|Nickname(s): Turmeric City, City of Six Lanes|
|Founded by||Harbhat Patwardhan|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Sangli-Miraj And Kupwad City Municipal Corporation (SMKMC)|
|• Mayor||Vivek Kamble|
|• Total||118.18 km2 (45.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||549 m (1,801 ft)|
|• Density||4,300/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Sangli, Maharastra|
|Climate||Dry and Arid (Köppen)|
Sangli pronunciation (help·info) is an important business city in western India which is also district headquarters of Sangli District in the state of Maharashtra, India. As it is a leading turmeric producing and trading city, it is famous as Turmeric City of Maharashtra. Sangli is situated on the banks of river Krishna and houses many sugar factories. The Ganesha Temple of Sangli is a historical landmark of the city and is visited by thousands of pilgrims.
Sangli district is situated in between the Warna and Krishna rivers. The valley of the River Krishna and its tributaries offer many irrigation and agricultural advantages which drives the Economy of the district and the city. Other small rivers, such as the Warana and the Panchganga, flow into the River Krishna. The physical settings of Sangli district shows a contrast of immense dimensions and reveals a variety of landscapes influenced by relief, climate and vegetation. The climate ranges from the rainiest in the Chandoli (Shirala) region, which has an average annual rainfall of over 4000 mm, to the driest in Atpadi and Jath tehsils where the average annual rainfall is about 500 mm. Vegetation varies from the typical monsoon forest in the western parts to scrub and poor grass in the eastern parts. The Sangli district comes under Deccan plateau geographic region.
Sangli District is an industrial hub for many industries like Menon Piston, Mahabal Metals, Chitale & Thote Dairy, Samruddhi Industries (Plastic),Umed Sizers (Textiles). Apart from that, Sangli District has a huge textile industry divided and distributed around the district in various centers such as Madhavnagar, Vita, Kadegaon, etc.
Many renowned and reputed educational institutes are located here.
- Walchand College of Engineering is one of the best engineering colleges in the state.
- Willingdon College
- Chintamanrao College of Commerce
- Government Medical College, Miraj is well known in the state for medical studies.
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University also has its campus here along with dozens of other engineering and medical colleges.
- Podar education network too have their schooling branch in Sangli.
Sangli has many local delicacies. Bhadang, a spicy puffed rice snack seasoned with garlic and peanuts is very popular. It also has Grapes, Pomegranets, Sugarcane fields.
Architecture and places of interest
- Sangli is home to the famous Ganapati Temple. Being located on the banks of river Krishna, the view of the riverfront is very scenic. Many elements of the British era can still be found.
- The Irwin Bridge built by the British still stands strong.
- The Rajwada (Royal Palace), now home to the court premises, reminds of the early days.
- Benzie, F. F.; Sissi Wachtel-Galo (2011). "13: Termeric, The Golden Spice: From TraditionalMedicine to Modern Medicine". In F. F. Benzie. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects (Second ed.). Boca Raton, FL 33487-2742, USA: CRC Press Taylor and Francis Group. p. 269. ISBN 978-1-4398-0713-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sangli.|