Sanjuro (Martial Arts)
The Sanjuro grading system is externally validated by AQA.
Sanjuro and Special Educational Needs
Sanjuro Martial Arts training is employed in teaching children and adults with a range of special educational needs and disabilities, including partial sight and blindness, autism, and a variety of other physical and learning difficulties.
In the BBC Two programme, Life: Karate Kids, three disabled students of Sanjuro are featured learning the martial art as a technique to gain better control of their bodies. The documentary, narrated by David Tennant was nominated in Children's: Factual section of the Bafta Awards in 2010
In September 2013, Jackie Chan's charity, The Dragon's Heart Foundation, funded a 12 month programme in Tottenham, London, citing Sanjuro's emphasis on encouraging confidence and safety above violence.
Sanjuro is practiced by a number of actors and other professionals in the creative sector including:
- Haruka Kuroda, London-based Japanese actress, known for performing the voice of Noodle in the band Gorillaz
- Alexander Doetsch, German-born actor, known for appearing with Matt Smith as Caspar in Christopher and His Kind
- JC Connington, Musical solo artist - BIGHOUSEBURNING & lead singer of Electronic rock band Junkstar
- Lawrence Carmichael, Australian actor and musical theatre performer
- Tim Davenport, American actor and fight Director
- Kit Friend, member of Conservative Future and campaigner against unpaid internships in the UK creative industries
- John Walsh (filmmaker), BAFTA nominated film-maker and Conservative Party candidate for Middlesbrough (UK Parliament constituency) in the United Kingdom general election, 2010 as featured in the film Tory Boy.
-  Official website for Sanjuro Martial Arts
-  UK and European Arm of Jackie Chan's Dragon's Heart Charity Foundation
- "Youngblood Stage Combat, Sanjuro Martial Arts".
- "CULTURE AND THE 2012 GAMES, Engaging marginalised young people through arts and sport".
- "Disabled martial arts classes hit the mark". Ellesmere Port Standard. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Haringey Youth Centres and Services".
- "PARAde festival celebrates disability arts and sports". 28 August 2012.
- Jackson, Kate (10 March 2010). "Disabled Tim's karate hope". London: The Sun. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Karate Kids".
- "Bafta Children's Factual in 2010"..
- "JC Dragon’s Heart Europe & Sanjuro Martial Arts".
- "Alexander Doetsch on IMDb".
- "Official JC Connington site".
- Emerging band with Hornsey link rival Paul Weller for top chart spot Harper, Paul (August 31, 2011). "Emerging band with Hornsey link rival Paul Weller for top chart spot".
- "Lawrence Carmichael Portfolio".
- "Tim Davenport on IMDb". Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- Andrews, Emily (14 February 2010). "David Cameron accused of 'bussing in' Tory supporters to pose as students during speech on 'openness and trust'". London: The Daily Mail.
- "A Year for Change on the NUS".
- Friend, Kit (28 November 2011). "The creative industries need to focus on talent rather than free labour". London: The Guardian.
- "Tory Boy The Movie". British Film Council.