Sanmen Nuclear Power Station
|Sanmen Nuclear Power Station|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Location||Sanmen County, Taizhou, Zhejiang|
|Owner(s)||China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) |
|Operator(s)||Sanmen Nuclear Power Co.|
|Nuclear power station|
|Reactor type||AP1000 PWR|
|Units under const.||2 x 1100 MW|
|Units planned||4 x 1100 MW|
|This article is outdated. (December 2013)|
The Sanmen Nuclear Power Station (Chinese: 三门核电站) is a nuclear power station under construction in Sanmen County, Zhejiang Province in China. Groundbreaking for the first and second units was held February 26, 2008, and construction is planned to start on the third and fourth units during 2009.
Sanmen NPS will be the first implementation of the AP1000 pressurized water reactor (PWR) developed by Westinghouse Electric Company. The contract was agreed in July 2007. Announcement of the project start came roughly twelve months after Westinghouse won a bidding contest over other companies. The contract for the new plant involved The Shaw Group (now Chicago Bridge and Iron), a minority shareholder in Westinghouse. Westinghouse is controlled by Japanese giant Toshiba. The Shaw Group will provide engineering, procurement, commissioning, information management and project management services. The first pair of reactors will cost more than 40 billion yuan (US$5.88 billion).
Excavation for the first unit was completed in September 2008. Quality of the pit was certified, putting the project 67 days ahead of schedule. Construction of Sanmen Unit 1 began on April 19, 2009, as the first 5,200 m³ of concrete were poured for the foundation, in a ceremony attended by State Nuclear Power Technology Corporation (SNPTC) chair Wang Binghua and Westinghouse CEO Aris Candris. First concrete for Sanmen 2 was poured on December 15, 2009. It is meant to begin operation in June 2014.
|Unit||Type||Construction start||Operation start||Notes|
|Sanmen 1||AP1000||April 19, 2009||2014|||
|Sanmen 2||AP1000||December 15, 2009||2015|||
- "Nuclear Power Reactor Details - SANMEN 1". Power Reactor Information System (PRIS). International Atomic Energy Agency. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "First 3rd-generation nuclear plant to be built". Xinhua News Agency. 2008-02-27. Retrieved 2008-07-30.
- "Nuclear power in China". Information Papers: Country Briefings. World Nuclear Association (WNA). June 2008. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Westinghouse and Shaw Sign Historic Contracts to Provide Four AP1000 Nuclear Power Plants in China". Business Wire. 24 July 2007. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "China starts building 3rd-generation nuclear power reactors using Westinghouse technologies". Xinhua. April 19, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- "Sanmen excavation completed early". World Nuclear News. September 2, 2008.
- "1st phase of Sanmen nuclear plant under construction in E China". Xinhua. April 19, 2009.
- "First concrete at Sanmen". World Nuclear News (WNA). April 20, 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Sanmen 2 under construction". World Nuclear News (WNA). 16 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- Sanmen Nuclear Power Company Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Corporate News" State Nuclear Power Technology Corporation (SNPTC). Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- "Sanmen Nuclear Power Company, Ltd." China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC). Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- Sanmen Nuclear Power Plant, Zhejiang Province, China