Bo-ri (Song Min-joo), from a one night stand with Han Se-ra (Hong Soo-hyun). She is sick and diagnosed with leukemia. In order to pay off her hospital bills, Sang-doo becomes a gigolo. His uncle (Lee Young-ha) was a former gigolo and gives him advice on the trade.
One day, he comes across his long-lost first love, Eun-hwan, who is now a high school math teacher in his city. In an effort to regain her love, he returns to high school, first as a security guard and then as a student in her class. Unfortunately, she is engaged to his daughter's doctor, Kang Min-suk (Lee Dong-gun). Min-suk and Sang-doo start off as rivals, vying for Eun-hwan's heart, but later end up as good friends. As everything seems to be going smoothly for Sang-doo and Eun-hwan, circumstances prevent them from staying together.
- Cha Sang-doo - Rain (also known as Bi)
- Sang-doo is the protagonist of the drama. As a boy, he was charismatic and always popular. One day, he tried to retrieve his first love's cherished possession, but in the process kills a man. His life was turned upside down - he was sent to prison, his parents disowned him, and his first love disappeared. He ends up having a child with Han Se-ra. His daughter Bo-ri has leukemia and to pay her medical bills, he secretly becomes a gigolo with the help of his uncle.
- Chae Eun-hwan - Gong Hyo-jin
- Eun-hwan has been in love with her childhood best friend since high school, but was separated from him due to her family's financial troubles. As a sign of her devotion to him, she takes care of his dog until the day they reunite.
- Kang Min-suk - Lee Dong-gun
- Min-suk is Eun-hwan's fiance and also happens to be Cha Bo-ri's attending physician. Initially, he dislikes Sang-doo and always finds ways to challenge him. Eventually, he gets to know Sang-doo's true character and becomes one of his best friends.
- Han Se-ra (aka Pal-ran) - Hong Soo-hyun
- Se-ra is a wannabe model. She was abandoned by her birth mother when she was young and has lived on her own ever since. She met Sang-doo at a restaurant and fell in love with him. After giving birth to Bo-ri, she gave her up for adoption because she was unable to pay for her medical bills. Sang-doo retrieves Bo-ri and raises her. Se-ra uses this to stay close to Sang-doo.
- Song Min-joo as Cha Bo-ri (Sang-doo's daughter)
- Lee Young-ha as Cha Man-do (Sang-doo's uncle)
- Yeo Seung-hyuk as Chae Ji-hwan (Eun-hwan's brother)
- Jeon Hye-bin as Yoon Hee-seo
- Shin Goo as Song Jong-doo (principal)
- Jung Ae-ri as Gong Shim-ran (Eun-hwan's mother)
- Kim Mi-kyung as Sang-doo's teacher
- My Love - Jung Chul
- Beautiful Thing
- 난 멈추지 않는다
- 내안의 다짐
- 내 어린 시절 그 바닷가(연주곡)
- Silver Lining
- Perfectly Numb
- 2003 KBS Drama Awards
- Excellence Award, Actress - Gong Hyo-jin
- Best Supporting Actress - Hong Soo-hyun
- Best Actor in a Comic Role - Lee Young-ha
- Best Actress in a Comic Role - Jung Ae-ri
- Best Child Actress - Song Min-joo
- Best New Actor - Rain
- Netizen Award, Actor - Rain
- Netizen Award, Actress - Gong Hyo-jin
- Best Couple Award - Rain and Gong Hyo-jin
- 2004 Baeksang Arts Awards
- Popularity Award (TV) - Rain
|1||20.1% (1st)||20.9% (1st)|
|2||22.8% (1st)||23.6% (1st)|
|3||28.0% (1st)||28.7% (1st)|
|4||30.8% (1st)||31.1% (1st)|
|5||32.3% (1st)||32.7% (1st)|
|6||34.4% (1st)||34.6% (1st)|
|7||36.2% (1st)||36.5% (1st)|
|8||35.7% (1st)||36.2% (1st)|
|9||36.1% (1st)||36.7% (1st)|
|10||36.2% (1st)||37.0% (1st)|
|11||36.6% (1st)||37.1% (1st)|
|12||36.5% (1st)||37.0% (1st)|
|13||36.8% (1st)||37.5% (1st)|
|14||37.0% (1st)||37.8% (1st)|
|15||37.6% (1st)||38.4% (1st)|
|16||38.4% (1st)||39.1% (1st)|