|Electoral district||Hudson Bay|
|• Type||Hamlet Council|
|• Mayor||Elijassie Sala|
|• MLA||Allan Rumbolt|
|• Total||114.98 km2 (44.39 sq mi)|
|Elevation||32 m (105 ft)|
|• Density||6.5/km2 (17/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Canadian Postal code||X0A 0W0|
The community was developed in the early 1970s to replace "South Camp", located further south in the island group.
Nuiyak School, with 23 staff, teaches Grades K-12, with 302 students enrolled. The principal is Tim Hoyt. In 2007, former Principal Lisi Kavik was named one of Canada's Outstanding Principals.
The community is in the Hudson Bay Electoral District and the previous Member of the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut is Peter Kattuk who was replaced by Allan Rumbolt in the 2008 general election. The recent territorial election was held October 27, 2008 and one of three candidates was narrowly elected to the Legislative Assembly in Iqaluit. The candidates were Allan Rumbolt, Bill Fraser and Johnny Manning. Allan Rumbolt won by a narrow margin. The local Municipality has a Hamlet Council of elected councilors. Former acting mayor Elijassie Sala became mayor after the Dec. 12, 2011 election, earning 87 votes, only five more than incumbent Joe Arragutainaq.
- Mayors-elect react to their win
- Hamlets elect new councils
- Results for the constituency of Hudson Bay at Elections Nunavut
- 2006 Census
- Elevation at airport. Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 17 October 2013 to 0901Z 12 December 2013
- "Canada's Outstanding Principals". The Learning Partnership. Retrieved 2007-11-23.
- Arctic College. Stories from Sanikiluaq. Iqaluit, N.W.T.: Arctic College, Nunatta Campus, 1989. ISBN 1-55036-099-X
- Canadian Arctic Producers Co-operative Ltd. Sanikiluaq, Belcher Islands Recent Sculpture. Ottawa: Canadian Arctic Producers, 1979.
- Driscoll, Bernadette. Belcher Islands/Sanikiluaq The Winnipeg Art Gallery, June 27-August 30, 1981. Winnipeg: Winnipeg Art Gallery, 1981. ISBN 0-88915-095-8
- Kavik, Lisi, and Miriam Fleming. Qikiqtamiut Cookbook. [Sanikiluaq, Nunavut]: Municipality of Sanikiluaq, 2002. ISBN 1-896445-22-5
- Language of Sanikiluarmiut Snikiluarmiut Uquasingit. --. Sanikiluaq, N.W.T.?: s.n.], 1980s.
- Report on Business Development and Resource Management Strategies for Eider Down Industry in Sanikiluaq, N.W.T. Sanikiluaq, N.W.T.?: s.n, 1990.
- Wein, Eleanor E. Sanikiluaq Traditional Food Study Report. Edmonton: Canadian Circumpolar Institute, University of Alberta, 1995.