Sanikiluaq in December
|Electoral district||Hudson Bay|
|• Type||Hamlet Council|
|• Mayor||Joe Arragutainaq|
|• MLA||Allan Rumbolt|
|• Total||114.98 km2 (44.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||32 m (105 ft)|
|• Density||6.5/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Canadian Postal code||X0A 0W0|
The community was developed in the early 1970s to replace "South Camp", located further south in the island group.
Nuiyak School, with 23 staff, teaches Grades K-12, with 302 students enrolled. The principal is Tim Hoyt. In 2007, former Principal Lisi Kavik was named one of Canada's Outstanding Principals.
In the territorial election that was held October 27, the candidates were Allan Rumbolt, Bill Fraser and Johnny Manning. Allan Rumbolt won by a narrow margin. In the 2013 general election Allan Rumbolt was relected.
The local municipality has a Hamlet Council of elected councillors. Former acting mayor Elijassie Sala became mayor after the December 12, 2011 election, earning 87 votes, only five more than incumbent Joe Arragutainaq. In the December 9, 2013 hamlet elections, Joe Arragutainaq was once again elected mayor.
Written and directed by Joel Heath, with support from the community of Sanikiluaq, "People of a Feather" is a documentary film about the relationship between climate change, hydroelectric dams, eider ducks the people of the Belcher Islands.
- Nunavummiut elect new municipal leaders
- Results for the constituency of Hudson Bay at Elections Nunavut
- 2006 Census
- Elevation at airport. Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 6 February 2014 to 0901Z 3 April 2014
- "Canada's Outstanding Principals". The Learning Partnership. Retrieved 2007-11-23.
- Mayors-elect react to their win
- People of a Feather
- Arctic College. Stories from Sanikiluaq. Iqaluit, N.W.T.: Arctic College, Nunatta Campus, 1989. ISBN 1-55036-099-X
- Canadian Arctic Producers Co-operative Ltd. Sanikiluaq, Belcher Islands Recent Sculpture. Ottawa: Canadian Arctic Producers, 1979.
- Driscoll, Bernadette. Belcher Islands/Sanikiluaq The Winnipeg Art Gallery, June 27-August 30, 1981. Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery, 1981. ISBN 0-88915-095-8
- Kavik, Lisi, and Miriam Fleming. Qikiqtamiut Cookbook. [Sanikiluaq, Nunavut]: Municipality of Sanikiluaq, 2002. ISBN 1-896445-22-5
- Language of Sanikiluarmiut Snikiluarmiut Uquasingit. --. Sanikiluaq, N.W.T.?: s.n.], 1980s.
- Report on Business Development and Resource Management Strategies for Eider Down Industry in Sanikiluaq, N.W.T. Sanikiluaq, N.W.T.?: s.n, 1990.
- Wein, Eleanor E. Sanikiluaq Traditional Food Study Report. Edmonton: Canadian Circumpolar Institute, University of Alberta, 1995.