|Founder||Edward O. Lanphier II|
|Headquarters||Richmond, California, USA|
Number of employees
Sangamo BioSciences (NASDAQ: SGMO) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company involved in gene therapy that is researching ways of commercializing Zinc finger nucleases which modify a cell's DNA at an exact location thereby correcting or disrupting a specific gene.
Sangamo BioSciences' lead therapy, SB-728, is a potential functional cure for HIV/AIDS. SB-728 works by removing some of the immune cells from the patient's blood that HIV attacks. The blood is sent to a lab which applies the SB-728 treatment to the patient's immune cells. The treatment removes the protein gateway on the immune cells that HIV needs to infect. The treated cells are then infused back into the patient whereby they reproduce and take over as HIV attacks and kills the non-treated cells. The treated, resistant cells thereby control the HIV infection and thus cures the patient from opportunistic infections that result from HIV. Recent published data further support the company's ongoing progress which has been described as "a major step toward immunological functional control of HIV."
- "The Man Who Had HIV and Now Does Not". New York Magazine. May 29, 2011.
- "Sangamo's New Drug To Combat AIDS/HIV Seen As A Potential Game-Changer". Forbes. September 26, 2011.
- "Pathway to a Cure: Positive Results Continue for Sangamo’s CCR5 Gene Therapy". AIDSMEDS. March 9, 2012.
- "Sangamo BioSciences Initiates Gene Therapy Trials Toward A Cure For HIV". The AIDS Beacon. January 10, 2012.
- "Giving HIV a Poor Reception: New AIDS Treatment Tinkers with Immune Cell Genes". Scientific American. March 3, 2011.
- "Sangamo BioSciences Announces Presentation of Clinical Data Demonstrating Functional Control of Viremia in HIV-Infected Subjects Treated with SB-728-T". PRNewsWire. September 12, 2014. Archived from the original on March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- "Sangamo BioSciences announces presentation of clinical Data Demonstrating Functional Control of Viremia in HIV-Infected Subjects treated with SB-728-T" (Press release). Sangamo Biosciences. September 12, 2013. Archived from the original on March 7, 2014. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Official Company website
- Bloomberg TV Video about Sangamo BioSciences' HIV/AIDS functional cure
- New York Times Article about Sangamo BioSciences' HIV/AIDS functional cure
- Magazine Article mentioning Sangamo BioSciences' HIV/AIDS functional cure
- Magazine Article about Sangamo BioSciences' HIV/AIDS functional cure