||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2013)|
The Sankaraparani River originates on the western slope of Gingee Hill in Viluppuram District of the State of Tamil Nadu. It has two source, one in the Pakkammalai hills and one in the mountains of Melmalayanur. They join near Thenpalai village to form the main river. Sankaraparani is also known as Varahanadi or Gingee River.
River Sankaraparani, flows to the east. The Annamangalam surplus joins near Melacheri. Then the river turns south in eastern part of Singavaram village and then flows east again. Second tributary Nariyar Odai joins Sankaraparani near Uranithangai village.
From Vidur reservoir, Sankaraparani flows southeast. Pambaiyar tributary joins near Radhapuram. Then Sankaraparani enters Puducherry Union Territory at Manalipet. Pambai tributary joins Sankaraparani near Sellipet.
Then Guduvaiyar River, the last tributary joins near Boat House. At this point, Sankaraparani is also called Chunnambar. From here it flows for 2 km before draining into Bay of Bengal at Paradise beach.
The total length of the river is 78.5 kilometres (48.8 mi). Of the total length, 34 km flows in Puducherry.
Sankaraparani river has six tributaries namely
- Annamangalam surplus
- Nariyar Odai
Ancient temples are located on the banks of Sankaraparani. Out of 22 Paadal Petra Sthalam in Nadu Naadu, four temples are located on the banks of Sankaraparani.
Temples in Villupuram district include:
- Ranganathar Koil, Singavaram
- Ramanatheeswarar Koil, Esalam
- Azhagiyanathar Koil, Thiruvaamaathur (Paadal Petra Sthalam)
- Panankatteesar Koil, Puravar Panankattur (Paadal Petra Sthalam)
- Chandarasekarar Temple, Thiruvakarai (Paadal Petra Sthalam)
Temples in Puducherry district include:
- Mahedevar Koil, Madagadipet
- Perumal Koil, Thirubhuvanai
- Vadugurnathar Koil, Thiruvandarkoil (Vadukkur)(Paadal Petra Sthalam)
- Thirukameswarar Koil, Villianur
- Kasi Vishwanathar Koil, Thirukanchi
- Genga Varahanadheeswarar Koil, Thirukanchi
- Vidur Reservoir
- Ossudu Lake Boat House, Poraiyur Agaram
- Chunnambar Boat House, Ariyankuppam
- "Welcome to Pondicherry ::The only resort where history meets future". Le Pondy. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Hotel Kailash Beach Resort - Home". Kailashbeachhotel.in. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Pondicherry-Pondicherry Travel and Tourism". Thewindflower.com. Retrieved 2013-05-12.