|Sankagiri / Sankari
In Tamil சங்ககிரி
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sankagiri (In Tamil சங்ககிரி and by written it is Sankari) is a panchayat town and Taluk in Salem district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is situated on the National Highway 47, on the Coimbatore - Salem section.
As of the 2009 India census[update], Sankari had a population of 1,34,567. Male constitute 52% of the population and female 48%. Sankari has an average literacy rate of 68%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: Male literacy is 75%, and female literacy is 60%. In Sankari, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age. 40% percent of the people are engaged in agriculture, the remaining are lorry proprietors. Around Sankari many Schools are there. Now the education and the literacy rate of the people around is increasing rapidly.
Sankagiri Fort was built in the 15th century by the Vijayanagar empire. It has 14 fort walls built on and around a hill and the last phase these walls were built by the British. The fort served as a British tax storage facility for Kongu Nadu, a region comprising the districts of Salem, Erode, Coimbatore, Tiruppur, Namakkal, Karur and Dindigul.
It was an important military base for Tippu Sultan and later for the British army. This is because only one side of the hill is climbable, as all the others are too steep to climb. This has a death well, granary, two oil godowns, one explosives godown, two masjids, 2 Chenna Kesava Perumal temples, former British Army administrative buildings, and cemeteries formerly used by armies that were stationed at the fort.
Sankari - is pronounced as San-ka-giri in Tamil. As the hill looks like "oyster" the name is so called. Before 20 years the people in Sankagiri was fully engaged in Agriculture. But today the trend has totally changed. Now Sankagiri is one of the leading Truck transport town in the country. India Cements one of the major cement companies is located in Sankagiri. The other important source is steel rolling mills and alloys. More than 6 steel alloys are there.
Whole town has been surrounded by lot of lorry body builders,paint shops.Sankagiri has been the largest consumer of diesel in south India for so many years. Though Thiruchengode take credit for bore well, Sankagiri is known for 10 wheel/12 wheel trucks. Ashok Leyland has set up a separate showroom for this town alone.
Places of interest
Sankagiri is also famous for its fort where Tipu Sultan was preventing the British forces to have an easy access to Coimbatore. At Sankari in 1960 only around 25 goods vehicle were operated and now 25,000 goods vehicle are being operated by 2000 lorry owners in 2005, whereas many people around this place use the railway station located at Sankari RS. In Sankagiri, the king Tipu Sultan has constructed a secret underground passage to Mysore city in the 18th century.
Orukkamalai, Varadaraja Perumal Temple on top of a hill, about 5 km away from Sankagiri.located at (Sankargari to Konganapuram Road) Pooja on Saturday.
CSI Nathaniel Memorial Church, Sankari. This a 125 Year old church in this area. The church comes under The C.S.I Coimbatore Diocese.
Morur West Sri Nallapulliyannan Temple
The famous National Highway 47 passes via Sankagiri. It is one of the busiest road in the state. Buses are more frequently available for Sankari. Trains from Coimbatore <-> Chennai passes through Sankari Railway station. A one trip Buses are available to Chennai, Villupuram, Chidambaram, Neyvelli and so many places.
The nearest railway station is Sankari Durg (station code SGE).
The distance from Sankaridurg to some important places is
- To Chennai 375 km
- To Coimbatore 121 km
- To Bangalore 220 km
- To Kochi 305 km
- To Yercaud 68 km
- To Karur 80 km
- To Salem 41 km
- To Namakkal 50 km
- To Erode 28 km
Sankari assembly constituency is part of Salem (Lok Sabha constituency). In 2011 state election, DMK candidate Veerapandi Arumugam had been defeated by huge margin by ADMK candidate Vijayalakshmi Palanisamy. People have been promised flyover near Sankagiri R.S and an ARTS and Science college by present ruling party MLA, Vijayalakshmi Palanisamy.
- K.R.P Nursery and Primary School, Sankagiri
- Apple Kids, Near RTO Office and PRM Marriage Hall
- Kongu Nursery and Primary, Santhaipattai
- Blossoms(K.R.P, Educational Trust)
- CSI Nursery and Primary School, Sankari
Higher Secondary Schools
- Government Higher Secondary School for Boys, Sankagiri
- Government Higher Secondary School for Girls, Sankagiri
- Sankar Higher Secondary School, Sankagiri West
- Government Higher Secondary School, Sankagiri RS
- K.R.P Matric Higher Secondary School, Sankagiri West. Pachampalayam
- PSG Matric. Higher Secondary School, Sankagiri
- PSF Matriculation School, Sankari East
- K.A.N Govt Higher Secondary School Konganapuram
- Sri Amman Matriculation Higher Secondary School. Vaikuntham
- Akash vidhya bhavan matriculatilation higher secondary school.
Arts and Science College/s
- PSG Arts and Science College,sankagiri.
- Shree Sathyam College of Engineering and Technology, Kuppanur, Sankagiri
- Shri Shanmuga College of Engineering, Morur,Sankagiri.
The list of branches of banks are
→ State Bank of India (SBI) → kotak mahindra Bank → Federal Bank → Indusind Bank → Canara Bank → HDFC Bank → ICICI Bank → Axis Bank → Indian Bank → Punjab National Bank → Lakshmi Vilas Bank (LVB) → Tamilnad Mercantile Bank (TMB → Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) → Karur Vysya Bank (KVB)
- Saravana Theater
- Sri Murugan Theater
- Kanthan Theater
- India Cements Ltd. , Sankagiri West
- IOC, Sankagiri RS
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sankagiri.|