The cave is located near Peshawar, in northern Pakistan, situated at an altitude of 600 metres (2,000 ft), in the Mardan district.
Middle Palaeolithic has been reported from Sanghao Cave. The cave was excavated by Ahmad Hasan Dani in 1963. Chipped stone, bones, were found during the excavation. Other items included prepared cores, scrapers, blades, flakes, triangular points, etc. Lithic artifacts were made of quartz.
- "Ancient Pakistan, Volume 1", p. 5, by University of Peshawar
- Ahmad Hasan Dani, Vadim Mikhaĭlovich Masson. History of Civilizations of Central Asia, Volume 1. Motilal Banarsidass. p. 79. ISBN 9788120814073.
- "Some Comments on the Mammalian Fauna of Sanghao Cave, a Middle Stone Age Site in Northern Pakistan", by M. Salim, 
- Marta Camps, Parth Chauhan. Sourcebook of Paleolithic Transitions: Methods, Theories, and Interpretations. p. 131. ISBN 9780387764870.
- "A Dictionary of Archaeology", by Ian Shaw, Robert Jameson, p.507, ISBN 9780470751961, published by John Wiley & Sons